Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

city ordinance mobile washes

Posted by A.T. 
city ordinance mobile washes
May 27, 2004 12:50AM
<HTML>Hi guys,

Like others I am also new to this fourm and would like to thank all of you for the valuable info you share with us.

I have been in business for only two months and I have invested a bit of money in a mobile detail unit.

Today in the business section of news paper was an article on a oil & lube company that purchased a mobile oil-change trailer and is being prevented from preforming its services due to city ordinances. Mobile carwashes were also mentioned in the article.

Complaints from a competitor promted city zone enforcers to cite the mobile lube. This same person also stated that mobile car washes and other similar business harm the citys property tax base by taking customers away from buisnesses operating from buildings.

I am a little worried that the fixed car wash locations will try to do the same thing. I have not been able to find any city ordinance on mobile car washes
but I have heard that city council is wanting to ban mobile units.

I have too much to lose so if anybody can share some advice I would greatly appreciate it.</HTML>

A.T.
Re: city ordinance mobile washes
May 27, 2004 01:22AM
<HTML>Where are you located? As long as you are following EPA guidelines and properly collecting and disposing of your waste water I would think there isn't a whole lot they can do to stop you. If you aren't doing this - you may be in big trouble.</HTML>

May 27, 2004 01:36AM
<HTML>I am located in El Paso Tx.

I have a waste water recovery system that collects and filters the water. The water is clean enough that I can uses it to wash and use my fresh water to rinse. I will try to post a picture of my unit later this week so that you guys can take a look.</HTML>

A.T.
May 27, 2004 03:15AM
<HTML>Sounds like the city council is more concerned with LOSS of property taxes and complaints from fixed-location competing business owners.Sounds like your mobile system is in compliance with federal epa laws,but looks like your town may TRY ban ALL types of mobile units anyway,because of complaints from the competition(fixed-location operators) whether it's fair to all or not.I would be leary of have investing in a mobile unit if the council is considering banning it anytime soon,unless you can just operate in a different town close by whithout the hassle or worry....sounds like your not welcome or represented by your city council.

Sometimes it's not WHAT you know....it's WHO you know !

Especially in small towns...it's the good ole boy network,if your not one of them....OR represented by them....forget it !</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
ColesCountyAutoDetailing.com
May 27, 2004 06:16AM
<HTML>I met with a local mobile unit last week. He told me when he applied for his license the person at the desk said, "No problem, we just don't want to see you washing cars in parking lots."

I was assuming that the city is not familiar with booms, or mats. I'm going down there for my license next week and will let you know how it goes. Can a city ban mobile washers who comply with the Feds?

R Regan</HTML>
May 27, 2004 01:20PM
<HTML>They can easily just not issue a license for you to do business in the city. That in its-self would put you in violation, not fair but they could do it if they want. There is one city by me that practices this option.</HTML>
May 27, 2004 08:55PM
<HTML>After more research I found a ordinance on mobile services that I may have not seen when starting my business.

It basically says that you can apply for a permit to conduct services only on approved parking surfaces, in zoning districts where a fixed base business equivalent is permitted.

The part that kind of hurts my business states that no part of the mobile service unit shall be located nearer than seventy-five feet from a residentially zoned district..... There goes my Country Club clients.</HTML>

A.T.
May 28, 2004 06:01AM
<HTML>I'd research the laws and call some more gov't people. They can't say no just because you'll be competing with a fixed location. This is what free enterprise is all about. As long as you comply with the EPA restrictions and regulations and are a legalyt licensed business entity then you can work where you want -- I would think.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
August 17, 2005 05:32AM
<HTML>I had to "school" my city about run off and water reclaim.

The knew it couldn't go down the storm drains but that was about all.

I put together some information about the federal clean water act and went by and demo'ed my reclaim system.

They have since referred a number of new mobile detailers and pressure wash guys to me as a source of proper water reclaim information.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
August 17, 2005 05:32AM
<HTML>I had to "school" my city about run off and water reclaim.

The knew it couldn't go down the storm drains but that was about all.

I put together some information about the federal clean water act and went by and demo'ed my reclaim system.

They have since referred a number of new mobile detailers and pressure wash guys to me as a source of proper water reclaim information.</HTML>

August 18, 2005 01:58AM
<HTML>hey, Joe. Could u explain u water system? Reggie</HTML>
Dan
August 20, 2005 03:25AM
<HTML>I had a little incident with a city inspector. He was really nice about it, but it still creeped me out enough to start following the rules. We were prepping a car in a driveway (in a secluded part of Palos Verdes!) and our water had not touched the gutter, people up the street were watering, but it appeared as if it was our water. The inspector followed the water flowing down the street until he got to where we were at. He told me about all of the fines that could be given if water hits the storm drain. He also said, which is very relieving, "water left to dry in the sun is fine as long as it doesnt enter the storm drain".

Dan Draper
DRAPERSAUTOIMAGERY.com</HTML>
August 20, 2005 04:31AM
<HTML>i USE THE VACUBOOM SYSTEM-

WWW.VACUBOOM.COM</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login