Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

WHAT KIND OF SERVICES SHOULD A DETAILER EXPECT FM A SUPPLIER??

Posted by Bud Abraham 
WHAT KIND OF SERVICES SHOULD A DETAILER EXPECT FM A SUPPLIER??
May 30, 2004 12:51AM
<HTML>With so many professional detailers on this forum I want to pose the question relating to your expectations from a supplier, or should I say, a Chemical Supplier since they are the main suppliers to most detailers on a regular basis.

That is, what do you feel they should offer you if you give them your business in terms of assistance and help???

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Re: WHAT KIND OF SERVICES SHOULD A DETAILER EXPECT FM A SUPPLIER??
May 30, 2004 01:45AM
<HTML>1-Free Shipping

2- After sale support

3- Quantity discounts

4- Truth in advertising the product

5- Quality product

6- Consistant quality from lot to lot

7- Friendly service

8- Fast shipping, turn around time

9- Direct answers to direct questions

10- Honest, Truthfull, Dependable, Reliable</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
May 30, 2004 02:16AM
<HTML>Wayne:

What do you mean by after sale support?

Bud A</HTML>

buda
May 30, 2004 03:23AM
<HTML>Bud..

1/ Honesty. You know the problem I had with Malco and the non acid wheel cleaner, wish they could have just came out and told me straight that it was great for cleaning wheels but damages tires.

2/ One of our local reps now does inventory management. You agree stcok levels etc, when he does his monthly visit, he checks your stocks and replaces only what you need. Saves a lot of time having to go through a list yourself.

3/ Product training. Demo each new product, prove that it can do what they say it can do.

About all I can think of right now.

Jim.</HTML>
May 30, 2004 03:52AM
<HTML>"What do you mean by after sale support?"

You know how some company's are..., after they get your money..., you are either "on your own" or like one I will not mention, you get a different answer everytime you call..., wrong answers are worse than no answers, IMO...</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
May 30, 2004 04:30PM
<HTML>Good question.

I agree with what Wayne and Jim said. My main factors are:

-Free shipping
-Excellent customer support
-Training or at least directing you for proper dilutions
-Follow up call to ask how the product worked (Only had Stoner do this for me)</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
IS THAT ALL YOU EXPECT???
May 30, 2004 04:47PM
<HTML>Is that all of you expect of your suppliers?

You know the industry has changed dramaticallly since most of these companies came into existence.

What I mean is that way back when, Auto Detailing was done by and for the auto dealers to recondition used cars for resale.

All the chemical company had to do was sell products to the dealer and/or a wholesale shop that already knew their customers.

But things have changed. Look at all of you detailers on this forum. Few do wholesale work. Most of you cater to the retail market. Most of you try to operate legitimate auto service businesses.

Many of you have never had any formal business experience; financial experience; marketing or sales experience.

I would venture to say that most of you could and would use this type of information if it were available to you.

Who then is responsible for helping you? SCORE? The SBA? Sure but their help is kind of boiler-plate, help that any business needs. It does not help you specifically with detailing.

Take a look at the trade magazines in the carwash industry; auto trim and restyle industry; collision repair industry; carpet and upholstery industry; janitorial industry; house painting industry to name a few.

You will not that all of the suppliers are offering their users and even not users assistance in building their businesses, not just selling product and helping you to use it.

You detailers are letting your chemical suppliers off very easy, in my opinion. Someone needs to take the lead in helping detailers to become better business people; to help them with growing their business.

Yet the main beneficiary of your business, the chemical companies are doing what they have always done, sellling chemicals.

As one friend of mine, the owner of a detail chemical company told me when I asked him about this.

"Don't your customers ever ask for business type help?"

"Yes, they do, and we have tried to sponsor some seminars of this type."

"How did it go?"

"Well, to tell you the truth, Bud, it is just easier and more profitable for us to sell chemicals."

That attitude seems to constant with all suppliers. In the 25 years I have been directly involved in the detailing industry I see chemical companies doing nothing more than what they have done sense they were founded, selling chemicals.

If they can get away with that, there is nothing wrong with it, in one sense. However, it is my conviction that they owe the industry much more than selling chemicals. They need to offer the industry and you detailers what is needed for the industry today, not 50 years ago when it was a wholesale business only.

I think you all need to demand more service from a chemical company so they use some of the resources they have enjoyed from you all to give back.

Of course, it is their responsibility to give you assistance with their products, but they owe you much more.

