Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

high speed buffer

Posted by Samuel B Robinson 
high speed buffer
June 01, 2004 07:25PM
<HTML>Please advise,

I am researching on high speed buffer and I want to get my feet wet. I have an old chevy cavalier that my wife has allowed me to perfect my trade. What type of high speed buffer do you guys recommend I purchase as my first tool to correct painted surfaces. Are there any books/videos do you recommend me buying to read more on the subject. What type of pads should I look to purchase. I am at the comparision shopping stage and will be making the purchase within the month. Thanks in Advance for all of the replies.

Take Care,</HTML>
Re: high speed buffer
June 01, 2004 07:56PM
<HTML>I love my Makita 9227c.
It has a loop handle which makes it mush easier for me to control, variable trigger speed, variable dial speed, slow start, lots of power, highly recommended...
( harborfreight.com $159 & free shipping)

For pads, Buff & Shine, Lake County or Edge all make good pads.
( 3dproducts.com $8 per pad if I remember correctly)</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
June 01, 2004 10:36PM
<HTML>Sam, I have used the DeWalt 849 for several years anf ound it to be an excellent machine. Other than abuse it never went to be repaired once .

I havent used one myself , but I have heard good things about the Porter Cable 7428.

You can pick up both for about $200 or less if you shop around. I always buy mine from a local tool store , any problems with it and I can drive two blocks down the road to get it fixed.

Jim.</HTML>
June 02, 2004 12:56AM
<HTML>Sam, 1st welcome to the forum. I have 2 air buffers, they are great, but get cold quick. Air coming out from under pressure. I have used the Dewalt, and the Milwaukee,and the Makita 9227c that Wayne refferred to. I purchased a Makita 9227c,and I love it ! It has a soft start, so you tend to sling less material on startups, also smear the chemical around some before you start, thus also minimizing sling off. Where Wayne told you to purchase from, is probably the cheapest place to purchase it from. Before you do, ask some of the venders on the forum to price match,and also purchase some good pads from them as well. Bud sells great stuff at Detail Plus, as does Ron Ketchem at Auto Int , Wayne, and Hell a host of others on this forum. Personnally I'm going to try some of Buds Spagetti Foam Pads, as well as he also sells the new Edge 2000 Pads that use a quick connect to R&R Pads..................Brandy !
P.S. You'll like the Makita, as it has a big Loop Handle that will help take strain off the arms, when buffing with a heavy cutting compound!</HTML>
June 02, 2004 06:15AM
<HTML>Just bought the Mak. 9227 and can't wait to try it out.

R Regan</HTML>
December 05, 2007 06:16PM
Has anyone heard of the Flex 3401 yet. I heard about this from a fellow detailer!
December 17, 2007 12:58PM
Well the Flex is in and the Hype is for real! This is one nice buffer. I would invite anyone considering buying a buffer, no matter the brand. Be sure to check out the Flex!
June 19, 2008 10:40PM
Hello all!

I am new to this and I detail cars on the side for friends and what not. I used to detail cars at a shop but never used buffers.

I have thought about puchasing a buffer but I guess for the little number of cars I detail, I can't get past good ole elbow grease.

Does the buffer do a better job or does it just get the job done faster? Thanks.

Aaron
June 20, 2008 09:17PM
Answer :
It can take forever to polish a car by hand with a fine polish such as Zaino Fusion, Griot's Machine Polish #3, Meguiar's Swirl Free Polish and some from Optimum, Menzerna and many others. Unless I use a buffer, I tend to get uneven results. Some compounds and polishes are labeled for machine use only, although they can be applied by hand with enough elbow grease.
Some waxes may shine better if they are applied by machine but others , such as Malm's and Zaino Z-2 should only be applied by hand. Griot's Best of Show Wax and AutoMagic Wet Wax last longer if they are worked into the finish by machine .
One-step waxes clean, polish and protect. A buffer gets the most out of their cleaning action. Examples include Meguiar's Car Cleaner Wax, Mother's Original, Zaino AIO, Klasse AIO and many more.
I think that both an orbital buffer , such as a PC 7424 and a rotary buffer such as a Dewalt 849 are essential tools for a detailer. If you never do serious paint correction, you can get away with only an orbital . Linked article : [www.americascarcare.com]
Doug

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2009 02:17AM by Doug Delmont.
June 21, 2008 04:59AM
As a newbee I would suggest you look at the Dual Action Buffer, either air or electric. In combination with the 6" dual-side pads--- wool, poly/wool, foam cutting pads and he foam polishing pad plus the variation grits of compound----

you have a tool that will correct most any problem on clears without leaving buffer swirls.

It is simply a phenomenal tool and something every detailer should have in their tool corral, and something every newbee should start out with.

Regards
Bud Abraham

buda
June 21, 2008 10:41PM
I too am loking at getting a Porter House Cable polisher having no experience with a High Speed buffer fell this would be the best start.

The Flex is it a Rotary buffer>

thanx kerr
June 21, 2008 11:31PM
The flex is a very impressive tool and yes it does rotate although 480rpm is the max, it produces very impressive results when the proper product ,pads and technique are used.
June 22, 2008 12:10AM
The Porter-Cable and DeWalt are orbitals and not dual-action, they are similiar but not the same. The dual-action orbits, but as it does the pads spin, but not at a high speed like a rotary buffer.

That is why I am recommending that newbees and experienced detailers get a dual action tool. The electric ones that I have experience with are the Flex and the Cyclo, both excellent tools if you do not have air.

DETAIL PLUS offers an excellent air powered dual action that comes as a complete kit with chrome attachment for the dual-sided pads to connect to and one of each pad you will need: CUTTING PADS: wool; poly/wool; foam POLISHING: foam.

Do not confuse orbital with dual action and do not be afraid of a dual action tool, they are just about idiot proof if you know which pad to use and which compound. And, if you do not know that you should just be waxing cars.

Regards
Bud Abraham
June 22, 2008 08:05PM
OK will look into a Dual Action buffer do not have an air compressor so will go with electric powered.

The Flex is pricey and just for my vehicles and perhaps a few family members vehicles ; what about vibration I've read these vibrate alot.

thanx kerr
June 22, 2008 08:36PM
The correct tools to do the correct job are expensive. The dual action tools to do vibrate to any extent that I have noticed.

Do to craig's list you might find a Cyclo or Flex there at a lower price.

Or put a "WANTED" ad on craig's list asking for a Cyclo or Flex tool.

Regards
Bud Abraham
June 23, 2008 10:37AM
The flex is around $300 which pays for it,s self with one or two buffings and yes it vibrates alot!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2008 10:38AM by Pro Mobile Details.
June 23, 2008 01:17PM
Bud-
The PC 7424 and 7336 are dual action . Meguiar's markets their PC as a dual action, in fact. DA is a type of orbital . The other type is a random orbital, typified by the GEM .
You may be referring to the dual heads of the Cyclo and others .
Doug
June 23, 2008 11:09PM
If I get one it would be a Meguiars Gs 110 Polisher because they have reworked it some so it vibrates less and has a bit more power also having adjustable handles.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login