Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Exterior Plastic Trim

Posted by Steve Solomon 
Exterior Plastic Trim
April 10, 2002 11:47PM
There are 5 coats of Zymol wax on my new black Volvo done with much exuberance. Too much I'm afraid. Been trying for weeks to remove the dried up wax on the plastic trim. My latest product that fails is One Grand Tar, Gum and Wax Remover. The chalky white stuff looks terrible. Yes I'm desparate for help. Help!
Re: Exterior Plastic Trim
April 11, 2002 05:05PM
you should have applied tape to your trim before waxing
April 13, 2002 06:04PM
there is usually a good debate on the vwvortex forum about peanutbutter removing the stuff. check it out. i haven't tried it yet,so i can't say it works.
April 15, 2002 12:08AM
A former detail shop owner insisted I try the basic Armour-All, regardless of what solvents and dressings I already tried. I was stunned by the immediate results. What a relief! I was advised a additional application or two may be needed while the chalky debris fades away, which I was assured will, regardless of the deep pores in the pastic. Whew!
Since there are lots of dressings on the market today. The original Armor All will never let you down. Since Armor All started it all out in the industry, they must be doing something right! It's always good to have a bottle hidden away on the shelf when in a bind.
April 15, 2002 12:34AM
that volvo trim is tricky. it is usually very fine grained and i don't think that the a/all will work.(dressing didn't for me) you might want to try a detail style paint brush and some all purpose or adhesive remover. i agree with toddco on the a/all, it is not as bad as many make it out to be.
April 15, 2002 03:25AM
Many thanx to the following:

------members of this forum for their explanations and advice.
------ the detail man at the Volvo dealership
------the technician at CarCare for his detailed explanation
------and Vic the former detail shop owner who I just met at a party yesterday.
-------and to the manufacturers of Armour-All

Worth noting that Volvo does warn the dealers to stay away from the trim when prepping.

The Zymol is doing its job.....I cant imagine anything better for black cars, but I will be trying p21s when I run out.
April 17, 2002 01:10PM
I had this happen on the BMW I just did. I found a toothbrush loaded up with a silicon tire dressing took it all away!
April 17, 2002 01:47PM
Glad everything worked out for you!

Now in the future, if you dress your trim with armorall BEFORE waxing, you will find that the wax doesn't stick to it as bad. You may have to lightly touch up with dressing after as well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login