Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

growth

Posted by Bob W 
growth
June 03, 2004 08:56AM
<HTML>What service of detailing do you guys see growing the most in the next 5 years ????</HTML>

Bob
Re: growth
June 03, 2004 04:39PM
<HTML>Customer service.</HTML>

June 04, 2004 12:38PM
<HTML>Specializaton

Express maintenance service

Multiple service offerings</HTML>
June 05, 2004 02:36AM
<HTML>Excellent ideas, so far! Here's a couple I thought of.

Lease turn-in package. Something between an express & a full detail.

Sprayless paint touch-up or repair.</HTML>

Shine On!

Rod Wesley
Touch Up 'N' Go!
Auto &amp; Marine Appearance Center
We take your car from Rough to Buff!
Visit our website at: www.touchupngo.com
June 05, 2004 02:44AM
<HTML>3M Paint Protection Film installation.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
June 05, 2004 02:47AM
<HTML>A free inflatable doll with every complete detail.</HTML>
June 05, 2004 03:16AM
<HTML>Mark, let me know how that goes will you ??

Long story.

Yesterday I was talking to our area rep from the State Dealers association. We usually end up talking about detailing and have had this same conversation several times in the last year. Recently though, there was an area meeting between about 30 different dealership principals sponsored by the Dealership Association. They discussed what they thought would be the next area for dealers to grow as new profit centers. 27 out of the 30 said "detailing" . That stunned me a little , as most dealers dont give a crap about the detail bay or the detail staff. No training, no incentive and usually low paid staff.

The reasons given for the change in attitude. Dealers rely heavily on warranty work to keep the techs busy and it used to account on average for about 40-50% of shop work. Due to improvements in quality, this figure has steadily declined over the last 2-3 years, and dealers are looking for ways to muscle in on aftermarket non warranty work. They have already made significant steps in to the lube business, but as always, they want more profit centers.

The State rep thought that if this happens then we can say good bye to a lot of the independent detailers. I've posted this before but I will repeat it again. Small one man detail operations wont be able to compete no matter what detailing services they offer. Dealerships already have trained service writers in place, they already have comfortable waiting areas, they already have childrens play areas, refreshments, shuttles, loaner vehicles. As it is , many people choose dealerships over fast lube shops because they trust the dealers more than they trust the independent shops. Mobile detailers will probably be ok, there will always be people who want someone to come out to the house/work/dock to have their transport cleaned unless the EPA start further regulating where you can detail ( one post on here recently about not being able to work in residential areas or within 250 feet of them ?) but fixed operations could be in for a very sticky future if they dont grow out of the one man empire mode.

Picture this ..you arive at the dealership , well maintained, nice parking area and walk in to be greeted by a well dressed and well groomed service writer. While you are waiting for him to attend to you, you look around the walls and see pictures of the employee's with their Manufacturer and ASE certificates. The service writer finishes preparing your paperwork and tells you there will be a 5 minute wait while they bring your loaner vehicle up to the front door. The vehicle arrives and the Service writer walks you to the car . You leave , free to spend the day as you wish, you dont have to wait for your detailer to finish your vehicle, dont have to rely on friends to drive you around, dont need to arrange a ride out to pick up your vehicle. Later that day , you go back to the dealership, drive in to a well lit parking lot and are greeted by the same service writer. You pay the bill with your credit card ,hand in the keys to the loaner vehicle and drive happily away.

That is what we as detailers will have to compete with in a few years.

Your right Frank, Customer service should be the next growth area.

Jim.</HTML>
June 05, 2004 03:47AM
<HTML>Jim,

What you wrote is very true. This can either make us or break us -- and I feel the Association is the first step to a very GREAT thing for the industry.

We do have one definite benefit on our side and that is "a hell of a lot cheaper price" than what a dealership would charge!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
June 05, 2004 03:58AM
<HTML>The association could help for sure !

Actually around here , the dealers are charging the same price as the little guys for a full detail. I called them all a few months back !

Jim.</HTML>
June 05, 2004 11:36AM
<HTML>How many dealership employees truely understand, care about or even try to relate to their customers? Sure, from a business standpoint, dealership service writers will do whatever it takes in order to appear professional. Just think about the distorted image of the typical car salesman. Not a pretty picture.

In todays world, customer service goes well beyond appearance. Customer service is truely caring about your customers. Being able to relate to your customers. Knowing the likes and dislike of your customers. Knowing the names of your customers children and the names of their pets. Knowing about your customers hobbies. Favorite sports teams. Favorite dining establishments. Favorite foods. Favorite vacation places.

