Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

mildew smell in carpet/upholstery

Posted by Samuel B Robinson 
mildew smell in carpet/upholstery
May 24, 2004 01:56PM
<HTML>Guys,

I have a client who went to another detailer in town. They performed a fabric protection on the carpet/upholstery. Unfortunately the carpet/upholstery was too saturated. As a result, a mildew smell is in the carpet.

What products/techniques/tools could I use to get rid of the smell. I really want to do a good job so that her confidence in the detailing industry will not be shaken. She didn't have a good taste in her mouth about the last detail b/c they didn't correct the problem when she took it back to them....Thanks in Advance,

Fellow Detailer...</HTML>
Re: mildew smell in carpet/upholstery
May 25, 2004 06:37AM
<HTML>Samuel:

The other detailer no doubt wetted the carpet down far too much, as most tend to do. A little works good, a lot works better is their motto.

What I would tell the customer that you need to do is take the seats out; take out the carpet shell and check for moisture in the padding.

Let the carpet air dry as well as the padding, if it is not damaged.

You might want to get some biological odor eliminator that will kill mold spores while the carpet and pad are out of the car and spray it on them so that you can kill the mold. You can get something like this at a janitorial supply company or a company that supplies carpet cleaners with chemicals, etc.

When you put back in the car, absolutely dry you might still need an ozone generator to get rid of any mold residue.

That seems to be the surest and best way to eliminate the problem. I would not waste time trying to get rid of the odor without taking out the seats.

REgards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
May 25, 2004 02:24PM
<HTML>The fastest way to get in trouble is in trying to remedy this problem by making assumptions…. without any proper diagnostic evaluation.

There might be more going on here… and you need to begin with a thorough diagnostic evaluation…ask questions?

Are you sure this is mildew and not a chemical smell from the fabric protectant?
If you have determined it is mildew
Is it is possible the mildew has nothing to do with the previous detailer…but an underlying problem?.

What is the year/make and model and why did the client have fabric protectant applied?
Did the client have the vehicle detailed and did she do so because she had an odor or spill?
If so?....what was the odor or spill?
How long was the odor or spill in the vehicle
Did she leave her sunroof or windows open and water intruded into the vehicle?
You can determine if moisture is in the vehicle by looking in the rear compartment, under tires etc
testing with a hydrosensor
Lift up all 4 door transoms, and feel under carpet if there is excessive moisture, I doubt this has to do with liberal application of fabric protectant but another problem

As Bud stated the only way to remove the mildew is remove the seating….but you must be sure to disconnect battery and wait for some time to discharge as you can set off airbags if there is one in this vehicle. If a newer model, you will have to reset the (check engine or check air bag light,) and it can cost anywhere from $140.00 at the dealer if you do not have reset tools. (have a wiaver signed)

The bottom line if this mildew problem is not as a result of the application of fabric protectant and you have no experience in remedying this problem you may want to decline. Mold and mildew remediation is more than cleaning and shampooing, spraying mildewcides, and the use of ozone…you have to find the source of the problem, correct, remediate mildew…It can be quite an ardous task at times..</HTML>
May 25, 2004 04:55PM
<HTML>thank you sooooo much for both of your replies. It is benefiting me a great deal being able to ask questions of experienced detailers. At the moment I do not have the ozone machine nor the expertise to assist this customer. Thanks again.........</HTML>
<HTML>WE pop off door sill plates and put foam pieces that were cut for the purpose of holding carpet up and put a air mover in vehicle for 2 hours in the sun and may even run car with heat on 15 to 20 minutes at a time....then near the end of the day we inject a enzyme from a water restoration and carpet cleaning company with horse needles in all areas of carpet,,,next morning same process for 3 hours ,then Ozone for 30 to 40 minutes(EcoQuest Int.. ozone machine) ..$$$.Never take out seats for reasons said.This cures most mildew damage .that happens on day to day bases..but as Con and Bud said this could be over your head useing either of the suggestions!Sunroof or extreme water saturation I agree carpet must come out$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$</HTML>
May 26, 2004 03:33AM
<HTML>We also do water intrusion on a daily basis..and as a matter of course will only use air blower with seats out and carpets in place…. if under padding is fibrous jute material…and water intrusion is within 48 hours from an open sunroof, window, or leaking seal.

In many newer vehicles a more dense sponge padding is being affixed to the carpets and a blower is simply not adequate enough …as these sponges retain so much moisture and it speeds up the remediation time to pull everything out.

Water from black water flooding, storm sewer run off…and all fittings are removed as you are dealing with environmental polluton, fecal and decaying matter, hepatitis etc and an unhealthy environment for the vehicles occupants, padding must be replaced and if unable to safely clean carpet it too should be replaced.

Mold and mildew has become a highly litigious issue especially Stachybotrys (black mold) and I simply do not want to be part of any lawsuit in which I have not exercised proper clean up protocols such as completely replacing jute backing making sure water has not wicked behind firewall and there is no remaining moisture in vehicle… In fact we run a complete water simulation test before reassembly to rule out any preexisting problems and guarantee our work… We have found that about 85% of these vehicles have other sources of water leaks

There are companies who have been sued for mold issues and have had judgements awarded against them for not having a documented clean up protocol, and because they did not use the proper dilution ratio for registered epa disinfectants and mildewcides.

Not to say your way is incorrect... I prefer a more cautious aggressive approach</HTML>
<HTML>Understood..if there to that point I just dont get involved.... 9 out of 10 of the ones for mildew I book are from people cleaning and not enough drying time before mats where put in or not enough ventalation...Im a detail shop not a fire&water restoration service as I tell the poor sole who left there sunroof open all night!</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login