Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Extractor with or with out Soap Solution?

Posted by Eric Brandenburg 
<HTML>Folks I guess I getting mixed signals from you folks who have and are using Carpet Extractors.
1st Vacuum.
2nd Extract with Hot Soapy Solution.</HTML>
<HTML>Forgive me for screwing up the 1st thread on Extracting.

3rd- scrub with a hand brush if needed.
4th then do you know go back over with clean hot water in the Extractor, thus removing all of the Soap /Cleaner Spotter from the Carpet. I'm assuming that the Extractor process is 2 step 1st with Solution, then 2nd with clean water.

I apologize for being so confused but I can't see how you can get all of the soap out, with just expecting the Extractor to pull/vacuum it out, with out a clean water rinse, then of course vacumming the rinse back out.
I do realize the Pro Extractors can suck a Golf Ball through a Garden hose, but irreguardless, it looks to me that you'll still need the rinse step.
I deep vacuum, then use a air scrub brush and hand brush, with some carpet shampoo in a squirt bottle, work than in good then use my Bissell Little Green Machine w/Heated clean water to remove the residue of soap and dirt. It would sure be nice to get a Big Extractor with duel tanks one soap and one clean water............Brandy.</HTML>
Re: Extractor with or with out Soap Solution?
June 02, 2004 10:48PM
<HTML>Eric,

I've been told by the manufacture (Mytee) and my supplier of the extractor (Rightlook.com) to use only clean water. The chemicals we use and the procedures for treating the stain (pre-spot, shampoo with brush, etc) is what gets the majority of the stain out. Then after the carpets are shampooed and the extractor water in the line is boiling hot, I extract with the fresh water. I test an area with my finger (rub back and forth) and see hardly any foaming whatsoever.

Plus the steaming/hot water extractor loosens up soils -- and burns your fingers if you buy an in-line heated unit without hidden lines. Good machine though -- just wish it didn't burn me all the time.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
<HTML>I appreciate your in put Brian, I'll use my new one like I'm doing the Green Machine now,and that is for hot rinsing only..........Thanks Again Brandy !</HTML>
June 03, 2004 03:00AM
<HTML>YEP, WATER ONLY. i HAVE EBBEN USING di WATER AND MY MACHINE LOOKS AS NEW AS THE DAY i BOUGHT IT.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
June 04, 2004 01:26PM
<HTML>Brandy:

You do not use "soapy shampoo" in an extractor. You use a non-foaming shampoo. In fact, it is 64 to 1 dilution.

The reason for the little shampoo is to rinse clean the dirt and shampoo residue left in the carpet/upholstery fiber from the foaming shampoo used for that step.

Everyone has their opinions in this industry and that does not make them correct or right.

I only go with what professionals recommend. The Carpet Cleaning Institute of the US recommends the use of extractor shampoo in an extractor.

Why try and re-invent the wheel? Go with what the experts in carpet cleaning say is the right way to go?

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
<HTML>Bud, I guess I should have better clarified the question?
The Average dirty carpet-
*** This is the way I do it be it, right or wrong,you can enlighten me!******
1st- Deep Vacuum to remove everything that you can get with a vacuum cleaner.
2nd- Spray spotter on the heavily soiled areas, and a light spray of shampoo over the entire carpet area ( 50-1) or thats what the carpet shampoo that I use called for, then use the scrub brush. My case its with the air buffer with a scrub brush, work this in good.
3rd- remove the shampoo and dirt with the Extractor ( sometimes if I got too much Spot release solution,I had to extract a second time)
4th- Put the air blower (Fan) to finish drying out the carpet. Also checking to see that the Shampoo residue is gone from the clear water Extraction Rinse.
What you are telling me is to use a 64-1 extractor Non Foaming shampoo solution while doing the final extraction. I don't think there is an extractor out there that will remove everything completely that comes through the spray head. Maybe it will. I still think that there will be solution left on the carpet fiber surface if the extractor has a solution in it what ever the porportion is, which as all say, that this will cause the carpet to wick the dirt back faster. I'm just trying to understand the steps, if I can eleminate something here in carpet cleaning, thats what I want to do, so I can move on to the next job.
Bud, and the rest, I have visited Shops from Lexington,Ky > Charleston,Wva > Columbus, Ohio. I seen Um extract using "Bounty Towling up thru $5200.00 steam extractors. Like I say they all are probably doing it wrong or at least in the wrong steps, but about everybody with exception of the Detailer at Columbus, Ohio- he was the one with the new Steam Extractor. I couldn't feel anything on the carpet when he did his final extraction with steam. I just don't know how his solution was set up. Poor Guy was carring the weight of the world on his shoulders , cause Ohio State got their Ass kicked in football last season, and he was still haulin a "MAD ON"..... Brandy !</HTML>
<HTML>Eric I sent you an PM

