Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Removing wax from trim

Posted by Jim Haley 
Removing wax from trim
April 12, 2004 12:59PM
<HTML>I am having major diffculty removing stubborn wax from the black trim on door panels. Can anyone suggest a method or a product that can be used?</HTML>
Re: Removing wax from trim
April 12, 2004 02:23PM
<HTML>Jim,

There are a number of products on the market to tackle this job, however the key is to use a soft bristle brush during the cleaning process. That will help to get your cleaning product into the small grain-like crevices of the trim.

For removing heavy wax situations from exterior trim (usually caused by the inexperience of someone else) I've found that WD40 usually works very well.</HTML>

April 12, 2004 02:50PM
<HTML>There is no automatic answer as every wax/sealant is different and so are trims. Some you can get off very easy and others you can do everything and use every product and it still does not come off.

The key issue is to not get it on the trim in the firstplace. I would recommend taping those trims you know will cause problems. For example, I recall the VW Rabbits were a bear and also the late model Ford PU's and SUV's are a problem.

You need something solvent-based to breakup the solvent based wax/sealant.

You can also try the pressure washer real close to the affected trim.

Regards
Bud Abraham

PS Tell us what works for you in the end.</HTML>

buda
April 12, 2004 02:50PM
<HTML>There is no automatic answer as every wax/sealant is different and so are trims. Some you can get off very easy and others you can do everything and use every product and it still does not come off.

The key issue is to not get it on the trim in the firstplace. I would recommend taping those trims you know will cause problems. For example, I recall the VW Rabbits were a bear and also the late model Ford PU's and SUV's are a problem.

You need something solvent-based to breakup the solvent based wax/sealant.

You can also try the pressure washer real close to the affected trim.

Regards
Bud Abraham

PS Tell us what works for you in the end.</HTML>

buda
April 12, 2004 06:11PM
<HTML>For something cheap and local, Mothers Back to Black.

Why not use a product that does not stain the trim? It would, over a year save hours and hours of work "detailing after detailing", plus the added time and expense of taping, etc.

With higher end products, you do not get the stains and build up like the cheaper stuff. In the long run, it more than pays for itself..., just apply over everything, no stains, no build up, no extra work..., PLUS, most of the high end products have UV inhibitors that will protect not only the paint, but the trim and help keep it from fading...,
Great for customer confidencesmiling smiley</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
<HTML>Before we apply any protective product to outside we spray all the trim with a detail spray like some of us use for vents and black areas of interior....if employee gets any on trim it comes off when wiping the trim down with a sponge or foam before delivery. I also use a electric toothbrush and a quick detailer to get areas that wasnt my doing!!!!These little battery powered toothbrushs for 6.99 are the bomb for so many places from wheels to door handles.Mothers back to black is really good if you can have a trim renewer made thats 75% silicone then mix the back to black with a quart of this and after a few hours its as rain resistant as any thing Ive tried and the bottom trim on the new jeeps 01 and up I have seen it last a week and a half and 2 rain NCarolina rain sessions.Dont know about you fellows in Seattle thou HA HA</HTML>
April 17, 2004 06:16AM
<HTML>what about water stains, brownish orange stain on soft window trim of late model car can't seem to get rid of... back to black?
whatever works quick cheap n easy please.
thanks Ryan @ Mobile Pro</HTML>
<HTML>I cant picture what your describing....anybody else know what hes talking about</HTML>
April 18, 2004 01:05AM
<HTML>Speed Bead. A poster on here a while back tried it and loved it.

Do a search for rubber seals, Speed Bead.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
April 18, 2004 05:28AM
<HTML>Hey William,I was talking about a brown stain on the rubber strip under the windows (caused by well water)with water spots to boot.
I was told the spots could be taken off with a water spot remover but the stain was here to stay.
Well glad it isn't my car but upset to let my customer down,that was the one trouble area she asked me to focus on.
Thanks for the info,
Ryan</HTML>
<HTML>When all else fails a little laquer thinner on a rag and rub very easy,if this dosnt work why not dye it with trim paint ,the Sem 's Landau black is as perfect of a match color wise on trim as there is I think....just tape and fog a small amount until it disappears ,dont load up as it might make the problem overall look tacky.Just an ideal!</HTML>
April 19, 2004 03:06AM
<HTML>Klasse All In One works great for removing wax off trim actually it wont stain trim at all www.klassedirect.com use it on a Porsche Friday</HTML>
April 19, 2004 04:57PM
<HTML>I have found a white drafters eraser works better than most anything else I have tried and they readily available everywhere!

Back to Black seems to merely just cover up a problem in my opinion. Especially on things like jeep fender flares that seem to soak up wax.

Since erasers have worked so well for me I might try the new Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. My wife picked some up and they do work amazing well around the house.</HTML>

David
April 19, 2004 06:39PM
<HTML>Our ETR-II kit is not a cover-up, rather the one that Hyundai and Mazda have used on over 32,000 new vehicles combined to solve concerns, rather than replace millions of dollars worth of trim.

It is on special right now, at www.autoint.com, big savings, and free shipping if you are interested.

Ketch</HTML>

<HTML>Ryan @ Mobile Pro> If I were guessing the Orange STain and spots from your well water is probably iron. Then if it is, you may have to use a acid wash, and then an akaline neutralizer, to get this stuff off. I detailed a friend of mines Freightliner, and it had some of the same orange that you are talking about. If you do try acid, start out easy ,say with vinegar, or lemon juice. Then if that don't work, you could try Muratic acid cut at about 20 to1. 20 parts D I water,and 1 part acid. When mixing, be sure to put the water into the bottle 1st, and then the 1 part acid into. If you mix in the reverse order, it could blow up in your face. Be sure to use a face shield and rubber gloves, the mixture of soda and water, rinsing very liberaly.</HTML>
April 20, 2004 01:37AM
<HTML>I have used Valugards Etr kit and does what it is supposed to do. I put it on my Tacoma 4x4 lower valance. The next day I pressured washed it with 180 degree 1500psi , and didnt phase it. Great product. I was super skeptical at first. I previously just touched up trim with SEM trim paint.</HTML>
April 20, 2004 12:55PM
<HTML>I also just tried Ron's Valugard ETR kit on a '99 Explorer and am very impressed! If you have plastic that doesn't need restoring, just protection, you can use just the last step UV Gard alone. This process is supposed to last many years! It helped me that Valugard was only about 15 minutes from my shop (I had no idea) and I was able to get face to face instructions on the process, but it is really pretty basic.</HTML>
April 21, 2004 01:13AM
<HTML>Just checked out the web site. The "special" is $50. It consists of a Prep, Color and Protectant.

Why not just use Prep-Sol, Alcohol ot other cleaner...,
Then use a dye the color you want, depending on the trim...,
Then apply a UV protecting, non-staining sealant over it.

I would assume most any detailer would already have these items in his/her arsenal of products, you would not have anything extra to spend and it works great!! No complaints yetsmiling smiley</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
April 22, 2004 05:31AM
<HTML>wow thanks for all the help .
Brandy I think I liked your suggestions best for starters I have had many a muriatic acid bath in my days of pools.
start with mild and move on up the line.
I see that car again on Monday,I'll try to let ya all know how it turns out...

does anyone else find it hard to find time to post and rspond here?
Oh well thanks again guy's
Ryan@MobileProDetailing@Yahoo.com</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login