Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Spots from glaze?

Posted by John Wilt 
Spots from glaze?
April 05, 2002 02:24PM
Last night I decieded to give my car a good cleaning. I started with the crystal paint cleaner using and orbital buffer. Product went on easy and was removed by hand. The next step was show car glaze, done w/ and orbital and removed by hand. Problem was here. I started at the hood and worked down the fenders. As I was doing the hood I noticed "dry" spots forming in the glaze. I continued the car until I was done. Removed the product by hand again. When I got to the hood, the spots would not come out, not unless I used some serious elbow grease. I have had this happen before, but never the entire body panel. As I buffed the hood, you could see the product dry as soon as the buffer when over it. So, after I got rid of the majority of the spots, I hit the hood with Dual Action cleaner/polish. The hood came out beautiful this time. After I removed the cleaner polish by hand, I re-glazed it with no problem. I finished with Poly sealant with no additional problems.
So, what caused the glaze to spot like that?
Re: Spots from glaze?
April 05, 2002 05:45PM
The show car glaze is VERY water sensitive. Water/moisture will make it "gum up" into spots like you described that are a pain to remove. Also applying the polish too thick will caause this.

The show car polish is one of those things where "a little goes a LONG way." The easiest way to get the spots off is to apply a second coating of polish, it will 'disolve' itself' and leave the finish looking great.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
Dan
April 06, 2002 06:48AM
I used to use the #7, but have switched to Speed glaze, if you want a great glaze that will actually remove some of those scratches your hiding, try this, use your DA with the speed glaze(a little goes a long way), This is a key secret you are going to want to give me by air mail $100 for, dont wipe off the glaze after you apply to the entire car, then apply your sealant right over your previously applied glaze, #20 and most sealants will clean away your glaze, it will come out killer! Try one section if you dont belive me
oli
April 08, 2002 03:55PM
Dan, I liked your thoughts and will also give it a try. I don't have the problems mentioned above, but would like to ask you about Speed Glaze?
Who makes it and is it readily available?
Thanks
April 08, 2002 07:55PM
Hmm, sounds kinda like a Zaino application. Applying one over the other. I use show car on my car, because it is black and looks great when I am done. I normally use speed glaze on "friends" cars I clean for them. The results are good, but I have never compared them to a show car glaze. What about dual action followed by sealant?
April 09, 2002 01:14AM
Hey john Wilt :

What is this "Show Car" that you are using ? Who makes it and exactly what is it called ?
April 09, 2002 01:00PM
Meguiars makes it, its #7 Show Car Glaze.
April 09, 2002 08:06PM
i have been using the meguirs swirl free polish and am very happy with the results. it gives you a very smooth finish and removes most medium and finer scrathes. it works with an orbital as well as a high speed buffer,using the soft foam finishing pads. it reminds me of the #7 both in the residue and the smell,and as was said,a little goes a long way,you may want to give it a try

mike at the shine shop
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login