Think about it. How much does a dealership employee really know about their customers? How can a dealership compete with a one man detail operation who offers that kind of customer service?

Picture this. Just the other day one of my long time detailing customers just could'nt help but hug me after I got done detailing her Lexus. When is the last time you saw a customer hug a dealership service writer?</HTML>

June 05, 2004 02:01PM
<HTML>Jim, we saw this trend 8 years ago as it started to develope.

Many independant detailers have attended our PrepExcellence School who are preparing for this change.

While this movement will have some affect on the independant detailers business, it will mainly be detrimental to the "hackers".

The days of " I only do this because that is what someone told me" are going to come to a close, the days of the chemical salesman who sells by "this is the best stuff since sliced bread and a $1 a gallon cheaper" are numbered as well.

OSHA, the vehicle manufacturers will eventually drive out those types and require the use of chemicals that free of toxins and carcenigenics, or damaging to the paint/trim, interior fabrics, etc.

One has only to look about and see the muffler shops, brake shops, quality, independant automotive repair shops that are thriving, despite the Mr.Goodwrench, Quality Care, etc OEM programs.

However, look at what they have hanging on the walls in the reception or waiting areas of these independant shops, ASE, etc certificates, updates of various areas of expertise training, etc.

A few years ago, we prepared a nice brochure for dealers, "Circle of Profits" which we used at the NADA National convention.

This brochure was well accepted, however, with over 22,000+ new car dealers, rural, small cities, large cities, etc, not all are able to move into the detailing/reconditioning services due to lack of either space, money, or trained labor force.

In short, if one uses their heads and looks ahead, prepares, does their homework, etc, opportunities are there, with good profits.

It is a very involved concern, however to shorten it up, I feel that the strong, educated and willing to change and learn,detailers can take advantage of this situation.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
June 05, 2004 02:52PM
<HTML> I will be opening a new business in approx 6 month. ( Canada )
Let me just say that the people on this website have without a doubt helped me to understand alot of the challenges and rewards that come with this type of business.
I have only been reading this site for 3 weeks or so but I have been printing 20 to 30 pages a day and reading steady.It amazes me how much knowledge you guys share. I think this forum and forums like this one will be one of the things that will keep detailers who are interested in learning and growing in business for years to come regardless of what happens.
I would like to say thank you for giving back to the detailing business.
I think this is an outstanding networking tool and the people are a wealth of information.
Is there any training that you guys would suggest I look into that would benfit myself and my staff.</HTML>

Bob
June 05, 2004 03:20PM
<HTML>Frank . Good points .

Here is a customer comment card I kept from one of the dealerships I worked at .

"Thank you for detailing my 1998 Chevy Blazer. I have had it detailed twice before elsewhere , and it always looked like it had been detailed,Swirl marks, wet carpets etc. This time you made it look like a new vehicle and truthfully, when I picked the vehicle up today, it looked better than the day I drove it off the showroon floor".

Most dealers do keep excellent customer records, and they do know a lot about their customers. I watch our service guys everyday , how they interact with the customers. They have known many of these customers for many years. The Dealers have cleaned up their acts, becuase the manufactureres are making them do so. It would be foolish of me to say that all dealerships are like this, as much as it would be foolish of me to say that all independent operators cant compete with the big guys.

Ford and GM are getting in to the car care business. Saturn now sell a full car care line. Ford have a big range of in house cleaning supplies, including engine cleaners, car wash soap, waxes, all purpose cleaners etc. They even now have thier own chemical dispensing systems for use in dealer detail bays.

Dealerships also offer more conveinent opening hours, many of them now open until 8PM , some of the bigger ones now even run 24 hours (on the service side). Dealerships also have access to technical info, Ford have their own internal web site with Tech Service Bulletins for their detailers (not a very good one I will admit , but they are moving in the right direction).

Conveinence isnt everything , just a small part of customer service, but tell me how an independent operator can compete with the following.

1. Loaner vehicle. Customers can just drop their car off and spend the day as they normally would, no waiting around for someone to detail their car, no having to arange a ride. Right now at our place the loaner vehicles are brand new 2004 cars. How does the small shop compete with that ?

2. Shuttle program . Same as above , how do we compete with that.

3. Trained and Certified employees . ASE and OEM training programs . I have taken part in some of these OEM training sessions, and they are high quality. How do we match that as small operators. These training sessions are designed by pro's, with the information supplied by the engineers at the plants. How do we match that.

