Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What customers care about

Posted by Jim Hammill 
What customers care about
June 23, 2004 12:24AM
<HTML>Reading a magazine today and there was a review of a book called "The Relationship Edge in Business, Connecting with customers when it counts".

Here are some quotes from one of the authors that I felt was worth repeating.

"Far too much emphasis in business is based on short-term results. When you focus on success alone, you have much less success than if you are to focus on the big picture. Most people don't really estimate the long term value of a customer; they look at it from the short-term result perspective. What they need to do is take a more long-term perspective and understand that the less you care about the sale, the more you will sell. What you care about is whether your product or service is the right fit for the customer. The problem is that most customers don't know what kind of product they're looking for- it's up to the company to help them"

"If you're going to create a relationship with a client, it's going to be based on the fact that you care more about them than any other given person does. Caring is never a technology. It's not a technological exercise, it's a people excerise"

From CRM Monthly.

Jim.</HTML>
Re: What customers care about
June 23, 2004 02:23AM
<HTML>Very good, Jim!

I was fortunate enough to be in a Zone Meeting of Chrysler back in 89, when Iaccoa did a live broadcast to all the parts and service reps around the country.

To this day, I carry the idea, the concept that he put forth in that broadcast.

Not his exact words, but close enough, so here goes.

"We spend $1200.00 per buyer to get a customer to buy our vehicles and then we turn down a $100 warranty repair because the vehicle is 5 days out of warranty and lose 90% of those customers to another brand the next time they purchase a new vehicle!

Over a $100 claim, that was most likely our fault, but we turn them down and lose a customer!

We will not do that any longer, we will service our customers, take care of our customers and that will create a brand loyality that will sell more vehicles and create a happy customer base."

Of course, none of us wish or want to deal with the 10% of those customers who don't care about quality or service, just want a cheap price and have no understanding of what quality is about, just price.

Perhaps, if we in this industry stopped chasing the cheap and focused on quality customers, providing quality workmanship, things may, hell, they will change.

Not next week, not next month, but looking at the big picture, banding together, doing what is right, in time, will in it's self, make the changes needed.

Ketch

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
June 23, 2004 02:30AM
<HTML>Ever read his auto biography ?

I've read that book over and over again, not just for the personal stuff like how he dealt with Henry , but also a great read for anyone who wants to take a look inside how the motor industry works. Good stuff. He threw the book at some Chrysler people once just after he started there, becuase they wouldnt drop the price low enough for the rental companies to buy Chryslers. Cant remember the exact quote but it was something along the lines of "why the hell are'nt we selling cars to these people, where the hell else could we get 2000 people test driving our cars for 24 hours and still get paid for it"

Jim.</HTML>
June 23, 2004 02:45AM
<HTML>Yeah, I read it and re-read it and re-read it!

The hard cover I bought years and years ago is setting behind me on the book shelf as I type this.

He was not as nice as was presented to the public, but being one who has spent a lot of years in Detroit, and a huge amount of "drinks and dinner" with VP's, Group Managers, etc, know one thing, no matter what, he changed the way the Big 3 dealt with their dealers and customers, and to the betterment of all.

I would have loved to have gotten drunker than owl @!#$ with him and heard his stories, his thoughts.

Hell, I would have even paid the bar bill.

Ketch</HTML>

June 23, 2004 03:00AM
<HTML>Your right there, I think everyone should read this book , I picked it up for about a buck at a used book store about 10 years ago ! One of the best investments I ever made.

I think he was one of the few people to tell Henry to go fu** himself too. Maybe the only one.

I heard that he was involved in soem way with the Chrysler/Daimler merger/takeover , and that they now have a gag order on him preventing him from discussing it in public ?

Jim.</HTML>
June 23, 2004 03:14AM
<HTML>He got all re-involved with (sp) Kerokeian, the guy that owns MGM, etc and had a large stock share of the old Chrysler and contested the "merger", (read sell-out-take over) by Daimler of Chrysler.

That lawsuit is now in another round, appeals, etc so he has to keep his mouth shut, plus is getting up there in years, (and boy do I know how that feels) so is trying to keep his ego and drive under control so he can live out his years.

He was the one, the only one who would take on Henry II, who was as much an ego maniac as Lee, so they did have their moments.

Ketch</HTML>

Re: What MY customers care about
June 23, 2004 06:45AM
<HTML>WHAT do my customers (my target market) care MOST about getting in a detailing service in this RUAL area of central Illinois?

VALUE.

The best VALUE for THEIR money ! ......they DO CARE about PRICE here !
....Most of my customers drive average priced newer vehicles in good condition to begin with SO they just NEED that condition maintained,because they either can't OR don't want to do it themselves.

I offer them both.... QUALITY work & BETTER service/convienence....I make it as simple as possible for them ,as easy ordering a pizza..... ALL at a LOWER price than they paid before at the last place they went to.What more can they ask for ? Once I get them INTERSTED to try ME instead of the OTHERS,I always do a great job EVERYTIME(not just the first time) then I CONTINUE to treat them like GOLD....everytime they come back...like FAMILY.Once they try ME, they TRUST me & will never SETTLE for less again.

A LIFETIME customer is THE most valuable asset to my bussiness,in my opinion.

This is the bread & butter of my business,the type of customers who continue to pay MY bills & put food on my family's table,month after month,year after year....AND I don't FORGET that !

.</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
ColesCountyAutoDetailing.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login