Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How effiecent is your production cell ?

Posted by C.M.Gaines 
How effiecent is your production cell ?
June 24, 2004 08:02AM
<HTML>How effiecent is the area you detail vehicels in(indoor OR outdoor) ?

How does that CONTROL effect the amount of time it takes to complete the job or quality of work ?

How does it effect the performance/amount/type of the chemicals you use ?

How does that effect your (net) profits ?

Are YOU in TOTAL control the following working conditions in your production cell ?

Weather conditions(rain/wind/sun)
Air temp. (hot or cold)
Air conditioning(for high humidity)
Air flow(wind/ventilation/direction)
Air content(dust/debris/chemical fumes)
Enviroment(organization/cleanliness/appearance)

Light(amt./brightness/direction/glare)
Sound(noise level from equipt.)
Ergonomics(effiecent design of equipt./working area)

I continue to always refine & MAINTAIN my CONTROL over the working conditions I operate in, to produce maxium effiectency,and reduce the overall labor & chemical useage needed to increase (net) profits.

My prodution cell set up has evolved through RESERCH & EXPERIENCE in the feild over the years,as I continue to discover better ideas & ways of doing it.Every vehicle I do, I try to reduce the waste of labor & chemicals needed to do a QUALITY job faster with less waste to increase profits.

Since starting out in my early days of detailing operating under the shade tree....TO a big enough shop to do a greyhound bus inside....then now back to a single car AIR CONDITIONED home/garage location.The key to being profitable is to maintain a EFFIECENT use of space & labor & chemicals & tools.

My production cell & process is small, simple & QUICK........ and VERY effiecent NOW & all I need to produce the quality product that my customers want & demand AND because of that constant refinement & research , i'm now able to offer a LOWER price & better QUALITY than my competitors can or is willing to compete with,in return that give ME the advantage over MY competition.

This has reduced IN HALF my labor time & chemical usage SINCE first starting out in this business.

In return my profits have increased BY HALF (50%) by just becoming MORE effiecent in my process & production cell area.

LESS=MORE

.</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
ColesCountyAutoDetailing.com
Re: How effiecent is your production cell ?
June 25, 2004 02:40AM
<HTML>I was curious if anybody here has an opinion about this topic ?</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
June 25, 2004 03:05AM
<HTML>When we start the "hands on"part of the PrepExcellence School, when we did the Master Prep training for all the Chrysler dealers in Canada, when we do a special training session at the Ford Learning Center in Dearborn for new FCSD hires, we stress the importance of "process-procedure" as a way to quality and labor saving, with a consistant quality result.

It is not a new concept, just one that is seldom really addressed or practiced in the independant detailer community.

Wether a detailer is a one man shop or a 3-10-50 person shop, wether it is a fixed operation or a mobile operation, it boils down to doing the right process, in the same procedure, each time, every time.

Save labor costs, save material costs, saves pulling your friggen hair out, produces a consistant and quality product for the customer.

ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
June 25, 2004 03:58AM
<HTML>Thanks for your feedback KETCH.....MY point ALSO was that having a DETAILING production area that has everthing designed/centrally LOCATED close by to allow a detailer to reach it quickly with out taking a bunch of extra steps walking around the shop to locate the chemicals/tools needed to to a quality job QUICKLY....

.....The quicker the better(for the bottom line)...every motion the detail tech. makes should be in a series of steps/actions that is part of an overall process/procedure that is developed to produce a QUALITY PRODUCT.....quickly,without ANY waste.

.....the quicker you can complete the job...the more you profit from it.Some detailers that take ALOT of time to do detail work are WASTING TIME walking back & forth across the shop several times & "Wondering around" to get chemicals/tools and not using the SAME process/procedure EVERYTIME ......once you get a system that produces a quality job QUICKLY,stick with that system everytime you do that job.

ALSO.....I think it's important during the VERY humid days of summer that you need TO Air Condition the detailing area to REMOVE THE HUMIDITY,so that chemicals work properly as intended by the producers.

The more you can control your enviroment that you detail in, the MORE profitable your business will become,either control it,OR it will CONTROL you and your PROCESS/PROCEDURE you use.</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
June 25, 2004 03:58AM
<HTML>Thanks for your feedback KETCH.....MY point ALSO was that having a DETAILING production area that has everthing designed/centrally LOCATED close by to allow a detailer to reach it quickly with out taking a bunch of extra steps walking around the shop to locate the chemicals/tools needed to to a quality job QUICKLY....

.....The quicker the better(for the bottom line)...every motion the detail tech. makes should be in a series of steps/actions that is part of an overall process/procedure that is developed to produce a QUALITY PRODUCT.....quickly,without ANY waste.

.....the quicker you can complete the job...the more you profit from it.Some detailers that take ALOT of time to do detail work are WASTING TIME walking back & forth across the shop several times & "Wondering around" to get chemicals/tools and not using the SAME process/procedure EVERYTIME ......once you get a system that produces a quality job QUICKLY,stick with that system everytime you do that job.

ALSO.....I think it's important during the VERY humid days of summer that you need TO Air Condition the detailing area to REMOVE THE HUMIDITY,so that chemicals work properly as intended by the producers.

The more you can control your enviroment that you detail in, the MORE profitable your business will become,either control it,OR it will CONTROL you and your PROCESS/PROCEDURE you use.</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
June 25, 2004 04:35AM
<HTML>Weather conditions(rain/wind/sun)
Air temp. (hot or cold)
Air flow(wind/ventilation/direction)
Air content(dust/debris/chemical fumes)

Yes I control these with a snap of my finger.

