Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Need help with site

Posted by Brian Angelucci 
Need help with site
May 09, 2004 01:41AM
<HTML>I'm just tried out my father's new computer and realize my website looks a lot different then when viewing it on my computer.

Here's what I see:

My buttons in the navy blue strip (automotive services, gallery, etc) take up two lines so it's not one long line. My buttons on the bottom (home, FAQ, etc) clump together like the top line. My services pages are all mangled and not in order.

Do you all see the same thing or is it neat looking? I have Win98SE and my father has XP. His is set at 800x600 and mine is the next highest.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Re: Need help with site
May 09, 2004 02:34AM
<HTML>Looks fine to me. I am running win XP as well at 1024 x 768. Using IE. You (the page creater) should look at it ni different screen res and using IE and Netscape. Also, change Color bit (256k color, 16 and 32 bit) and make sure its still what you want.</HTML>
May 09, 2004 02:37AM
<HTML>Thanks. But this means that people who see it in 800x600 will seean unarranged site right?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

May 09, 2004 09:30AM
<HTML>Yup, I just changed my screen res to 800x600 and seen the difference myself. what are you using to do your site? Html? a WYSIWYG? (What You See Is What You Get) of some other type of prog?</HTML>
May 09, 2004 02:26PM
<HTML>Brian, does your web host provide web stats ?

If they do, take a look and it will tell you the different screen res that each visitor is using, then set your web page to the most used . For example, if most of your visitors use 800 x 600, then use that. 800 x 600 is one of the most common used , with about %44 of net users using that res. 1024 X 768 is a close second as this is what XP is set at by default.

The only other option is to use 2 sets of web pages , and give users the option of choosing which screen res to use on your entrance page.

Jim.</HTML>
May 09, 2004 03:39PM
<HTML>Thanks fellas. The program I use to create my website is Microsoft Frontpage 2000. My hosting company (myhosting.com) give me the WebTrends report monthly but not sure how to really read that. All I see is their IP addresses.

I think I'll use your suggestion Jim, since redoing my whole site twice will take all day. I'll give the user an option on what to use on my homepage. Thing is though, my banner is long and creates a side scroll on 800x600 res.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

May 09, 2004 05:25PM
<HTML>in frontpage where you have your banner/graphics/navigation, put them in a table and specify the width of the table.

First set your screen to how big you want the page to look good at and then ajust the table size so eveything fits. Now no matter what the screen resolution the page will not bunch up it will make a scroll right/left/up/down to see what isnt already on the screen.

Just like when you view this site you have to scroll down the page or left and right to read the messages.

If you need more help let me know, I am not sure if I explained ot clear enough. Its very simple to make it not buch up.</HTML>
May 10, 2004 06:36AM
<HTML>Brian,

It's Frontpage, I think. I had a site briefly with FP that looked fine on MY computer, then I went to work and found that graphics were not lined up at all. I had a friend redo it in Dreamweaver and it was fine from then on. Did you get that same empty feeling in your stomach when you saw that things weren't right? I had a panic attack!

R Regan

Get me the Stoner line! I tried to order online and was booted more than once to some weird site when I clicked on "order".</HTML>

&quot;Put your car in the Winner's Circle&quot;
WC Detailing Products
Cyclo, MF Towels, Clay, and more!
visit: www.winnerscircledetailingproducts.com
May 10, 2004 07:20AM
<HTML>Robert,

Order from the 800 number first and ask for the sample kit from them. they will send you the 50.00 kit for free. (Can't do that online) Stoners Glass cleaner is top notch in my books.

Dreamweaver is a good prog to do site in as well. Flash is one of the top prog to great a web page with but takes some work. If you can master it, you can do just about anything. (web page wise)</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login