Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

R. V. black streaks

Posted by Phil Goode 
R. V. black streaks
May 29, 2004 06:40PM
<HTML>I have tried everything I know to get some black streaks off of an RV. Nothing works. A friend told me to use a chemical cleaner called "white stuff". He said it is ether based. I can't find this stuff anywhere and am in a jam. I know I can buff this stuff out but that is beyond the budget.
Anyone have a secret formula for those black streaks?</HTML>
Re: R. V. black streaks
May 29, 2004 08:37PM
<HTML>Phil,

Is the RV aluminum type paneling or gelcoat, where the streaks are?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
May 30, 2004 12:47AM
<HTML>Phil:

Need to know what the black streaks are from? Are they just dirt? If so, a good alkaline cleaner should take care of that. What have you used so far?

Bud A</HTML>

buda
May 30, 2004 01:39PM
<HTML>The RV is aluminum and the streaks come from the black rubber (?) molding around the windows. These streaks are similar to the ones a trailer will get closer to the roof. My wash trailer has them as well. The roofs have a silicone type sealant and when it rains the water washes the silicone off or out and the resulting streaks on rv's and trailers will stainj if not removed soon.
However, even gel coated rv's get these streaks and they are a real bitch to get off if allowed to sit for months or even years. That is the case with this rv. i have an opportunity to get a dealer account if i can clean this one. So far, nothing has worked.
I have tried alkaline, petroleum based cleaner with naptha and even a cleaner wax....nothing has worked.
A presser wahser friend suggested the ether based cleaner I wrote about. Seems to be similar to oven cleaner only not as strong. He said it works wonders but I cannot find the product. It is called "white stuff". I have found the purple stuff and red stuff but not the white stuff.

HELP!</HTML>
May 30, 2004 02:55PM
<HTML>Phil:

While I hesitate to suggest for you to use Hydroflouric Acid, that is what is used to clean the aluminum over-the-road trailers. A HF and alkaline two step process.

In fact, some chemical companies, to get away from using the terms "acid cleaner" call their HF product, "Aluminum Brightener."

Using all the personal safety precautions, you can probably get these stains out of aluminum with a HF cleaner.

Check with a local supplier and ask their specific instructions for use from a personal safety point of view.

We care less about the safety to the aluminum as we do to your own personal safety using this "deadly" chemical.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
May 30, 2004 04:18PM
<HTML>I can be safe to be sure. What I am afraid of is ruining the RV. My supplier carries a truck wash two step product. I will check with him.</HTML>
May 30, 2004 04:21PM
<HTML>Phil,

Go to your local boat supply shop and pick up a bottle of Star Brite's Black Streak Remover. That should do the trick but if not then the acid should be your next step. MaryKate (marine product) makes Aluminex which is an aluminum brightener for pontoon logs. However, this contains hydrochloric acid and not hydrofluoric acid. Black streaks on a boat are created from window frames and canvas snaps.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
June 04, 2004 08:53PM
<HTML>found the ether stuff I wrote about earlier. friggin miracle product. it is called white stuff. it really works well for removing the streaks.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login