Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Suede Headliner

Posted by Brian Angelucci 
Suede Headliner
May 14, 2004 02:04AM
<HTML>Today I did a 2003 Mercedes CL600 with a suede headliner. When I opened the door I was in a car nut's paradise and a detailer's nightmare. Luckily, it just needed a light cleaning.

Anyone ever see this before? This puppy sold for $120,000.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Re: Suede Headliner
May 14, 2004 05:17AM
<HTML>I've not seen this yet, but I'm sure I will soon. I've got over 40 jopbs in my pipeline waiting for our shop to open right around 6/1.

Fortunatley, it's rare to find a car in this price range in filthy condition. Of course, if the owner's a smoker, that's another story.

So what did you do? I guess I'd just vacuum it with a brush and see what I could get out. Maybe try a little mist of very diluted, non-foaming carpet shampoo (after testing, ofcourse) & mist lightly blotting & wiping lightly with a clean towel before it sets into the suede.</HTML>

Shine On!

Rod Wesley
Touch Up 'N' Go!
Auto &amp; Marine Appearance Center
We take your car from Rough to Buff!
Visit our website at: www.touchupngo.com
May 14, 2004 06:03PM
<HTML>Disregard my last comment. You shouldn't use a water based product on a suede or Nubuck leather. My bad! I would think a leather cleaner specifically designed for suede type leather would do the trick. But I will defer to the experts with much more experience in this arena.</HTML>

Shine On!

Rod Wesley
Touch Up 'N' Go!
Auto &amp; Marine Appearance Center
We take your car from Rough to Buff!
Visit our website at: www.touchupngo.com
May 14, 2004 08:46PM
<HTML>More than likely the headliner was not suede but Alcantara a registered trade mark of a new generation ultra-microfibre textile manufactured in Italy.

This new form of textile has many applications and is used in furniture, aviation, marine, aircraft, clothing and the automobile industries. It is used to upholster seats, dashboard, molded surfaces, trim, panels, consoles, and headliners in many European vehicles including Mercedes Benz.

This textile was created in the 1970’s in Japan in response to a scarcity of leather. Due to its structural qualities and suede like feel this new fabric was an ideal alternative to leather.

The manufacturer recommends daily cleaning with soft brush, and dry cloth or vacuum cleaner.
Weekly cleaning damp white cotton cloth (no paper or absorbent cloths)
Yearly cleaning machine washable (no spin drying) or use a damp soft cloth or sponge in clean water over the entire Alcantara fabric making sure not to wet excessively (air dry)
THE USE OF STEAM MACHINES IS NOT RECOMMENDED AND NO Trichloroethylene (dry cleaning fluid) so spot clean carefully.</HTML>
May 15, 2004 01:02AM
<HTML>Dammmm CG that is amazing your up on such a fabric...you must surf the web worst than me...my wife comments!Thanks</HTML>
May 15, 2004 02:42AM
<HTML>CG, you got it right!

It is a micro fiber based material.

And any one who has taken some time to understand this type of fabric knows that one does not treat it like wool, cotton, silk, rayon, nylon, etc.

What most don't realize is that micro fiber technology has been around since the late 70's.

Ask any old fart like me if we didn't flip out over " ultra suede" shirts, etc back then.

I must have had a dozen "ultra suede" shirts back then, now I have dozens of micro fiber shirts, pants, sport jackets.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
May 15, 2004 02:50AM
<HTML>concoursgarage,

You really know your trade. I'm impressed.

I just viewed the MB CL600 brochure and there it is "covered in suede-like Alcantara"

My method of cleaning the Alcantara was I used Stoner's foaming trim cleaner (great for removing grease, dirt, etc.) absorbed into a microfiber towel (nop foam on headliner.) I used the cleaner only on the finger print marks -- the rest of the headlliner was with a damp cloth and a bit of cleaner already wrung into the towel.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
May 15, 2004 03:00AM
<HTML>Brian,
Last month I had a 2000 mazda millinia(most have leather seats) But this car had the optional "millenium" package wich included seude(or looked just like it) seating surfaces. Luckily the seats were in new condition, but I did test some cleaners on very inconspicuous areas, and with no problems at all. Pt cruisers with leather seating have suede like inserts as well as Land Rovers and a few others. My wife had her freelander serviced and for a loaner they gave us a new discovery with this material in the door panels. So I figured time for a little testing. I tried every interior cleaner, including extractor soap, shampoo, foaming cleaners, nothing stained the surface. (I should have charged them for cleaning)</HTML>

Road Warrior Mobile Auto Appearance
Milford CT.
203 376 8963
www.roadwarriordetail.com
May 15, 2004 12:07PM
<HTML>I do surf the web a lot but also have experience with textile manufacturing.

As a service provider it is incumbent that I keep abreast of all types of technology related to automobiles and cleaning. Knowledge creates consumer confidence, gives me an edge over the competition, allows me to bill at higher rate and more importantly provide better service to the consumer.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login