Your truly,
GOD</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
June 25, 2004 05:01AM
<HTML>I was just waiting for a mobile detailer to respond to this topic.I know it's tough to hear this type of topic !

Your correct I am GOD(of my detailing area)

......and totally control MY enviroment,IT dose'nt CONTROL ME.I don't do it with a snap of my fingers....but JUST make simple adjustments as needed... IF it HUMID or it rains or it's windy(blowing dust or water all over the freshly cleaned/dry vehicle if your mobile) or snowing/cold or whatever the case may be,outside conditions don't effect IF I can operate my business..... I JUST pull the vehicle INSIDE my my climate controlled garage and simply adjust my AIR CONDITIONING or heater or ventalation/fans or the lighting brightness/direction that changes the enviroment QUICKLY as needed to adjust to the conditions needed to do the job in the CORRECT conditions.

THATS the down side of MOBILE DETAILING,its seasonal in some areas and your at the mercy of mother nature.....DEPENDING on proper weather conditions to operate your biz. Your not in CONTROL,God is !</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
Does anybody else have an opinion on this topic ?
June 25, 2004 05:16AM
<HTML>Please share it with others here.

WHAT DO YOU THINK about this topic ?

Can it increase your profits ?

.</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
Re: Does anybody else have an opinion on this topic ?
June 25, 2004 01:26PM
<HTML>Hey Chris, put some photos of your shop on the forum like Brian and joe does of what they are doing................Brandy !</HTML>
June 26, 2004 05:15AM
<HTML>Brandy....I don't have a digital camera yet.BUT....I'm interested in seeing your shop or anybody elses shop here or mobile detailing area, here as well.Please(if you can) post a pic of your detailing production area(cell),I'd like to see how others set up there shop.

.</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
June 27, 2004 01:46PM
<HTML>We have 6 outdoor production cells under a canopy for express and full service detailing. Each cell has two central vacuum drops, 2 air pressure guns, spray wax guns, and detail carts with towels, cleaners, supplies. Our two full-service detailing bays have air-powered orbital buffers, a Ninja carpet extractor, and a high speed buffer. We can process cars very efficiently with two-person teams. The whole system is designed for maximum efficiency.</HTML>
June 28, 2004 04:57AM
<HTML>Sounds like a nice set-up !

You said "6 outdoor production cells...under a canopy".How do you control the weather conditions(rain/wind/cold).OR do you just operate as weather conditions permit you to ?</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
June 28, 2004 06:23PM
<HTML>Chris, when I get further toward finishing the shop I'll get my wifes Digital Camera an take a couple of shots for the Forum Guys to cretique. I'm working only about one day at the body shop, and spending full time with a Soap Box Race car that I helped my wife's science class finish, and race and now we have to race it in the World finals in Akron,Ohio. I put a good coat of Bud's Sealant on the car before racing,and the little girl that raced the car,never lost a race. Do you all think that it was the Diamond Plus that did the job??????? And Now it starts................................ :-) Brandy!</HTML>

Thanks Webb Master for getting me back on Line!.....Brandy
Re: Does anybody else have any pics of shop ?
June 28, 2004 08:42PM
<HTML>Is anybody else willing to post pics of there detailing production shop area(indoor or outdoor) and even maybee a pic of themself.....interested to see what everybody looks like & their set-up !

.</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
June 30, 2004 12:32PM
<HTML>The canopy protects us from the rain and sun and the buildings surrounding us give us some protection from the wind. We process cars 7 days a week rain or shine except for major holidays.</HTML>
June 30, 2004 07:18PM
<HTML>Gary....where are you located....is it a seasonal biz or do the cold temps affect your OUTDOOR detailing biz???

Does HIGH WIND blow rain or dust underneath your canopy...onto or inside the cars your detailing or are they protected enough from the buidings around it???

7 days a week.....WOW....no days off....sounds like a recipe for burn-out.Do you do any of the work or have employees do it for you???

How about some pics of your set-up?</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
July 01, 2004 03:06AM
<HTML>Mr. Gaines,

I would be happy to send photos of our Technical Training Center, which was done after Mr. Giffin attended the PrepExcellence School, as have a few others.

However, I am old, very old and have not a clue on how or if possible to attach (that is the right term, right, "attach" a photo to this site)

If you would like to see the work area, send me an email and I will send you some digital photos of the area.

It is not a normal working site, so "drool baby, drool" but a training facility.

However, it has some "unique" things, that when one closely studies the photos, may see some ways to use easy to obtain items that will speed up their processes.

Plus, I will send you photo's of "my corner" of the world, where I have all my personal equipment goodies, tools, welders, etc.

Once again, I warn you ahead of time, have a drool towel handy, if you have not set up your own "play area".

If you have done such, let's have a cocktail and brag about our tools and what deal we got for them, etc.

ketch</HTML>

July 01, 2004 03:13AM
<HTML>Ron,

Would love to see the training facility photos. Maybe it will give me an idea for when I get my dream "detail warehouse/boat yard."</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
July 01, 2004 03:19AM
<HTML>Brian, if not in the morning, I will when I get back from the NC trip.

However, I am old, I forget, "Nancy, where is my horse, is that a red phone ringing?", oh, excuse me, but you may have to remind me.

Grumpy
(aka-ketch)</HTML>

July 01, 2004 03:22AM
<HTML>KETCH....I just sent you a email a few minutes ago.....I would be very interested to see your set-up at your training facility.

I also had the duluxe set-up detailing shop(to drool over) located at my unlcle Jeff's trailer dealership,big enough to do large boats/trailers & motorcoach buses INSIDE.

If interested see it go to www.MattoonTrailerSales.com and click on AUTOSTAR link to see pics of me and the shop area.

.</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login