4. With the ever increasing technology being used in OEM paint finishes and even in the construction of the vehicles, how do we get access to that information and the knowledge to care for it. Nano Tech clear coat for example, we have all read the press articles on it, but has anyone seen a tech bulletin on how to properly care for this paint finish ? Sollx being used on the Smart car , anyone know the correct procedure for taking care of that stuff ?

5. Hybrid engines. With this growing trend how many of us know the correct procedure for cleaning an Hybrid engine ?

Please dont take my post as argumentative, they are not intended to be so. Shortly, I will be one of these independent operators myself so I will have to compete too.

Good thread, enjoying this.

Jim.</HTML>
June 05, 2004 03:45PM
<HTML>Jim,
The vehicle manufacturers want the chemicals that they have labeled for more than one may think.

These chemicals have been through their labs, tested by their engineering groups to prove that they do not harm the surfaces they are used on and that they are "safe for the user" of them(IE, free of toxins and carcenigenic components).

You named three of the companies, out of the 9 around the world, that we make products for, by the way.

How many "chemical suppliers" do most know of, that required to have their products tested and approved/passed by the vehicle manufacturers?

Just because a "dealer" may say that some chemical is their choice does not make it safe or approved by their OEM.

Another concern is that companies will attempt to use approvals that are years old, no longer approved, but will gloss over that fact in trying to get a person to buy them.

An example of this was this week, when Mazda, Hyundai and Ford all contacted us to inform us they are updating their older TSB's regarding our products, to reflect the new models on the market.

The products haven't changed, but these OEM's have found that dealers are using the lack of current models listed in the old TSB's as an excuse to use un-approved products and processes.

This has created a jump in warranty costs for these companies, as the dealers are screwing up paint, trim, etc, plus lowering their CSI numbers.

I know that the Ford site is lacking, but Jim, I have been working with them on it for over 4 years and everytime we get things ready to go, the "bean counters" cut the budget and things get put on the back burner.

No money, no updates, no improvements.

Another example is Mazda. Last summer,. Japan told the US to update a manual which I was a part of, regarding paint, concerns, etc in 1994.

Mazda US, requested AI and PPG to aid them in putting it together, ASAP, even to the point that they were willing to pay all travel expenses, etc in order to get it done in a timely manner.

Then the M6 "sash/rust" concern, and fuel tank concern popped up and the new manual was held off.

Just recently we were contacted about getting it back on track and all that goes with it.

Now, both Dave and Keith at PPG and I have pretty full schedules for the next 4 months and are struggling to find time to fulfill their request, after all, we have other OEM customers who are just as important to the over all health of our businesses.

It's a never ending quest these days, to find the time, funding and manpower to handle all the changes going on.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
June 05, 2004 06:34PM
<HTML>Loaner vehicles, shuttle programs, trained and certified employees, access to information about OEM paint finishes, and the correct procedure for engine cleaning have very little to do with true customer service.

These things are not what true customer service is about. Of course, many detailing business owners have been fooled into thinking that if you provide these things, along with all of the other technical aspects of operating a detailing business, then customers will certainly beat down a path to your door. How wrong they are. Unless a detailing business offers true customer service that goes well beyond just making an appearance, they will be destined to fail.

True customer service has everything to do with how you actually relate to your customers. Are you friendly? Do you smile? Are you truely interested in your customers? Do you honestly enjoy the time you spend being around your customers? or do you consider your customers just another interuption in your daily routine?

Look around. Ever wonder why some businesses succeed while others fail? You could have the best training, use the best products, offer the best service, have the most convenient hours, however without a thorough understanding what true customer service is all about, your busness will be nowhere.</HTML>

June 05, 2004 08:11PM
<HTML>Respectfully disagree with you there Frank, I believe they have a lot to do with customer service.

If you were to damage a hybrid engine during cleaning, or damage a paint film through lack of knowledge , then how is that providing customer service?

If your customer calls you and says "I want my car detailed but I use it for work Monday through Friday , and you cant clean it in my parking lot because of zoning laws, do you have a vehicle I could borrow "? How would you meet that customers needs ?

Here is one definition of customer service ..

"Activities and programs provided by the seller to make the relationship a satisfying one for the customer. "

The dealers have all the programs in place , and thanks to increasing pressure from the OEM's with the use of CSI, they are cleaning up their activities fast. Fords Blue Oval program is another program where the dealer is rewarded by the OEM for increasing customer satisfaction, Saturn are reguarly rated by J.D Powers for their high levels of customer service. The things they get rated on are things like the attitude of the service staff, accurate and honest billing, knowlegable service and sales staff, conveinent locations and programs (such as loaner vehicles and shuttles ) as well as the appearance of the dealership. These are the customers rating the dealerships, not the OEM's.