Just my take on this and would be interested in hearing what you all have to say.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Re: IS THAT ALL YOU EXPECT???
May 30, 2004 07:09PM
<HTML>Let us know what "you" would expect as a detailer and...,

As a "chemical company", what you do to give back to the detailing community...
(Please do not include anything that is charged for, such as seminars, etc..., that is not "giving back, that would be considered "charging"smiling smiley

Thanks for the post..., maybe we can all get some ideas...</HTML>

www.waynestowels.com
<HTML>Bud, as a Suppler of Products and equiptment, what do you think that the Detailers should be expecting?
1st and formost I like the free shipping,as that would enable us to buy more products, and equipment that we need. I wouldn't like to see the shipping costs hidden by raising the price of the products and equipment. I know that the "Big Brown Truck" doesn't run from Oregon to Ashland,Ky for free. I just guess thats why so many detailers buy local if at all possible,knowing they can purchase a better product else where, but buying a gallon of this or that, and then having the shipping costs high enough, that when its all said an done, you can get an extra gallon of something else you need is a hard pill for all, to swallow. I like your products and direction so I'll just move to Portland........ Brandy !</HTML>
Re:Question with a question!
June 02, 2004 08:38PM
<HTML>Brandy:

You take my question incorrectly. Look at my posting of the 3th May. It is my contention that Chemical Companies should be giving the detailing industry a lot more than "chemicals" and advise on how to use them.

Chemical companies have long been the "major drivers" in the detailing industry and yet they are not doing anything to adjust to the new face of the detailing industry. They are continuing to "just sell chemicals, as my friend in the business stated.

And, detailers let them get away with it by continuing to purchase chemicals and not demanding anymore help from them.

It is my contention and belief that a company has to earn your business by doing for the customer what they need, sometimes even before they know they need it.

What many of the detailers on this forum and all over the country is not more technical data but data on how to run their business and market it and advertise, etc. Why are the leaders of the industry not doing this for the detailer?

Why are the detailers not DEMANDING that from their suppliers?

That is my question.

bud abraham</HTML>

buda
<HTML>Bud, excuse the ignorance,as I should have read more in depth than what I did. I guess I focused more on what Brian and Wayne had invisioned, that could have been tongue in cheek so to speak. I do understand what you mean,and see the reality and validity of your question. I can see why you want the Detailers to be the Captains of their ship, and focus on the business, or the running of the business,and manage the Technical aspect. I can also realize that, at the end of the day,of doing all of the detailing or the Technical end of the work, how all of the other stuff can fall through the cracks. I think that was covered in the "E" wasn't it?????..... Brandy !</HTML>
June 02, 2004 09:18PM
<HTML>Brandy:

All detailers need to Captain their ships in terms of both the technical and business side of the operation. You can be a one man operation but you still must take care of the business side of the business, so to speak.

Make sense?

Bud A</HTML>

buda
June 02, 2004 10:25PM
<HTML>Not to draw business away from our suppliers on this forum but I know of a company who has outstanding products and ships to the professional for free. Whether you order a gallon or five 55 gallon drums -- shipping is still free. And delivered by Fed-Ex within 2 days!

Email me for this company if interested but if you read PC&D magazine, you should know who they are.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

June 02, 2004 11:11PM
<HTML>Bud-I understand what you're saying. But as a small business man, with a budget for my business and certain amounts alotted for supplies, training, biz development, etc. Threfore if I want to grow my business and develop a marketing program, I'm going to do some research and hire a marketing expert who I feel will best fulfill the needs of my company. Why would I ask a chemical company to teach me how to market my business? It's much to important to leave up to some guy that basically sells chemicals 7 days a week.

In my opinion, what you're suggesting would be the same as asking someone from Molly Maids to detail my cars. Just because they clean houses for a living doesn't mean they know the first thing about how to take care of my car. Since this is the age of specialization and time is of the essence, I think one should seek and hire 1) the best expert they can afford, 2) make sure that expert understands your business, 3) can help you develop a realistic marketing program that fits within your budget, and finally, 4) Has the experience, credentials and references to prove that he's the best expert for you!

These are the same qualifications that I demand and receive from my chemical supplier(s). Just like I would never ask a supplier for any serious marketing advice, I would never ask my marketing manager for any advice on chemicals. He wouldn't be qualified to give me a knowldedgeable answer. I don't just want an expert who knows a lot of facts about various things, I want someone who has real knowledge in a given subject and has spent a good part of his/her life studying that subject.

I don't expect my supplier(s) to be all things to me. That would be impossible. But I do expect them to have a deep and thorough understanding of their products and how they will benefit my business.</HTML>

Shine On!

Rod Wesley
Touch Up 'N' Go!
Auto &amp; Marine Appearance Center
We take your car from Rough to Buff!
Visit our website at: www.touchupngo.com
June 03, 2004 12:10AM
<HTML>Rod..I'm nominating you for a Nobel prize...

Jim.</HTML>
June 03, 2004 12:24AM
<HTML>I agree with Rod. As long as they know what they're selling, how to use it and make sure everything is fine with a follow up call, what more do we need from them? Besides having them join the Professional Detailing Technician's Association!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

June 03, 2004 01:14AM
<HTML>You are certainly entitled to your opinion and it is totally valid, from your point of view.

However, you are assuming that detail chemical companies do not have the resources to help detailers with their business. Not just from a marketing point of view but from a total startup point of view.

What does a chemical company do when a total novice comes to them and says I want to be in the detail business? Sell him chemicals? No, they have to, or should be able to help him, with everything he needs to start up a detailing business. Why not? He cannot buy the chemicals if he does not know how to get started.