I own a THERMAX CP12 2 STAGE FOR THE LAST 6 YEARS

This is my way I hope this help clear things

1] Remove large items [trash] from interior
SEATS ARE REMOVE WHEN APPLICABLE TRACKS BLOWN OUT
2] Intensive vacuum This is the key to sucess of interior extracting [IMO]
3] Spots are treated and srub
4] The seats are extracted first then the carpet is extracted

In my Thermax the solution I use is hot water and a rinse agent 1oz per gallon [remove] which remove and neutrilize the spotting solution while extracting I must admit this is not the manufacture suggestion this is a Janitoral supply store recommendation which I have used for the last 5 years with outstanding result. The seats or carpet have no hard feeling after drying

Downy also work in the solution tank to neutrilize the soap But I personal use a rinse agent that is supplied @ the Janitoral store</HTML>
June 04, 2004 09:51PM
<HTML>Eric,

You're doing it right.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

June 04, 2004 10:38PM
<HTML>I agree, either water only or a rinse.
Anything else will leave a film and attract dirt..., at least in my experiencesmiling smiley

If you add "soap" to the tank, you are rinsing with soap..., Hmmmm???</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
June 04, 2004 10:58PM
<HTML>Wayne:

We are not talking about "soap." We are talking about "shampoo." In this case we are talking about "extractor shampoo" which is a completely different formulation than carpet and upholstery shampoo.

Why do you suppose they call the chemical "extractor shampoo?"

The professional carpet cleaners rinse with "extractor shampoo" why is it that detailers seem to want to reinvent the wheel?

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
<HTML>Ok I'm with you guys now! "Extractor SHAMPOO" will help remove the carpet cleaner/shampoo/dirt, without leaving any soap or shampoo residue,is this now correct??? I guess what we call carpet cleaner/shampoo, and Extractor Shampoo is a complete different horse. I took it for granted that soap, was soap, was soap or shampoo being of the same nature in my little pea brain!. I do know, that if you use soft water, be it "DI, "RO" , or Salt softener water, you do not have to use nearly as much cleaner/soap/shampoo. I used some "DI" water, and when I cleaned a carpet the other day,and about 5minutes into the friction cleaning , the inside looked like the car had "RABIES". I didn't think I was ever going to get that @!#$ out. Just the difference in the softened water cost me an extra non-stop 2 hrs of cleaning the suds out. So guys take my F-up for a lesson. I guess as Bud says, that the Extractor Shampoo has a defoamer,or extra surfactant into the mix., thus eleminating the foaming action.
Buda, if you read this thread would you mine explaining the difference of how the extractor shampoo works, as opposed to the regular carpet shampoo? Is there a difference between auto carpets and how they are cleaned,as opposed to the stuff used at home or office. I just have a real good inexpensive supply, from a local Janitorial Supplier.... Brandy!</HTML>
<HTML>Forgot to thank you guys for your help on this one! I wished everybody was here the other day to bucket brigade the suds with me, I don't mean "BEER" suds either.....................Brandy</HTML>
June 05, 2004 12:52AM
<HTML>Bud,
Lets try this to stop any confusion.
Define "shampoo"

Are you speaking of Pre-spray?
Encapsulation?
Rinse Surfacant?
Etc, etc...,

Name a few "name brands and product names" of product you are speaking of..., just want to clear up any confusionsmiling smiley

I only use water in my machine, as per Mytee Extractor instructions and
Steamway recommendations for product use.

