Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

black marks on leather and plastic

Posted by S. Graff 
black marks on leather and plastic
June 09, 2004 01:14AM
<HTML>hi.
i just finished the interior on a '02 jetta 1.8t. the leather and plastic had black marks on them, almost like scuff marks from shoes. however, some of these marks were not where a shoe would normally encounter the surfaces.

the car is well maintained and it is an older, childless couple.

i cleaned the leather seats with a standard leather clean/conditioning product but the amount of elbow grease used was phenomenal and some marks only faded and didn't dissapear.

same fate for the marks on the plastic. i used a standard auto plastic cleaner but had to go to a goo-be-gone type prod. and again, use extereme elbow grease.

anyone have any idea what would cause these marks and what would remove them...especially on the leather (without removing the glaze). i don't think i would have had any more luck with murphy's.
thanks!!!</HTML>
Re: black marks on leather and plastic
June 09, 2004 01:39AM
<HTML>Malco make a great leather and plastic cleaner , they also make a product called Annihilator which is good for removing stains and marks. . As long as you follow the instructions very carefully it is a safe to use product . If the marks are ink, then there are pens you can buy that will safely remove ink from leather. You can read more information at malcopro.com.

Jim.</HTML>
June 09, 2004 02:13AM
<HTML>Be very careful about using any solvent; thinner type product on the leather as this is literally "paint" and you will take it off. I can testify to that from inexperience a few years back.

On the plastic step guards you can take some tar & grease remover and a small piece of "000" steel wool and rub ever so lightly over the mark and it should come off with no damage to the plastic. Do not rub at all hard or you will scratch the plastic. Works for me everytime.

With leather you have a problem and I do not know what you can do other than contact SEM Products hotline and ask them what is safe to use on their leather dye (paint) to get off black marks.

They are the leader in coatings for vinyl/leather and plastic. They should know.

bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
June 10, 2004 04:32AM
<HTML>I totally agree with Bud on this one. I used some Detail Plus tar & grease remover on a Lexus mat that I did yesterday. It was lt. grey & had a big clot of caked on shop grease in it. About 3-4" in diameter. I applied some of the cleaner, let it dwell a few minutes & used a detail brush to work it out of the fibers & it worked right out. I then used the same brush for some scuff marks on the running boards & they came right out.

DP's stain removal kit is awesome!!! I've used it to remove numerous stains and they've been effective every time.</HTML>

Shine On!

Rod Wesley
Touch Up 'N' Go!
Auto &amp; Marine Appearance Center
We take your car from Rough to Buff!
Visit our website at: www.touchupngo.com
June 10, 2004 05:40AM
<HTML>Believe it or not, I found Soft Scrub (non chlorinated) or any abraisive compound to do scuff mark removals with excellent results on plastic.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login