Paint Thickness Gauge

Posted by Frank Canna 
Paint Thickness Gauge
April 28, 2004 05:26PM
<HTML>Any specific recommendations? Types? Prices?</HTML>

Re: Paint Thickness Gauge
April 28, 2004 07:02PM
<HTML>What type gauge are you now using?</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
April 28, 2004 10:21PM
<HTML>There are several types and makes of paint guages

Magnetic Paint Guage- Inexpensive ( $15.00 $80.00)–
measures non-ferrous coatings on steel

Electronic Paint Guage - Expensive- $400. $600
Accurately measures non-ferrous coatings on steel

Electronic Paint Guage – More Expensive – $600.00 $1000.00
Dual Accurately measures ferrous and non ferrous Coatings on steel

Electronic Paint Guage – Very Expensive – $1000.00 $6000.00
Accurately measures coatings on plastic and Fiber glass

Electronic Paint Guage - Most Expensive – Accurately measures ferrous/non/ferrous/plastic and glass

Manufacturers or names of some of these gauges include:
Pro Motor, ETG Guages
ElectroPhysik USA
Checkline
Quanix
Defelsko
Elcometer
Electromatic
Stresstel

I use both an ETG and ElectroPhysik Guage for ferrous and non ferrous paint coatings-</HTML>
April 28, 2004 10:44PM
<HTML>We offer the magnetic pencil unit for $49.95

I have a digital electronic unit that will probably sell for $795 which I let you have for $600.

Regards
Bud Abraham
buda@detailplus.com</HTML>

buda
April 28, 2004 10:50PM
<HTML>Wow, $49.99..., thats high!!!
I am selling that model for $35, including shippingsmiling smiley</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
April 29, 2004 12:56AM
<HTML>Hey Guys...,
Anyone interested in one of those expensive gauges..., here is a good deal-
Only $425 for a digital gauge.
Just trying to help hunt out the good deals for those interestedsmiling smiley</HTML>

www.waynestowels.com
April 29, 2004 01:26AM
<HTML>Never used one ---- never needed one.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
January 16, 2005 11:01PM
<HTML>Wayne:

Where are you buying yours from? I have been buying the same guage from the same company for 15 years and their cost to me is higher than your $35. What kind of guage is it? Same one?

I know there are many magnetic guages possibly yours is something different than mine?

Where can I see it on line?

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
January 17, 2005 02:25AM
<HTML>We are still offering the ETG Mini electronic gauge to PDTA members for the very low price, look at the PDTA site, but must be a member.

A "magnetic" is like going bear hunting with a paring knife, not accurate, not easy to use and how can you use it to upsell the customer on your work if they can't read it?

I always use the "which doctor are you going to trust, the one that just looks at you, or the one that really uses technology to "diagnois" your concern?"

Potential customers that have the money to really pay for quality work, expect a professional to do the work, and a professional, be it a doctor, accountant, attornery, or a quality mechanic, has "diagnoistic" tools that are used for more than one reason.

All of the above, sit you down and perform "some sort of diagnostic" function, be it just a "questioning of condition" or use of equipement, to arrive at their recommendation for "treatment".

An electronic guage, is not only an important "diagnositic" tool for todays paint systems, it is a "sales" tool.

Honest, I don't care where you buy it, what you pay for it, but "learn to use it to your and the customer's benefit", it's a great tool.

Ketch

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
January 17, 2005 02:27AM
<HTML>Joe, that is very interesting reply.

So, you have all the expertise, and what the vehicle manufacturer's, the paint supplier's require, an electronic gauge, means they are stupid, right?

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
January 17, 2005 10:03AM
<HTML>Bud,
What model do you carry?

Grumpy is 100% correct. We personally use the Fischer Deltascope, easier to use and very very accurate, stores readings, etc, etc...</HTML>

www.waynestowels.com
January 17, 2005 02:54PM
<HTML>Ketch,

That was posted back in April. I have used one just to say "I HAVE USED ONE" since.

Believe it or not, I can eye ball a finish and know if it has been refinished or not. I know about how much material is removed (in mils) by color sanding, buffing w/ wool pad, w/ foam pad, etc......I know when I can go crazy on a finish or just take it easy.

And so far (since I was knee high to a grass hopper) no problems.

I had the opportunity to play with a high dollar gauge recently and a MBZ hood that had factory paint on it just to see if I was screwing up finishes or what. I figured I have been "lucky" all these years but I need a way for my techs (yep I am going big this year) to measure finishes and buff finishes to a predetermined standard

I colorsand then "grinded" on the hood with a wool pad. I measured before and after every step. I was under .3 mils.

By the way, my Riv measures 2.2 mils (WOW!) and the 57 chevy 12 mils.</HTML>

January 17, 2005 03:02PM
<HTML>Here is a write up I did awhile back using the gauge on that MBZ hood. Copy and paste this address -

www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4013&perpage=10&highlight=mils&pagenumber=1</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login