Wait a minute..., are you speaking of the "All in one type cleaner" such as purchased at Wal-Mart or Sears that is for use in the "Consumer grade cleaners"..., yes, you are to use those in the machine, however, I know of no professional cleaner that uses shampoo in the water tank...

Vacuum
Pre-Spray
Aggitate
HWE (hot water extract)
Spray protectant

Some will use a rinse "if" a newbie or unlearned person has the carpert saturated with soap or a cheap cleaner such as the all in one stuff from a previous cleaning..., but only to break down the old stuff and try to remove it...,
Then another HWE to remove all traces of soap, shampoo, rinses, etc, before applying a protectant.</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
June 05, 2004 01:39AM
<HTML>Wayne:

You have done a marvelous job of presenting your case. Why don't you define the terms as you see them and I will correct you where you are wrong.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
June 05, 2004 01:44AM
<HTML>Nice try, LOL!!!

Why are you so evasive about answering a direct question..., what is it you keep trying to hide?

You seem to do that on almost every post I make...</HTML>

www.waynestowels.com
June 05, 2004 01:57AM
<HTML>Nothing at all to hide.

The answer to your question is in your statement:

"almost every post that you make....."

Consider thoughtfully and you will find your answer.

Regards
Buda</HTML>

buda
June 05, 2004 02:12AM
<HTML>Still evasive, LOL!!

No straight answers..., just more games...</HTML>

www.waynestowels.com
June 05, 2004 02:19AM
<HTML>Not to take sides but I was also told by Mytee and Rightlook to use just clean water in the tank. They said I could use it but straight water will be better and prolonge my extractor's life.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

June 05, 2004 02:49AM
<HTML>Eric...still getting mixed signals ?? *L*
Here is what I do.

1/ Vacum as thoroughly as possible.
2/ Pretreat any heavy stains with enzyme-based (for protein stains)or water soluble solvents (for oil based stains)
3/ Extract with extractor fluid.

My understanding is that a regular shampoo will still leave residue on the carpets even if you vacum it. If you spray it with hot water then it will dilute it but not loosen it enough for it to be sucked up by the vacum. Extractor fluids containing mild alkalis and surfactants loosen dirt and grime but dont leave residue on the fabric. So by using a mixture (anywhere between 1;30 and 1;60 depending on which brand you use ) you actually remove more than you would by using regular hot water.

Jim.</HTML>
June 05, 2004 03:41AM
<HTML>A few extra notes to avoid confusion..

Extractor fluid is not shampoo, and this info from Bane-Clene..

"Bcause shampoos are actually very poor detergents and basically simply bury the dirt, they frequently also contain high levels of optical brighteners which take invisible ultraviolet light and convert it to visible light, thus making the carpet appear cleaner and brighter than it really is, for a while. It will eventually give the carpet a yellow cast and the yellow cannot be removed.".

Jim.</HTML>
June 05, 2004 05:05AM
<HTML>Jim:

Excellent post, I could not have done better myself. Hopefully that will give Wayne his definition of a shampoo.

You mention the carpet yellowing. This is caused from residual alkaline product left in the fibers of the carpet or fabric upholstery. In the professional carpet/upholstery cleaning industry they have an acidic product known by many names, Brown Out; No Brown; Brown be Gone, etc. which is basically an acidic product that neutralizes the alkaline to keep it from yellowing the lighter colored fibers.

We see this with white tee-shirts; briefs and dress shirts that turn yellow after washing. What is needed is to rinse them in an acidic rinse. My mother used to use water with a little vinegar in it to neutralize the alkaline.

