Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Almost fined today.....

Posted by Solo Con 
Almost fined today.....
June 01, 2004 06:07AM
<HTML>as I was detailing a friends car today, (Free of charge) two (2) men in a unmarked car came up and asked who was the owner of the van (I work out of a van)

I informed him I was. they started asking me a few questions like how long have I been detailing, If I was the owner of the company, and if I knew of the laws regarding mobile detailing. I was honest with them and informed them I do a lot of resurch online and I could not be 100% sure if I was 100% in complinces with all laws.

They started to look at my containment mat and one of the men said that it was doing its job. (Mine is home made out of 2 very large tarps with 4x4's on all four sides of it. I then collect the water using my 16 gal shop Vac...)

they then asked if I was reg. with the state which I am and showed my info on it. Next was the big MSDS question. When they brought it up, I was a little worried. I was not sure if I had them all but I knew I had some/most. Out of 28 different kind of chemicals I carry, I had all but 2 of the MSDS sheets.

they informed me that this could carry a fine, but they would not fine me as its looked (to them) that I was atleast trying to comply with the law. thisall took about a total of about 20 mins and they seemed happy about the outcome (as I was because I did not recive any fines)

I have been detailing for about 6 months now and they have already started to questions me. I thank God I read these forums and try to understand the laws. My mat setup cost me around $80.00 (if that much) and just saved me. as far as theMSDS go, I now have the 2 I was missing.

this is the only forum I read on detailing and I would like to say THANKS to you all as I was w/o a fine today.</HTML>
Re: Almost fined today.....
June 01, 2004 06:26AM
<HTML>That reminds me , I need to update my MSDS.

yOU DID GOOD, FOLLOW THE LAW AND MAKE THE MONEY.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
June 01, 2004 12:27PM
<HTML>Solo , good job on complying.

Did these guys show you any id ? Just curious as if they were the EPA, why they were looking at your MSDS sheets, the EPA dont enforce MSDS regulations . If they were from OSHA then why were they looking at your containment mat, becuase they dont enforce EPA regulations.

The most shocking quetion , government employees working on a holiday ??? What is the world coming to ?

Good job though.

Jim.</HTML>
June 01, 2004 01:14PM
<HTML>No, they did not show ID at all. I did not ask for it either. I guess I should next time. Their car looked as if it were driving them old white undercover cop cars. One of them showed some type of ID card (from his wallet) but I did not see it very well at all.

I personaly thought it was like some type of Cop. but again, that was also just how I felt.</HTML>
June 01, 2004 01:14PM
<HTML>Congrats. From the sounds of it you shouldn't have any worries. I got "slapped on the wrist" about 8 years ago because we weren't keeping on top of the MSDS sheets and training. If you are honestly trying to keep in compliance they will never give you too much trouble and it sounds like you are going to great lengths to run your business professionally. My hat's off to you.</HTML>

June 01, 2004 01:36PM
<HTML>Scott,

in your above post, you talk about getting a "slapped on the wrist" for not "keeping on top of the MSDS sheets and training." What do you mean by training? Am I missiong somethng here?

I just don't want to be fined and want to make sure I have everything covered.</HTML>
June 01, 2004 02:23PM
<HTML>I'm off to call my chem supplier for msds sheets!</HTML>
June 01, 2004 03:42PM
<HTML>In my province we are required to have all necessary msds sheets available to employees as well as provide training to all employees on how to use and understand the msds/whmis system. We have to maintain a alist of who was trained and when they completed the training and have a "safety official" appointed among the staff.</HTML>

June 01, 2004 05:19PM
<HTML>Solo--As I am in the process of learning about detailing I thought this was a great post. I have some questions for you and the others.

1. You mentioned that you use 2 large tarps and 4X4's for your containment mat. Do you have to drive over one of the 4X4's to get the vehicle on the mat and does this cause any problems with cars that sit close to the ground.

2. After you reclaim all of your water in your shop vac do you then empty that into a holding tank of some sort and where/how do you dispose of it.

3. Are chemical suppliers required to provide you with all MSDS's for the chemicals that you buy off of them and if not where do you get them?</HTML>

Thanks
Mark
June 01, 2004 05:46PM
<HTML>Mark,

I would have to get you the exact size of the Tarps but I got them both at Home Depot. (I got the extra thick tarps, you can feel the differance) I lay them both (traps) on the ground side by side. I then drive the car/truck (or what ever it is I am working on) over the tarp. I then place the 4 x 4's under the tarp and use cords (using the holes in the tarp) to hold the tarp and 4x4's in place. This makes it so the water does not run off the tarp. When it comes to moving the car/truck, I remove one side of the 4x4's and move the car/truck.

When it comes to collecting the water, I use the wet/dry vac. When I collect more then 16 Gal's of water, I use 5 gal buckets with lids on them to hold my water (I pour from the wet/dry vac into the 5 gal buckets)

When it comes time for me to dump my water, I just toss it out at a local Car wash down the street from me. (I talked to the owner about it, he says its ok)

I hope you understand this, if not.. just post here or email me.

In regards to the lower cars, no I don't have a problem due to the fact that the tarp runs out past all for sides of the car. (With planty of room)

As far as MSDS goes, I getmost of mine from the company I get my supplies, onlinefrom the manfg, web site, of by phone/fax.

I know my "mat setup" is not the way it should be, but I am still in the works of trying to get my company off the ground. I repair computers (on the side) to pay for my startup cost of becoming a Detailer. I am trying to stay within the law at all cost but am on a budget. As my company grows, I will be buying a "true" mat system.</HTML>
June 01, 2004 07:02PM
<HTML>Solo--Thanks for the info, I get the picture on the mat setup. The MSDS didn't occur to me until you mentioned it. I will have to make sure I get those also.</HTML>

Thanks
Mark
June 03, 2004 03:19AM
<HTML>Solo Con:

I like the way you make that homemade mat.</HTML>

Auto Appearances Inc , Raleigh NC (919) 812-4759
June 03, 2004 03:25AM
<HTML>Mark..go to

[www.osha.gov]

will give you some good information on MSDS/Hazard Communication.

When you get up this way I have some OSHA safety packets you can have.

Jim.</HTML>
June 03, 2004 12:46PM
<HTML>Jim--Sent an email last week to find out where you were located as I was going to be in the area but I did not get a reply. I will be back this weekend also.</HTML>

Thanks
Mark
June 03, 2004 12:49PM
<HTML>Sorry Mark, I never got it..I will email you my info tonight .

Jim.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login