Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

corvette;rubbing compound?

Posted by mark hoffmann 
corvette;rubbing compound?
June 09, 2004 02:28AM
<HTML>Can anyone suggest a product that can cover up spider webbing. My corvette is black in color and rubbing or polishing compound really don't seem to work very good. Any help would be much appreciated.</HTML>
Re: corvette;rubbing compound?
June 09, 2004 02:36AM
<HTML>Mark, I am having problems with my e-mail , not all of them are getting through, were you in town this weekend ? I have some samples for you .

Jim.</HTML>
June 09, 2004 02:12PM
<HTML>Jim--There are now two Mark Hoffman's on this forum. It looks as if the new Mark Hoffmann has two n's in his last name, mine only has one.

To answer your question; I was in town but no problem, I can make arrangements to stop in some other time. Is your email up and working?</HTML>

Thanks
Mark
June 10, 2004 01:34AM
<HTML>Questions, questions, diagnois, diagnois, so here are my questions for you with the vehicle with the concern.

How old is the Vette, has it been repainted, is the "spider webbing" deep or perhaps just in the "waxes/polishes" you have been using?

Give all of us some more information so we can perhaps provide some help.

Grumpy</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
<HTML>Grump, You are Right Dead On, as most of us seem not to tell, or give all of the particulars, when asking answers from the pro's on this Forum.. But thanks to all for the info that we receive, we just need to give all of the scenenios/info. I've even looked over the check off list, that I got from your sight, before asking some of my questions Grumpy!!!!!.............Brandy!</HTML>
June 10, 2004 07:44PM
<HTML>Mark,

From what I saw on a Corvette I did long ago, the stress marks in the fiberglass cause micro-cracking in the paint that resembled spider webbing.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
June 11, 2004 01:44AM
<HTML>Brian, you are pretty much on the money.

However, consider this, please.

A "fiber glas" substrate, which is not really what for the more modern Vette's, is not as solid as steel, therefore it is more prone to swelling and contracting when subjected to heat and cold.

This creates quite an issue for the paint film build, from the primers, up to the clear.

It can not tolerate these changes in the expansion and contraction rates as much as the substrate.

Today's Vette's use a "composite" substrate, which is more tolerate of these expansion and contraction concerns.

Which is why, as us old farts are aware, the paint film, if applied without overbuild of the film, do not exhibit "cracking", like the older Vette's.

That is why I requested more information regarding the age and possibility of the vehicle being refinished during it's life cycle.

Ketch</HTML>

June 11, 2004 02:48AM
<HTML>Get response Ketch.

On another forum a "pro" detailer posted a question- "I have a black detail to do on a black - bla bla bla, what should I use?"

He got about 20 replies the gave him a list of products to use. Most list had no less than 5 to 6 different brands of products.

My question was what condition the paint is in now, what are you trying to achieve, how much are you getting paid and so on.

You got to start at the beginning and the beginning is DIAGNOISIS!!! <I hope I spelled that right></HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
June 11, 2004 03:11AM
<HTML>Thank you, Joe.

That is the basis of our training school, not to sell products, since our main customers are not the backbone of car care, but the OEM"s and therefore we structured our classes the same as Ford, GM, DCX, etc do.

Really quite simple, as you know.

If you are offered factual and documented educational information, that provides knowledge, which then allows one to diagnois the concern they are presented with.

From that education, the knowledge, the correct diagnois, you may then perscribe what is the correct procedure, and then do the procedure in a correct process.

Really quite simple, lots of great products, proven and OEM accepted and approved to use, rather than some "bath-tubber" stuff, all good products will do the job.

Learning, going to school, should not be about some companies "products" only, but real valid , documented information that relates to what one is attempting to learn.

If all one wants to know is about a "product line", let em read the ads or catalog.

It is only if one follows the proven path to success, that which is the same as attorney's, doctors, accoutants, and mechanical technicans follow in their quest for education and knowledge, facts, valid and ethical in a learning enviorment.

That is how we learn to accept the path to success, the same as other "professionals".

Education
Knowlege gained from education
Procedure
Process

And one or more things, (as I continue my rant for the evening) none of us know it all, and the world keeps changing, new paint technology, new interior trim materials, new exterior trim materials, new technology under the hood, etc.

What the local jobber rep on the truck may tell you as truth, can often be 10 years old and no longer valid.

The last thing one should always keep in mind, none of us know it all, so continuing "education" is the key to knowledge, procedure and process.

Thanks, Joe, you set me up to share a very important philosophy with the others on this forum, one that I had not planned on.

However, Joe, I feel it is important for those who are truely dedicated to this industry to move beyound the "hacker/bucket brigade" mentality.

This "old fart" will now shut his pie hole.

Ketch</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login