Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

polymers

Posted by ben smith 
polymers
June 25, 2004 03:48AM
<HTML>
What is the diff between a polyethelene polymer and a amino functional silicone as it relates to protection in a paint sealant?</HTML>
Re: polymers
June 26, 2004 12:44AM
<HTML>Polyethelene is a synthetic polymer wax.

Commonly used in better quality liquid "instant detailers", easy to apply liquid waxes, etc.

A polydimethalsiloxane is of the polymer family, various molecular chains available, some used in water borne dressings, others in various grades of sealants.

The polyaminosiloxane family is the next up grade, more corossion resistant, has an even higher fracture point.

Top of the polymer family used in car care products is of the flurotelamer chain.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
June 26, 2004 01:37AM
<HTML>THATS WHAT I THOUGHT!</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
June 26, 2004 03:44AM
<HTML>And I thought I knew a good amount of info on sealants.

Mr. Wizard to the rescue!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Re: polymers(Ketch)polyethelene?
June 26, 2004 05:49AM
<HTML>Ketch....How long would YOU estimate(on average) that the quick detailer spray wax(polyoethelene) products like the EAGLE brand "wax-as-u-dry" product will provide protection to the clear coat,how long MAX. ?

The lable on EAGLE wax-as-u-dry product states it contains
water-reactive(whats that mean?) polymers....for "lasting protection"...how long will it provide protection in average conditions ?</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
ColesCountyAutoDetailing.com
June 26, 2004 01:11PM
<HTML>Haven't really looked into the product, since it is "consumer" product.

Would have to know a couple of things, like what percentage of the polyethelene in the formula, what solvent system is used, things like that.

We make a product that dealers use for showroom car touch up, spot deliver etc and it lasts aprox 30 to 45 days under normal conditions.

Ketch</HTML>

June 26, 2004 01:26PM
<HTML>When you say-
showroom car touch up, spot deliver etc and it lasts aprox 30 to 45 days under normal conditions.

Does that mean "in a showroom" or will it work "in the weather", such as summer sun, rain, snow, etc...,

Ihave used waxes that did not last more than 3 weeks.

Sounds interesting, If it did last that long, I would like to try itsmiling smiley
(iwhat gives it protection, waxes or synthetics? does it bead? people like the "visual effectsmiling smiley</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
June 26, 2004 01:37PM
<HTML>They use it to remove finger prints, dust etc when the vehicle is on display, or as I stated, when doing a "spot delivery" as it works like a dry wash to remove minor soil and get the vehicle over the curb.

It is as with any protective coating of the surface, the time it holds up in the real enviorment often depends on the temperatures it is exposed to, the kind of washing the vehicle receives, etc.

The one thing that many miss about products, is that even though the surface may not exhibit "beading" or other visable indications of presence, there is some still there, protecting.

The polyethelene products are doing the same as any, acting as a "sacrifical" protective coating, taking the enivorment's beating instead of the actual clearcoat or topcoat.

The lower the fracture point of the base resin, the more the air pollutants will bond to the "fractured/softened" layer of the product.

This condition, which often makes the surface feel slightly rough, is what one is usually removing when the vehicle is clayed.

That same process can also be done much quicker and less expensive with the use of a proper pre-wash type of product.

After all, the technican is going to normally reapply some protective coating anyway, right?

Got to hit the road, tee time in 45 minutes.

Ketch</HTML>

Re: WATER-REACTIVE polymers?(Ketch)
June 27, 2004 05:53AM
<HTML>Ketch...What does WATER-REACTIVE polymers mean ?????

How does a polymer "react" to the water, and affect the chemical process ?

If you spray this type of "water-reactive polymer"product on a wet vehicle,then dry with a terry cloth towel until it shines the surface......as recomended on the lable of this type product...it says you can apply to a wet OR dry vehicle......My question is then.....

Does the water on the surface of the vehicle mix with the polymer & dulute the chemical and affect the length of time its protects the surface ?</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
ColesCountyAutoDetailing.com
Re: WATER-REACTIVE polymers?(Ketch)
June 27, 2004 02:52PM
<HTML>I may have used a poorly chosen term, but it is not the issue.

Water borne PDMS dressings- IE, a percentage of water is in the product, it liquifies the percentage of the thick PDMS resin and carries it to the surface, where the water evaporates and leave the resin on the surface to which it was applied.

Since water is in the product, if there is additonal water on the surface, it will usually result in a more diluted product, when you wipe the surface before the water has evaporated, you are taking a portion of the resin off the surface.

This will usually result in less of a gloss factor.

In our school, we teach that when dressing dashes, in order to reduce glare, but still provide that new dash look, not the greasy getto shine and dangerous finish, to apply our Rubber Protector with a sponge and then, based upon the users personal experience and amount of gloss desired, to wipe it off with a clean dry towel.

Anywhere from 15 seconds up to 2 minutes, this time difference makes the change in amount of gloss left behind, 15 seconds, very little, 2 minutes, considerable, or allow to air dry, with no wipe, high gloss.

That sort of thing.

Ketch</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login