Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Pressure Washer???

Posted by ETdesign 
Pressure Washer???
May 04, 2004 09:08PM
<HTML>My dad picked up an el cheapo electric pressure washer so I figure I'd try it out. It's a Karcher @1400 psi. Anyhow, is there any way to remove the haze left on the paint after washing a vehicle besides for rubbing it off with a towel or am I using the washer incorrectly??? It almost reminds me of the soap ring that is left around the bath tub. All of the heavy soil comes off but it leaves behind a film.

Joe C.</HTML>
Re: Pressure Washer???
May 05, 2004 12:54AM
<HTML>You're not going to get a car clean with just pressure spray alone. You need to hand-wash the car and use the pressure washer to rinse. A pressure washer is a great tool to speed up rinsing and help remove bugs, mud, etc., but it is not going to clean the car for you.</HTML>
May 05, 2004 01:09AM
<HTML>The PW is not leaing a film on the car. What car wash shampoo are you using? Did you use it when the paint was warm/hot? It sounds like the film is soap residue that dried before you could rinse.

R Regan</HTML>

&quot;Put your car in the Winner's Circle&quot;
WC Detailing Products
Cyclo, MF Towels, Clay, and more!
visit: www.winnerscircledetailingproducts.com
May 05, 2004 09:21PM
<HTML>What had happened is that when I sprayed the vehicle with or without soap (nothing special but generic soap bought at Walmart to try the machine) while wet, the vehicle looked clean. If I would dry it off with a soft towel, the towel would look filthy dirty after wiping. If I didn't wipe, I had no shine. This is where the haze came into play. Washing was done in the shade about 7am so the paint didn't get a chance to get warm yet.

I know what you mean about the soap residue because I did that the 1st time but this is completely different. I would soap up and then rinse before it dried.

Could I have possibly misunderstood the concept of a pressure washer??? I thought it was quick rinse, soap then rinse again before the soap dried. No rubbing required. After that, just go on to waxing...

Joe</HTML>
May 05, 2004 10:10PM
<HTML>What's this I keep hearing about a film being left behind on a finish after use? A guy at the yacht club used a pressure washer on his boat and told me he doesn't like using them because they leave a film. I've never seen this so I think Rob's explaination is right on the money.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
May 06, 2004 05:48AM
<HTML>The reason I suggested it was because I once had a new customer with a black Merc. SUV. She was frustrated with the local "hand car wash" (owned by local tunnel car wash that used same employees). After I washed it the first time, I noticed a white film all over the car. I had to wash it and use a little all purpose (diluted) to get that film off. After that, I never saw a residue, or film again.

Get yourself a better quality auto shampoo and try a little section at a time. How's the paint besides that problem you are having. A red oxidized car with water on it looks red until it dries.

R Regan</HTML>

WC Detailing Products
May 06, 2004 02:53PM
<HTML>What you see left on the vehicle is the second part of soil that is on the finish of most vehicles, OIL FILM.

That is why touchless carwashes use a "two step process" when the wash with chemical and high pressure. It is the only way, and not even in some cases, to get the car clean without friction.

The first application is a hydroflouric acid bath followed by a neutralizing bath of high alkaline chemical. Working together they release the bond that the soil has on the vehicle's finish.

But with this chemical reaction and the high pressure they are both supposed to come off.

With only high pressure water and a low alkaline shampoo you took off the dirt but not the oil film.

On the other hand, had you simply pressure washed the car to remove heavy dirt and grit to reduce scratching; then taken a carwash mit with a bucket of clean water with a lo pH shampoo and friction washed the car and then rinsed you would have removed the oil film.

There is a science to everything we do in this detail industry and it is frightening how little we all really know about what we do.

Even with all my years of experience in the industry and all the research that I do, everyday I learn something new.

For example, the Seminar on Detailing Chemicals at the ICA Show revealed so many new ideas and thoughts that I had never considered. That is why these meetings, etc are so valuable to a detailer who seriously wants to grow and learn.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
May 06, 2004 09:12PM
<HTML>Bud, you are simply amazing!!! You explained my situation exactally. I'd rinse off the heavy soil and there would be a film/soil/haze/dirt/oil whatever you may call it left behind on the paint that needed to be manually removed to get a shine. Is there any kind of shampoo that would take all the soil off without having to manually rub??? If so, what is the name of it and where can I get it...

The paint is in great shape. When I wash the vehicle by hand, it shines like it was brand new. When pressure washing it (I noticed it at the local car wash also), that's when I would get the left over soil still on the paint.

How do you guys do it in the business??? Obviously time is money, but do you still need to hand wash after going with the pressure wash???

Joe C</HTML>
May 07, 2004 12:06AM
<HTML>Sorry, I assumed you were washing it as well. I know what you are saying because when my brother washes his car (he's not detail oriented), if hemisses a spot you can see the film exactly where he missed after rinsing.

