Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Rotary Buffer haze...

Posted by Brian Lupo 
Rotary Buffer haze...
April 27, 2004 11:23PM
<HTML>Well, I went back at it with my NSX and the Makita the other day. It left a bad finish on my car. I think the pad may have been dirty (foam waffle pad) because it left noticeable swirls and this 3D looking haze on the car. If you see it in the light, the haze moves like you have 3D glasses on and its not really on the car.

Any idea how to get rid of that? I use 3M Swirl Remover, Meguiars Polish and a polymer wax that I get from a guy in Miami (not a name brand, but awesome results usually!)

Also, how do you clean pads when they get dirty? Foam? Wool?

Thanks in advance!</HTML>
Re: Rotary Buffer haze...
April 28, 2004 12:40AM
<HTML>Einszett polihes will easily get rid of the marks and give you a beautifull mirror-like shine everyone will be envious ofsmiling smiley

For your pads...,
When I am buffing, I have a 5 gallon bucket of hot water and Dawn dish detergent near by.
When I am finished using the pad and switch to a different pad, I put the dirty pad in the bucket and let soak.
It is a LOT easier to clean when you are ready to thoroughly clean them.
Again, for final cleaning, same method.
Dawn dish detergent works as a good cleaner for buffing pads.</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
April 28, 2004 02:34PM
<HTML>Brian:

There could be many reasons for the swirls:

1. As you say, dirty pad could be the problem
2. Too aggressive a compound for the condition of the paint
3. Too aggressive a pad for the condition of the paint

If you use to aggressive a compound and/or pad on paint that does not call
for such aggressiveness you will get, not swirls, but scratches in the form of swirls and you will not be able to take them out with a swirl remover. You will need to use a light compound and less aggressive cutting pad to take them out and then a swirl remover and polishing pad.

4. Technique, that is use of buffer could be wrong.
5. Speed of buffer could be too fast.

YOu clean wool pads by spurring them with a buffing spur during buffing. You can spray them with chemical and then hit them with a pressure washer, same with foam pads. Then put on buffer and spin out the water and let them dry. Critical you do this everyday.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
April 28, 2004 02:47PM
<HTML>other reasons could be

1. not using enough product ( running pad too dry )
2. moving machine too slowly/too fast for amount of product and product chosen.
3. not working the product long enough for it to break down and do its job
4. all the other reasons mentioned</HTML>
April 28, 2004 04:25PM
<HTML>I think it was the dirty pad, as i was just using a light swirl remover for dark cars from 3M...nothing too aggressive. I had excellent results before but i felt they could get better but they didn't. gonna try it again next time its not raining.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login