Thanks for helping me out with wayne.

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
June 05, 2004 05:12AM
<HTML>Wayne:

As I said, be thoughtful and introspective and you will find the answers you are looking for in all cases.

And, read Jim Hamill's post and my subsequent reply to him, you will find your answers.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
June 05, 2004 06:22AM
<HTML>Thanks alot for the input!!! All you guys made things clearer for me...still a bit confused though....THANKS!!</HTML>
June 05, 2004 01:15PM
<HTML>Bud...,

You said to use "Shampoo".
"Wayne:

We are not talking about "soap." We are talking about "shampoo." In this case we are talking about "extractor shampoo" which is a completely different formulation than carpet and upholstery shampoo."

Jim said NOT to use "Shampoo"..., as did Mytee, Rightlook, Bane and a host of other "Professionals"
Let me repost Jims responsesmiling smiley

"Extractor fluid is NOT SHAMPOO, and this info from Bane-Clene..

"Bcause shampoos are actually very poor detergents and basically simply bury the dirt, they frequently also contain high levels of optical brighteners which take invisible ultraviolet light and convert it to visible light, thus making the carpet appear cleaner and brighter than it really is, for a while. It will eventually give the carpet a yellow cast and the yellow cannot be removed.".

Bud..., you will never admit being wrong or using old, outdated techniques, LOL!!
I think you are loosing a bit of credability with your nonsense posts smiling smiley

Here is a copy from a professional carpet cleaning boad when asked the same type questionsmiling smiley

I know, stupid question, but just wanted the "Carpet Pro's" to answer...,

I like to use my porty with only fresh, HOT water...,

He said to use a non-foaming shampoo IN the tank...,

I think it will leave a "film" that will attract dirt...,
Would not a pre-spray, aggitate/brush and extract with hot water work best?

What do the "Pro's" say?
(auto detailing carpet and upholstery)

Thanks guys!!

RE: Extract with water or soap water?
Posted by Bob Wittkamp on June 04, 2004 - 06:51 PM

Prespray, agitate as needed, rinse with clear water. No sticky residue.

Posted by Gary Hunt on June 04, 2004 - 07:05 PM

Just what Bob Wittkamp said, let a good pre-spray and agitation do the work for you.. All I ever use is a clear water rinse. I also like the Harvard Grime Release Pro for my pre-spray. Works great and no harsh fumes.

Posted by larry capitoni on June 04, 2004 - 07:46 PM

Some "pros" say, the "film" left by "some" shampoos is actually good and inhibits resoiling.

Personaly, I'm partial to a pre-spray, agitate/scrub, and HWE.

There are "pros" who advocate clear water, acid rinse and detergent rinse.
Take your pick

Auto detailing?
In some vehicals, curves and contours make it difficult and tedious to do a thorough HWE rinse of all the pre-spray.
That might be a good time for a quality, "good residue" shampoo, a strong vac and a hand full of spoting towels.

The upholstery would be a no brainer for me. If it's wet cleanable, a low moisture upholstery tool and HWE would be my choice.

But I'm no "pro".
I avoid auto detailing like the plague.
My wife has to bug me for months to clean her mini van, and it's relitivly easy compared to many vehicals.
I only do mine, cause I'm too cheap to pay $150 bucks at the detail shop.

...L.T.A.

Posted by Jim Childers on June 04, 2004 - 08:55 PM

No residue is less likely to resoil quickly. How many times have you foam locked from the diy'ers using safeway machines?

clear or acid rinse all the way imho.

Jim

Posted by Rick Freitas on June 04, 2004 - 08:59 PM

I use clear soft water, emulsifier, acid rinse and encapsulating rinse. It all depends on the situation.

Rick

Looking for 2 used Powerglide rotors. e-mail me!

Posted by Dennis Cashner on June 04, 2004 - 09:08 PM

So what do the pro's use?

