Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Al Capone & Shoe Shining

Posted by Bud Abraham 
Al Capone & Shoe Shining
May 31, 2004 05:04PM
<HTML>Did you know that when Al Capone was a teenager he started a shoe shining business in front of a hotel near his home?

See, from humble beginnings you can rise to great heights.

Go to google and type in "Shoe Shining Business." Many interesting stories.

Regards</HTML>

buda
Re: Al Capone &amp; Shoe Shining
May 31, 2004 05:42PM
<HTML>Yes...,

Jesus was born in a stable..., but rose above the rest by having integrity, honesty, and a pure heartsmiling smiley</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
May 31, 2004 08:22PM
<HTML>Amen!!!!!

Bud A</HTML>

buda
May 31, 2004 08:34PM
<HTML>Al Capone...great role model winking smiley</HTML>
June 01, 2004 02:49AM
<HTML>Ceretainly not a role model in any way, shape or form, but from humble beginnings you can get ahead if you are smart.

For whatever else you can say about Al he was smart and did not get to the top being a shoe shiner all his life.

BA</HTML>

buda
June 01, 2004 03:14AM
<HTML>Bud, please dont go putting ideas in to the young innocent minds on this forum, before we know it we will have gangs of detailers controlling the lower west side, syndicated car wash rings , and visits from Big Vern ..

"da boss heard youse been getting your car cleaned somewhere else, da boss, he dont like that, sees it as a lack of respect, youse get your car detailed by us, or we remove knee caps , kapiche ??"

Wasnt that smart , got busted for tax evasion and had to pay back $215,080.48 in taxes !

Jim.</HTML>
June 01, 2004 03:40AM
<HTML>Yes..., he sure did get ahead..., by taking advantage of people that was less powerfull and less fortunate...,
Great way to get ahead..., lets all follow good ole' Al...

Not in my lifetime!!!</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
June 01, 2004 04:06AM
<HTML>Jim:

Great humor, thanks.

He was smart enough to move from being a shoe shiner in front of a hotel to the Boss of the Chicago Family for years.

His failing is like that of many people, they act like they are above the law. Of course Capone was always above the law in all that he did and got away with it for years, but he did get caught didn't he.

That is moral of this story "he got caught." Just like the violaters of the Clean Water Act got caught in Macon. And how the violators in LA and San Diego and other communities will get "caught" eventually if they do not obey the law.

I know that I sound like a broken record on this point, but I want new to the industry detailers to know the law and the consequences if they chose to violate the law.

I want those detailers currently violating the law to be reminded that they are violating the law, and to ask themselves if they can afford the consequences if they get caught, as Capone did?

And, do they not believe they have an enviromental responsibility to not knowingly pollute?

Thanks

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
June 01, 2004 04:15AM
<HTML>Literally killed off his competitors and was king of the hill until Eliott Ness & the FBI got on the case. Then he went to prison for tax evasion and died there from syphillis boring holes in his brain. Wow! A real American success story.

At best, you could say he was the antithesis of what the American entreprenuer was all about.

I prefer examples like Henry Ford, Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison (who was blind for most of his life) as well as Eli Whitney and George Washington Carver who overcame extreme poverty and racial discrimination to become two of the greatest inventors in American history. They refused to let the ignorance of others stand in the way of their creative genius and were willing to risk their lives for it.</HTML>

Shine On!

Rod Wesley
Touch Up 'N' Go!
Auto &amp; Marine Appearance Center
We take your car from Rough to Buff!
Visit our website at: www.touchupngo.com
June 01, 2004 04:26AM
<HTML>Rod:

Excellent post. The people you mentioned did things by the book. They did not become successful knowingly violating the law.

That is the point of the Al Capone success story is that he made it with smarts and aggressiveness, but violated the law in everything he did.

And, what happened? He got caught. Violators of the law in most cases get caught.

That is what mobile or fixed detail business operators need to know, if you violate the water discharge laws you will eventually get caught.

bud A</HTML>

buda
June 01, 2004 04:29AM
<HTML>Henry Ford is a pathetic example of the american entrepreneur. Read John C Maxwells "21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership" if you wish to know why.</HTML>
June 01, 2004 04:30AM
<HTML>Wayne:

Actually Al Capone was well-liked and respected by the little people because for all else you can say about him, he was very generous and giving to the small people in his area.

That is why it was hard to get him on anything because a lot of the good people liked him.

Not to say that what he did was right. Certainly anyone who knowingly violates the law should be punished. And, like so many who do violate the law, they do usually get caught.

May I ask you then is it ok for Detailers to knowingly violate the law by discharging their waste water on to the ground an into the storm sewer?

Are they not hurting everyone by polluting? Are they not "thumbing their noses at the system" as you chastize Al Capone for doing?