I don' t know of anyone here who does not hand wash after rinsing with the pw, but I'd be interested in hearing from some who don't wash with a mitt.

Some guys acid washed around here years ago, but I haven't seen that in a while.

R Regan</HTML>

WC Detailing Products
May 07, 2004 01:41AM
<HTML>Not so amazing, just aware of the science of washing and chemicals.

The only way you can chemically remove with high pressure water dirt and oil film is to use a hydroflouric acid first and then a high alkaline product and then pressure wash. It might remove most of the dirt.

But over a period of time the acid will dull the paint.

Plus the HF is deadly. It can kill you if used incorrectly.

So, the bottomline is to use friction when you wash your car.

Bud A</HTML>

buda
May 07, 2004 03:50AM
<HTML>I thought you were manually washing after the PW as well.

I'd feel a bit nervous using HF acid on paint even though you can. Stick with it's use on chrome.

Speaking of acid, I got to play with some hydroflouric acid on my customer's 18ft. Bayliner Capri. I had to do the whole bottom (which was covered in caked on sea scum and dirt) but the acid ate through it in seconds.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
May 08, 2004 07:54AM
<HTML>Sorry about that. I should have mentioned that there was no manual wash involved. Anyhow, what is a good shampoo to get off caked on bugs and tar???

Joe C.</HTML>
May 08, 2004 05:00PM
<HTML>Bud, thats how most power washers clean tractor trailers with the 2- step method. I dont use that method I use a high ph tractor soap then brush come back over it with a nuetral wash, with a wax. You want to talk science try washing 100 tractors with trailers with 3 guys in under 5 hours thats a science.</HTML>

PRECISION POWER WASHING &amp; AUTO DETAILING
May 08, 2004 05:50PM
<HTML>Rob:

Thank you for your posting. When I mentioned the two stage method it was referred to as a "touchless method" as the original poster had discussed. Recall - he used the pressure washer and it left a film.

If you use a high pH alkaline chemical there is not need to neutralize as you have not used acid. You do not neutralize a high pH alkaline chemical with another alkaline shampoo/wax. You only neutralize acidic chemicals with alkaline chemicals.

In any case, you are right, you must have a scientific procedure to get 100 trailers done in 5 hours with 3 people.

That is over 33 tractors per person which is nearly 7 tractors per hour or one tractor every 8 1/2 minutes.

That is "science" you are right. Tell us how you do it. Seems like a hellish work pace to keep up for 5 hours straight.

Thanks for sharing

Bud A</HTML>

buda
May 09, 2004 12:13AM
<HTML> Bud in our bussiness if you clean 4 to 7 tractors an hour you better go to sam's club and buy 100 pounds of hot dogs because thats what you will be eating while you are in bussiness. If you clean 8 - 12 tractors an hour now you are running a bussiness. When you clean fleets there are 3 major factors, speed, dwell time, and organization. Now if you are gonna do tractors lets say for a large company I implement the 10 yard rule. Which is stand 10 yards away from the tractor does it look clean, no missed spots, no desiel stains, etc. Now as for an owner operator operation is more a detail wash. More time more care. More money. Now since we are doing bigger company tractors the objective is speed, now to achive high production rates you can't skimp out on soap. Soap is cheaper then labor, I choose to use my soaps stronger then recommended I only want to clean once not go back and do redos. We use powdered soap. ( 2 1/2 pounds of powder tractor soap is put into a 5 gallon pail which makes a concentrate then we cut that down as far as 10 to 1 recommended dilutions is 15 to 1 all the way up to 50 to 1) Soap costs about $1 a pound and less if you buy over 100 pounds. Hot water power washer with a high psi and gpm is recommended. We use 3500 psi at 5.6 gpm, if the trucks and relativly clean we will put a larger nozzle on it so it will pump out 3000 psi at 6 gpm. Now tractors are approx 8 to 10 feet away from each other so soaking down 2 1/2 tractor or 1 full tractor takes less then 1 min. Tracy who is responsible for presoaking the trators walks from back to front soaking down the 1st tractor turns 180 degrees and walks front to back to soak down the 2nd tractor. Followed by, approx 1 min behind him is another washing step the chemical is not as harsh ph is around 9 the second wash step is to reactivate any chemical that has dried up,and to increase the dwell time to approx 1 to 2 mins then our waxer and rinser come thru to wash everything off, we put wax in our rinse water to save a step and a person.

organization + good equipment + good chemicals = a winnining combo

ps. Budd all of our dirty water goes down into a sand trap which is filtered off into a santitary sewer. So no recycleing is needed. Which complies with our law of "no off property discharging" .</HTML>

PRECISION POWER WASHING &amp; AUTO DETAILING
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login