Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Two things actually...

Posted by Anne Springer 
Two things actually...
May 27, 2004 03:21AM
<HTML>Well, I lost my job Monday for some really crappy reasons that I don't want to post on this forum... I also decided its best that detailing be a hobby, I'm heading back to the office environment for awhile to make some good money. I do have a shot at making some good cash offering "upper end" services to dealerships around the city, but... hehe You should have seen the mess of a car my friend bought from one dealership! So embarrassing...

Anyways, my other thing is how should I clean suede in a '94 Subaru SVX? I don't believe there's any dirt, but it should be cleaned anyways...

Thanks guys for all your support!
Anne</HTML>
Re: Two things actually...
May 27, 2004 04:23AM
<HTML>aw....come on, tell us what did you do to get fired ? sounds interesting....

my advice is to stay away from the dealers....if possible,unless you like to clean trashed-out vehicles from the auctions/trades.Just stick with doing your freinds & family cars part-time at your home, just as a hobby & get a regular job to pay the bills.

Good luck with your new job !</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
ColesCountyAutoDetailing.com
May 27, 2004 11:36PM
<HTML>I wish it was something I did, and it was cool! I miss being a hellraiser... Anyways, this is basically what went down. I went in and asked if there were any first shift openings because the second shift wasn't working well for me. My boss said no and mentioned a former employee was hoping to come back and work. A few hours later, I was pulled into a meeting and they (my boss and his boss) decided the job was too much for me and would rather terminate me than waste their time training me. Cute, huh? I am red-hopping mad since I don't have any job prospects and in dire need of one! I saw another dealership hiring but NO WAY. I don't care what they pay, I will never be treated that badly again!

The good side is I gained some great knowledge and am ready to go out there and fix my car up! Or at least once I buy a rotary buffer I can! And I plan on fixing up a friend's truck to get it ready to sell, and once it quits raining I will have his new car to do also. Those are the fun jobs!

Anne</HTML>
May 28, 2004 05:10AM
<HTML>Ann, dont give up, not all dealerships are the same.

I've worked for two and both have been very good. Find the right one and you have a great chance to learn some good stuff, dealerships can be a great learning experience. You have access to Dealer information that other people wont get, I know Ford have an internal web site for their dealer detailers, plus a training video. Not much I know but still more than some places.

Jim.</HTML>
May 28, 2004 05:31AM
<HTML>Anne,

Two words: They're loss.

Find out the REAL reason why they terminated you. If it wasn't due to negligence or anything you've done then you are entitled to keep your job. Firing you to let someone else come back isn't a good enough reason.

Jim is right, not all dealers are bad -- most used car dealers are. Toyota is usually more flexible so that's surprising they'd do that. Look into it deeper.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
May 29, 2004 05:29AM
<HTML>Jim's absolutely right. If you were not hired as an "at will" employee (that means they can terminate you at any time, for any reason that doesn't violate your civil rights) then they owe you a valid explanation. If you were let go simply to make room for a guy that decided he wanted to come back, then you may have grounds for a discrimination lawsuit. On the other hand, if you were still on probation, they really don't need a reason, they can pretty much let you go for any reason.

But, I would still demand to know why they let you go. And don't be afraid to tell them that your attorney would like to know so he can assess this situation to see if action is warranted.

After you have your answer, go and talk to an attorney and see what they say.</HTML>

Shine On!

Rod Wesley
Touch Up 'N' Go!
Auto &amp; Marine Appearance Center
We take your car from Rough to Buff!
Visit our website at: www.touchupngo.com
<HTML>Anne: 1st before you do anything talk, with a Very Good Attorney. Discrimination is alive and well in this Great Country of ours... Brandy!</HTML>
June 01, 2004 04:29AM
<HTML>Thanks guys...

Yeah, I should really take some action against them, but this is going to be
so hard to prove and what good does it do me?? I just need a job ASAP! I think they were angry I had to leave on Saturday early since I had a migraine, but that IS a good reason, especially since it tends to be loud in the bays. I know the detail manager and his manager were kind of forced to give me a chance, and they decided to give me a few weeks, find a weak excuse and can me. I was on probation for 30 days, which ironically I had about 1-2 weeks left and they had agreed to review me and find another way to pay me.

I have been thinking about offering a few of the dealerships my services, at least for the summer since I want to return to school in the fall. My friend had acquired a used car from a fairly nice dealership that was "detailed", meaning these guys maybe washed the exterior, slapped on some wax and didn't bother wiping off residue, and ran the vacuum through the interior. In other words, pretty gross!! I spent 2 hours today trying to get stains out of the carpet, and when it quits raining I will give it a good wax job as well. Anyways, my idea is to set a price, then tell them to give me their used cars they want to have an "upper ended" job on. Catch is, I have to make sure I make at least $100 a day to survive (I used to make $70 so this is a step-up for me!) I think its an interesting idea, but... I don't mind cleaning dirty cars, I really like to see what I can do and I like to impress people as well!

Anne</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login