Posted by Andy Vinczencz on June 04, 2004 - 09:55 PM

Water on most jobs

acid rinse on the nasty ones or if I think it's gonna wick back.

Posted by Fred Carter on June 04, 2004 - 11:26 PM

Its hard to imagine beating oxidized soft water and just a small touch of emulsifier or rinse agent when its just unbelievably TRAsHed

Posted by George Wills on June 05, 2004 - 12:36 AM

The true pros don't have to worry about that, the true pro's use an OP.

Posted by Rob Litwin on June 05, 2004 - 12:40 AM

I extract with soft water.

Posted by Curtis Pennington on June 05, 2004 - 07:59 AM

Clear water rinse is all you need, detergent's are way overated.

A good prespray will do it all.

An acid rinse as mentioned is the only thing you you will need to add for specific jobs. We use clear water rinse 95% of the time.</HTML>

www.waynestowels.com
June 05, 2004 01:37PM
<HTML>After much study...,
The only thing I could think of, is that some may use inferior products and techniques to clean interior..., so using a "shampoo" would give the initial "appearance" of clean carpet and upholstery...,

IMO, it is best to use what the real professionals use..., both products and techniques..., as well as not voiding your warranty using outdated techniques that will cost you repairs in the long run when you find your manufacturer will not cover your machine under warranty is using the "shampoo in tank method".

Although, you can use it if using Bissel, Hoover, Eureka and other Wal-Mart brands..., but not with "professional equipment" or for a long term professional results...,

Check out the professional carpet forums and ask the same question by people that make a living day in day out cleaning carpets such as-

[bbs.ccsop.com]

[www.i-boards.com];

www.waynestowels.com
June 05, 2004 03:11PM
<HTML>Wayne:

Now that you have done all that research I hope that you know the difference between soap; shampoo and the solution used in an extractor.

Good job.

bud abraham</HTML>

buda
June 05, 2004 04:13PM
<HTML>Of course I know..., I was not recommending using "Shampoo" in the tank...,
Remember..., it was you, LOL!!!

Bud,
You just keep on and on..., you are "begining" to look quite foolish...,
At least everyone will know the truth about you after reading through many of the recent postssmiling smiley

Some of your posts are good..., but there is always a "money catch" behind them...

Other posts, the information has been outdated by centuries...,

Please read what you are posting and stop making the forum a "blasting ground" for people that are honest and have nothing to gain by having to "sift" through your nonsense...
PLEASE- for the sake of the forum,,, stop the foolishnesssmiling smiley</HTML>

www.waynestowels.com
<HTML>Well Guys, Hmmm, I guess that you answered my question and then some. Jim Hamill you did a great job and i understood everything that you were saying and being an old water treating operator years gone by, the surfactant THING PRETTY MUCH ANSWERED MY QUESTION. THAT IS IF ALL EXTRACTOR SHampoos have a good amount of surfactant. I had a guy tell me along time ago that surfactant made water wetter,and that is how it works to loosen the embedded soils. Does that make sence???.... Also I thank you Wayne for the dilligent research that you did in finding what the carpet pro's do earning their Living....... Thanks to all of the rest for your in put as well. I think from now on I'll Email those individiuals for my questions, and thus quit tieing up alot of folks time have their personal Duels over some of my questions....... This Bullshit doesn't intemidate me for the least,as I haven't been done so since Boot camp 1965. I just don't understand for the life of me, why as Super Intelligent as you guys are, in your fields of indevor, AND US FLEDGLINGS HOLD YOU IN SUCH HIGH REGUARDS why you stoop to this @!#$?????????????................BRANDY!</HTML>
June 06, 2004 01:10AM
<HTML>Eric,
I TOTALLY AGREE!!

Almost every post I make Bud wants to start an argument with me or ANYONE that does not do it "Bud's way"...,

I also wish the BS would stop...,
Why he continues to attack me..., I do not know????

Anyhow, great postsmiling smiley</HTML>

www.waynestowels.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login