Even those in the business are in need of help. How do I know? Because I get hundreds of calls and emails monthly from detailers wanting help and information in how they can improve their business; do things better; how to hire and train good employees, etc.

I ask them, "Who do you buy your chemicals and supplies from?"

They answer, "Oh, ABC Chemical Co."

My reply, "Why don't you ask them for this help?"

His reply, "I have but they do not provide it, that is why I called you."

My reply, "Well, we also sell chemicals and supplies!!!"

His reply. "Oh, well I really like ABC's products."

End of story! See my point. There is a need for information in this industry and if you study all the other industries in automotive field the suppliers be they equipment; chemical or supply companies, ALL offer some types of business help for their customers and potential customers.

DETAIL PLUS is a supplier to the detail industry, with equipment; chemicals and operational supplies. But, more importantly we offer all types of business start up and operational help.

Are you afraid to ask my advise on something related to the detail business? Do you think your marketing expert would know more about marketing this business than I would?

And, we give this information FREE to our customers.

My point is, that the precedent is set in other auto service businesses, not to mention the janitorial and carpet cleaning industries that industry suppliers help their customers with information not just product.

If you believe that your chemical supplier is not obligated to provide you more than chemicals that is great for your supplier, you are letting him off the hook very easy.

So,if you need help give me a call, I sell detail business consulting.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
June 03, 2004 01:34AM
<HTML>You are certainly entitled to your opinion and it is totally valid, from your point of view.

However, you are assuming that detail chemical companies do not have the resources to help detailers with their business. Not just from a marketing point of view but from a total startup point of view.

What does a chemical company do when a total novice comes to them and says I want to be in the detail business? Sell him chemicals? No, they have to, or should be able to help him, with everything he needs to start up a detailing business. Why not? He cannot buy the chemicals if he does not know how to get started.

Even those in the business are in need of help. How do I know? Because I get hundreds of calls and emails monthly from detailers wanting help and information in how they can improve their business; do things better; how to hire and train good employees, etc.

I ask them, "Who do you buy your chemicals and supplies from?"

They answer, "Oh, ABC Chemical Co."

My reply, "Why don't you ask them for this help?"

His reply, "I have but they do not provide it, that is why I called you."

My reply, "Well, we also sell chemicals and supplies!!!"

His reply. "Oh, well I really like ABC's products."

End of story! See my point. There is a need for information in this industry and if you study all the other industries in automotive field the suppliers be they equipment; chemical or supply companies, ALL offer some types of business help for their customers and potential customers.

DETAIL PLUS is a supplier to the detail industry, with equipment; chemicals and operational supplies. But, more importantly we offer all types of business start up and operational help.

Are you afraid to ask my advise on something related to the detail business? Do you think your marketing expert would know more about marketing this business than I would?

And, we give this information FREE to our customers.

My point is, that the precedent is set in other auto service businesses, not to mention the janitorial and carpet cleaning industries that industry suppliers help their customers with information not just product.

If you believe that your chemical supplier is not obligated to provide you more than chemicals that is great for your supplier, you are letting him off the hook very easy.

So,if you need help give me a call, I sell detail business consulting.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
June 03, 2004 01:41AM
<HTML>Bud,

Detail Plus, Rightlook.com, Detail King, Paint Bull and all of these other "super detail centers" are in a different category than Auto Magic, Ardex, Malco, CarBrite, Meguiars, PRO, and 3M suppliers. One of your businesses services (and theirs) as a supplier is marketing/business consulting -- which isn't really offered as a "product" by my second list of suppliers. They all do, however, offer training and proper usage techniques.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

June 03, 2004 01:55AM
<HTML>I am amazed at the "free shipping" being at the top of the list.

Not that a person or business should not look for the best deal, etc, but!!

If one really looks at all the "issues", "concerns" of buying product and then actually sees that "shipping" can be hidden, etc, might wish to reconsider that posistion.

For an example, if you get one price list that shows a gallon of product, (assuming it is a "quality" product, with a known value and name")at $15.00 and free shipping, then another price list for a name/known product at $12.50 a gallon, but with a charge for shipping, what is the difference?

That of course, would depend on several factors, like amount of weight, etc, and now I would ask each to consider and present in an intelligent manner what and how this variable may be either good or bad.

Is that a fair question to ask?

I think so, for one should consider the amount of product being purchased, the distance they are from the supplier, the way a detailer finds the product to be effective versus another product, etc.

Let the "games" begin!

Grumpy</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
June 03, 2004 02:13AM
<HTML>I must of had the doors down while using Trim Shine today because I forgot to mention Auto International. Sorry Ketch, I put you in the "super detail center" along with ones I mentioned.

As for your statement, what was the question you want answered?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

June 03, 2004 03:51AM
<HTML>Frankly folks, I am way to busy to worry about shipping costs. As long as the product works, as long as I get what I ordered in quick time I have no problem paying shipping.

I set out before most places open and get home long after they close so I depend on my products being shipped. I come home and place an order, about twice a month. I order from Romania, a wonderful product line called "Vlatz". They also send a bottle of premium Vodka with every order over $50.00!

There is a saying.......something like this......If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is.

Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login