Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

High-Speed Buffers

Posted by Kenneth E 
High-Speed Buffers
June 02, 2004 02:23AM
<HTML>I'm working on putting together my equipment to start detailing in the evenings and weekends. My budget is very limited, I'm currently using a wet/dry vac and a scrub brush to extract soil from carpets. I'm a detailer by trade but working for someone else, I can't seem to get ahead financialy. Anyway I've always used a DeWalt Variable speed buffer(1000-3000rpm), which I'd love to own, but after pricing several different places, I can seem to find anything under $180. Anyway my question is if it's possible to alter one of those variable-speed hand held grinders with the sheild to catch sparks, into a buffer???? They are much more affordable for some reason and look extremely similar to the model I use.

Also, at the shop where I work, the owner of the company has me using the carpet extracting fluid in the heated compartment of the shampooer. I pretreat the carpets with a foam cleaner, then scub the heavily soiled areas with a brush, then run the shampooer over it, using amore concentrated exractor in a spray bottle for the really bad parts. That dosent seem right to to me because I'm leaving all that residue from the solvents in the finised carpets. Can this be harmfull? If you guys have any suggestions on a better process I could use with the supplies I have, I would really appreciate your input!!!</HTML>
Re: High-Speed Buffers
June 02, 2004 02:34AM
<HTML>Ken, try looking on e-bay ..

[search.ebay.com]

Jim.</HTML>
June 02, 2004 02:57AM
<HTML>If you are only using a shop vac to extract carpets and fabric then you will be leaving soap residue in the fabric too. You need to have an extractor to do the job properly if you want to do a professional job.</HTML>

June 02, 2004 06:11AM
<HTML>Ken,

I just picked up a Makita Polisher for 137 with shipping. The deals are out there. I think Harborfreight sells the Makita for 158 new with shipping. Someone just got an almost new Cyclo for 150 last week on Ebay. Just go on there and type in key words that fit what you want.

I only put water in my extractor now as I've learned about the residue being left behind. There are extractors that do a good job for much less than they were 8 yrs. ago when I started.

Hope this helps,
R Regan</HTML>
June 02, 2004 06:22AM
<HTML>I'm right wth Rob -- I only use water in my extractor. Keeps the customer's cars residue and foam free.

Kenneth, what speed does the grinder go up to? I'd buy a used rotary polisher off of ebay or buy a cyclo off Rob. I hardly need to use my rotary since I'm mostly dealing with high lines.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
June 02, 2004 01:37PM
<HTML>I just got the dewalt 849 from coastal tool for about 166.50 shipped</HTML>
June 02, 2004 01:40PM
<HTML>If you only use water, whats the point of extracting? Doesn't it take a cleaning agent to actually clean somewhat?</HTML>
June 02, 2004 01:54PM
<HTML>I pre spray the carpets with First Strike (local janitorial supplier) that begins working on the fabric. After about 5 minutes, I agitate with a stiff carpet brush as needed...some carpets are fragile and these brushes lift the fibers right out of the backing! I then go over the carpet and extract. With the heat and lift of the extractor, the area is always clean. Customers are always surprised when I show them the recovery tank...black!!!

R Regan</HTML>
June 02, 2004 05:50PM
<HTML>snap on tools get a ra truck account and make payments no interest but you have to be on time every week or they take your stuff</HTML>
June 02, 2004 09:02PM
<HTML>Thanks Jim for the link you provided in this thread. I was able to go onto Ebay and bid 60.00 for a American Tool Variable speed polisher. it has 6 settings: setting 1-1500rpm, setting 2-1800rpm, setting 3-2100rpm, setting 4-2400rpm, setting 5-2700rpm and setting 6-3000rpm. It is a starter tool, I know but it would allow me to gain experience before I go out and purchase an expensive piece of equipment.....</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login