Regards
bud a</HTML>

buda
June 01, 2004 04:34AM
<HTML>Brian:

Thanks for bringing up Henry Ford. He was a cantankerous (sp) man and did some very strange things in his later years.

They say he killed his son Edsel, that he died of a broken heart never being able to live up to the expectations Henry had for his "weak-hearted son" as he called him.

We could also look at John D. Rockefeller. Books were written asking: "Was He a Robber Baron or an Industrial Statesman?"

He might have been just as bad as Al Capone in his own way.

Regards
Bud a</HTML>

buda
June 01, 2004 04:56AM
<HTML>Ok Ok, stop picking on the Italians.

Read "Losing My Virginity" by Richard Branson if you want to learn success from "young entrepreneuring" on the street.

Or if you prefer Mafia role models, read up on Charles "Lucky" Luciano. A true rags to riches story. More sucessful than Big Al and the Federal gov't actually needed his help.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
June 01, 2004 08:19AM
<HTML>Bud...,

Looks like we both have different role models...,
You picked Al Capone, I picked Jesus....,

To answer your question..., What is worse..., breaking man's law, or God's law?</HTML>

www.waynestowels.com
June 01, 2004 12:44PM
<HTML>Brian ..another great book to read, is "Nuts" by Kevin and Jackie Freiberg. It is the Southwest airlines story and in particular Herb Kelleher. This is a book that can really open your eyes . Great reading !

Jim.</HTML>
Capone's Caddy
June 02, 2004 01:48PM
<HTML>Ignoring his criminal lifestyle for a second, still gotta love his bullet proof V 16 Caddy winking smiley</HTML>
Re: Capone's Caddy
June 02, 2004 11:47PM
<HTML>Brian L-LOL about Henry Ford!! He was a weird bird, as many gifted people are. He was a known Jew-hater (some even considered him to be a Nazi sympathizer) a harsh and demanding father, had some weird ideas about health (he was associated with the Kellogg's Institute of Health or something like that) and was a notorious foe of the unions.

No doubt he was a very controversial and opinionated person. My Dad worked out at the Ford Estate in Dearborn when he was a young man working for the phone company. He had to install the phone lines that ran from the Power House to the main mansion. He also installed all the phone lines that went to each of the guest rooms in the house. Each guest room had a line that ran to a switch box in Ford's private bedroom. Whenever a guest was using the phone in their room, a light would go on in the switch box and Ford could plug into the connection and listen in on the conversations without being detected. There was also a peephole in the walls or ceiling of most of the guest rooms that could be accessed by a secret catwalk through a hidden door next to the fireplace in Ford's study. Very weird stuff, indeed.

During the first week my Dad worked out at the estate, he had to go into mansion to pull some of the wiring into the house. There was a small entry way with a large desk that one had to walk by to get into the house. One morning, someone appeared to be asleep at the desk, leaning back in a chair with his legs on the desk, a hat pulled low over his eyes. Dad, not wanting to disturb the resting man, quietly walked by him and as he was reaching for the door to go into the house, the man jumped out of his chair and leveled a shotgun between my Dad's eyes! The man said to him "Who the hell are you? And what're you doing here?" Dad was startled to say the least and explained that he was with the phone compnay working on running the communications lines throughout the house adn power station. He showed the guy his credentials and the guy ease up. He introduced himself as Henry's son, Benson Ford. From that point on, Dad got along fine with the Ford brothers, Benson, Clay and Edsel.

Another part of the job was running phone lines from the house to the guest house on the property where Henry would allow special guests to stay. Among these guests were George Washington Carver (who my Dad actually met) and in later years, Henry's purported mistress. Anyhow, Dad would have to be driven out to the guest house accompanied by the 3 brothers and Benson would always have that shotgun with him, shooting at birds (or anything else he fancied) from the Ford convertible they would ride in. My Dad thought Benson was a bit of a nut, Edsel was always quiet, and Clay was a well-polished, smooth-talker.

I know it's off topic, but I thought it was kind of interesting.</HTML>

Shine On!

Rod Wesley
Touch Up 'N' Go!
June 03, 2004 12:30AM
<HTML>Are you sure about Henry Ford's sons? I believe he had only one son, Edsel. The others I thought were sons of Henry Ford II.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
June 03, 2004 04:57AM
<HTML>I'm sorry. I should have clarified. They were Hank the Deuce's sons by Elanor. I think there were only 2, William Clay and Benson. Josephine was their daughter and obviously was not hanging around with her brothers when this was going on. The third guy must have been a friend or cousin of theirs. Also, it should be noted that Ford, II did not hold the same beliefs as his father and made a lot of inroads in mending fences with the Jewish community. I'm obviously getting my Henry's mixed up.

I'll talk to my Mom and see if she knows who was there. My Mom worked for Ford for close to 30 years and knows a lot of the Ford family history.</HTML>

Shine On!

Rod Wesley
Touch Up 'N' Go!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login