Jim.</HTML>
June 05, 2004 08:36PM
<HTML>And I thought "Detailing" was a service...,
If it is not a service..., what is it?
It is not a product???

When you get your new car's "check-up", that is a service...

IMO, SERVICE covers a LOT of different areas as Jim helped to explainsmiling smiley

Heck.., I eat out a lot and even the waitress provides a service.
If the service is not good, it is a long time before I go back...,
Sometimes the service can be more important than the product...,
Such as McDonalds..., the food is not good nor good for you..., but we go there on occasion because the service is fast and you know what to expect..., consistant is the key to some businesses...

This subject can be discussed for years and not cover every aspect...,
But at least we are heading, for the most part, in the right directionsmiling smiley</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
June 05, 2004 08:58PM
<HTML>No one will ever be able to convince me that I have to worry about dealerships hurting my one man operation. I can provide a loaner vehicle if needed. I can pick up the vehicle, detail it, and drop it back off with the customer. For all you detailers who want to be considered a large operation, maybe you have something to worry about. Us little one or two man operations can't be touched by the big boys. I can provide service that the big guys can't touch, just as Frank stated. As for hybrid engines, I don't do engines anyway. I've never lost a customer because I don't do engines. I stay busy because I love what I do and my customers love me. When I started my landscape company 18 years ago everyone was saying the same thing. The big boys are going to clobber all us little guys. Guess what. They couldn't and never could. Some of you worry about things that just aren't worth worrying about IMO.</HTML>
June 06, 2004 10:20AM
<HTML>True customer service is about the relationship you have with your customers.

It is not about attitude, billing, knowlegable staff, conveinent locations, programs, loaner vehicles, shuttles and appearance. These are all things that most customers already expect from a business.

True customer service is about being human. Caring about your customers. Doing whatever it takes in order to grow and build up your relationship with your customers. It is about providing a human experience that your customers just cannot get anywhere else. It is about being totally focused on your customers.</HTML>

August 16, 2005 01:11PM
<HTML>Mobile detailing!! I would loose 90% of my clients if I wernt mobile.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
August 16, 2005 09:24PM
<HTML>From a planning perspective, major markets are more prone to see changes in auto dealer detailing simply due to the sheer numbers. They have the benefit of deep pockets when rolling out a consumer program... and can justify investing time and money in upgrading their facilities to provide convenience for their clientele. A good detail program will be a very effective feeder system for repeat car sales and customer retention.

The Express format will likely take on an increasingly more deliberate role with a wider array of rapid-delivery services... because consumer research targets convenience as the number one priority for automtive aftermarket services on a continuous basis.

Convenience means many things, so gaining a greater understanding of your customer's needs is key to addressing his or her needs (wants). If done properly, pricing takes the level of convenience into consideration... because convenience equals value in many consumer minds. Essentially, the more you offer, the more it might be worth. It's not just WHAT you do.. but also HOW you do it.

Another important area of service is "the emotional connection". In a world where interpersonal relationships between service providers and their clientele has been desensitized by increasingly impersonal voice mail and email communiques, the face-to-face interaction and individual engagement in discussions will still be the essence that tips the scales. People prefer to deal with... other people they like. Nice guys win in this arena.

People buy with emotion, not logic. Consumers seek to hook up with a service provider that offers a "warm & fuzzy" feeling on confidence, whether gained by knowledge or simply style. An overwhelming majority of consumers of automotive appearance-care services are female, so those detailers who focus on gaining trust by providing effective communication with clear explanation to their clientele, and are willing to take the time to listen (I mean REALLY listen) to their concerns... will see the greatest growth, both by direct contact AND powerful networking.

Women are the key in many markets, so it might be wise to readjust your sights if you've overlooked them in the past. Our research strongly suggests that the female consumer offers your greatest potential area for growth. By and large, they are VALUE-ORIENTED, not price driven.

Just a few well-intentioned thoughts...
-Steve</HTML>
August 17, 2005 03:56AM
<HTML>i'm in a very small market so maybe there is some validity to the concept that larger markets are more suseptible to inroads by dealers into the detailing biz...........most of my customers that work in the downtown area.......as i am located right downtown........will bring their auto's to me and pick them up after work and although i offer to shuttle them.......they would rather walk..........and the majority of them will hang around and chat about anything but mostly about something related to thier cars or the service that is provided..........customer service is not only doing the best you can at detailing the vehicle.......in my opinion it has a great deal to do with just how well treated they are and how you develop a relationship with them..........a lot of them seem to really enjoy the one on one time just shootin the breeze.........great topics and ideas.......love it</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login