Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

HOME REMEDIES

Posted by Bud Abraham 
HOME REMEDIES
June 11, 2004 04:57AM
<HTML>Thought I would pass on some "home remedies" for your detail basket of knowledge.

Try them if you like, I cannot say if they will work for you or not, although those who told me about them say they do work:

1. Pour a cup of OxyClean into your extractor and you will get exceptionally bright and clean carpets, especially after they dry.

2. THIS IS A GREAT ONE --- How to get water spots off of windows

a. Spray with Windex, only Windex that is the only one that seems
to work.

b. Then rub the glass with a rag and "white" Colgate toothpaste.

Is said to remove even the toughest water spots.

Let me know if these work for you.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Re: HOME REMEDIES
June 11, 2004 06:19AM
<HTML>I could see Colgate getting water spots off just because of the abrasiveness in the toothpaste -- I think I'll stick with my compound for the tough spots.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
June 11, 2004 11:51AM
<HTML>Brian:

There would be no comparison between the abrasives in "your compound" and those in Colgate toothpaste.

Compound on a auto glass can be much too aggressive.

And, one should never reach conclusions without proof.

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
June 11, 2004 01:14PM
<HTML>It's interesting. Just yesterday while I was detailing a customers vehicle, the neighbor came over to see my work and we started talking about some of the products and supplies that I use during the detailing process. I showed him some of the products that I use and many of the various detailing brushes, such as the fine pastry brushes for cleaning those a/c vents. I mentioned that I always have a couple of toothbrushes on hand too, as they're very good tools for cleaning hard to get at areas; like the cracks and crevices of the center console. One of the things I mentioned to him was how toothpaste can be used as a mild type of polish and how it could easily be used for small home polishing jobs. He smiled and said, you know I never thought of using it for that.

ps- Whenever a neighbor or someone walking past either waves or says hello, (while I am detailing a customers vehicle) I always motion to them to come on over. Nine out of ten times they do and we always start talking about what's involved in cleaning, polishing and waxing a vehicle. It's a good way to take a break and share some valuable knowledge and find out about some good home remedies.</HTML>

June 11, 2004 05:37PM
<HTML>It's clearcoat compound and removes water spots in seconds -- been doing it for years with no trouble and never a scratch.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

June 11, 2004 06:58PM
<HTML>Brian:

Your choice of the term "clear-coat compound" is somewhat confusing.

Why?

All compounds today are for clear-coats whether 600; 800; 1200; 2000 or Micro Fine grit. The girt size depends on what you are attemtpting to do to the paint.

However, a clear-coat 600; 800 or 1200 or even a 2000 grit compound would be far too aggressive on a windshield, I would suspect.

I have used a swirl remover/polish on windshield's with some success in removing water spots.

Not attempting to "call you out" at all. But I think for the new detailers on the forum it is critical they clearly understand what is said. Many times experienced detailers, like you, say things they understand clearly, but a "newbee" may not.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
June 12, 2004 12:08AM
<HTML>My apologies to the newbee for not specifically stating what clearcoat compound I use. As a professional detailer, and like Bud said an experienced one, I use Auto Magic's XP Compound on glass to remove waterspots. And I've never had a scratch or blemish when removing the water spot. After that, I follow up with Invisible Glass and wipe clear.

Now, how to get salt water spots off a boats winshield or glass -- just go to the marine shop and order a new one.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

June 12, 2004 01:22AM
<HTML>Toothepast is great for waterspots on glass ,had a retired army sergeant work for me a year ..he was 53 and he turned me on to the colgate and glass...for acid rain ....cheap too!Coffee grinds denture cleaners...Kotex..Brasso...apple juice.. sunflower seed..aloe vera and glycerin...triethanolaime hundreds of home remedies for detailing if you do your home work!</HTML>
June 12, 2004 05:22AM
<HTML>To clarify even further, for possible newbies....the toothpaste spoken of here is not the new fangled multi-colored, sparkling glitter stuff that tastes like bubble gum but rather the good ol fashioned "white" paste, not the gel.

Years ago I used to use Colgate, Crest or some other one which I now forget the name, but when I built models, car and aircraft kits, I would polish out scratches in the plastic windshields and canopies with the toothpaste then go over them with Pledge.

I love the home remedies, especially for cleaning. I have used lemon juice and cornstarch on chrome or just pure lemon juice on clean chrome to give it a nice shine. Just slice a lemon and rub it across the chrome, wipe dry and swat away the bees!

Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
June 12, 2004 06:28AM
<HTML>Wow, am I the only one who has never heard of using toothpaste on water spots?

Good one Anthony! I was gonna be a smart ass and ask if the Scooby Doo Bubble Gum flavored gel would work, haha.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

June 12, 2004 12:38PM
<HTML>Eye glasses(plastic these days for the most part) are polished with cerium oxide to remove the grinding marks, etc.

It is also used, in a paste for regular glass, with sewn felt pad.

The grade of the cerium for eye glasses is "opitical grade" and very expensive. There are a few other grades, but usually referred to as "industrial grade".

Our Cerious Compound/Polish has the industrial grade in it for the main abrasive, no crystiline, etc.

This is the one we made at the request of PPG for the Nano clears.

Works great on auto glass and most boat windshields, etc.

The amount of abrading is actually controled by the pad and speed which is why it may be used as a both a compound and a polish.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
June 12, 2004 10:45PM
<HTML>Good one Anthony..I forgot coke for the chrome...I guess works on same principle of the acid in the product...Brian and Scooby Doo ha ha ha</HTML>
MORE HOME REMEDIES
June 12, 2004 11:21PM
<HTML>Just thought of a few more "home remedies" you might like to try:

1. Use a can of EZ-OFF oven cleaner to remove paint from a vehicle.

2. Use automatic tranny fluid on black trim.

Again, try them if you like.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Re: MORE HOME REMEDIES
June 12, 2004 11:50PM
<HTML>Brian,

When making a post you should always...,
1- Name the brand

2- Name the product

3- Give the formula of the product

4- List the MSDS of the product

5- Completely explain in great detail how you use the product

6- Explain why you use said product

7- Define the words you use so all can understand

8- Use analogies, comparisions and descriptions when possible

9- Do not mention your use of methods everyone else is not using(chance of being "called out".

10- Do not ask questions(according to some, that is "what is wrong with this industry)

LOL!! j/k- parody of.... smiling smiley</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
June 13, 2004 12:59AM
<HTML>Be a little hesitant on the EZ Off oven cleaner. I used that on my Mustang to remove the pinstriping (was painted on) and it dripped onto the paint and left dark run stains. Wouldn't come off with anything.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

June 14, 2004 02:36PM
<HTML>Good post on the new nano technology that has become the "buzz" word in a lot of industries.

A Nanometer is a billionth of a meter.

For those who want to really be informed on this new technology I suggest you read "NANOTECHNOLOGY---A gentle introduction to the Next Big Ida by Mark Ratner."

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
June 15, 2004 04:46PM
<HTML>bud I posted that earlier about the oxyclean, I was on a power wash job and I was talking to the carpet cleaners who were doing the neighbors carpet and he said a cup of oxyclean was the secret ingrediant. He also said if you should run out of carpet cleaner use liquid "tide" and that should also do the trick.</HTML>

PRECISION POWER WASHING &amp; AUTO DETAILING
June 16, 2004 02:46PM
<HTML>fabric softener pad on bumpers etc to remove bugs/tar.</HTML>
June 16, 2004 05:14PM
<HTML>We keep all these unusual remedies in a cupboard at the end of the factory along with other more unusual products.

...so anyway, we had a couple of new guys starting a few weeks back, and as mentioned by others on another thread, we never hire anybody who has previous experience. So these guys were amazed what you can do with toothpaste and Coca-Cola.
And then one of them says, "What do you use the Hienz Saladcream and Tomato Ketchup for?".
Well of course, it's for our lunch! but as quick as a shot Ryan says "Salad cream restores dull and faded paintwork, it returns all the natural oils. And Ketchup contain acids which are good on Chrome".

"really?" they said.

So later Ryan goes up to this lad Sean and says "That wax just isn't cutting it on that car... time to call out the big guns, use the Salad Cream!"

I don't have to tell you that we were near enough wetting ourselfs watching this poor lad cleaning a whole car with a table condiment!

We have another new guy doing is second day tomorrow and we are going to try it on again. I'll try and get some photos.</HTML>
June 16, 2004 06:53PM
<HTML>good to pull a joke at the expense of someone elses car...not the smartest thing to do but as long as you don't damage it i guess its funny smiling smiley</HTML>
June 28, 2004 02:28AM
<HTML>Ammonia and water to clean carpets and cloth upholstry. Murphys oil soap to clean leather and vinyl . WD40 for dressing wheel wells. GOJO hand cleaner without pumice for tire dressing. Woolite 1 part, water 6 parts ,all purpose interior cleaner. Their are others but I cant think of them right now.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login