Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

chemicals

Posted by dave rosh 
chemicals
June 25, 2004 10:58PM
<HTML>anyone heard of dave libby or alfer distributing i guess they set you up with chemicals for a small yearly fee and you mix them your self im very interested in this if anyone has info i would love to here from you</HTML>
Re: chemicals
June 26, 2004 03:48AM
<HTML>Dave,

I think I know what your talking about. About 6 years ago a friend of mine gave me a catalog for detailing chemicals that were super cheap. 5 gallons of wheel cleaner was around $20.00. The catch was, they send you a 5 gallon container with only 20% of the product in there -- you have to fill the rest up with water to make 5 gallons of RTU wheel cleaner. I hung up the phone as soon as I heard that. Maybe I laughed first, I don't know.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
June 26, 2004 01:17PM
<HTML>Last I heard Libby was selling the raw materials, formula's that can are the old ones, can be found in any public libary or he would just provide the formulas and you did the compounding/blending.

O-boy won't the local hazmat EPA, OSHA, and other agencies just love catching people with out proper safety equipment, mixing equipment, operating permits, etc and other concerns, have a ball issuing fines on that one.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
June 26, 2004 05:04PM
<HTML>yeah just indorse a check and we think we will fill in the rest</HTML>

PRECISION POWER WASHING &amp; AUTO DETAILING
June 27, 2004 12:59AM
<HTML>Dave Libby is based in Maine and I find him to be a very nice person and very honest. I have never dealt with him professionally, but we communicate quite often about things in general.

He seems to be aware of what is going on in the chemical industry.

As a chemical manufacturer I can understand why Ron Ketcham (Grumpy) would be critical of him, but I would give him a chance to speak for himself.

He has been doing this for a number of years and seems to be doing well with his program.

You can reach him at DALIBBY@aol.com

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
June 27, 2004 01:10AM
<HTML>Brian:

What you are referring to is buying the active ingredients and adding your own water. Nothing wrong with this, that is what chemicals are all about.

Many formulas, for example, that come in a 5 gallon pail are nothing more than 1 gallon of active ingredients and 4 gallons of water.

The move in the automatic carwash business toward super concentrates was to help the operator save on shipping costs; container disposal problems, etc.

There are ways to save money on chemicals and still get a quality product.

As far as what Dave Libby is doing, from my knowledge of his operation, is selling the end user or distributor a series of formulas for chemical products and the sources from where to buy the ingredients and the know how to mix them properly.

Ron is correct, there might be some environmental issues involved in mixing your own chemicals, but if they are not using hazardous ingredients you should be oK.

Not any worse than the majority of you mobile detailers who are dumping waste water on to the ground and/or into the storm sewers.

If you can save some money formulating your own chemicals I say go for it.

Water based chemicals are the easiests. In fact, water based dressings are a snap to make. Problem is being able to buy the silicone emulsions at a reasonable price. You will have to purchase at least a 55 gallon drum into which you might put 70% water so that is a lot of chemical. Maybe Jim Hammill and Brian A can be include this in their buying group program and sell you all dressing at low, low prices.

I have customers who make their own dressings; shampoos and other more simple products.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
June 27, 2004 01:14AM
<HTML>Bud, you said it all, he is doing very well for "himself", however, have you put aside your personal view of him and his ways to consider all the ramifications of a "detailer" becoming in the mixing and blending of corossive cleaners?

Libby has been marketing to large volume carwashes, and as you say, for years.

I don't have any concern with that, but do, with those who are either new to the business(uninformed" or use only a few gallons of any corossive cleaner a month.

If it works, great, but if it does not, "is it worth it" especially, when one "really considers the potential" downside of the total, big picture?

Big difference, one that must be questioned.

Ketch</HTML>

June 27, 2004 04:24AM
<HTML>Ron:

I only know Dave Libby personally and not professionally. So all I can comment on is his character as I know it, as a person.

With regard to his business, I believe that most of the detailers on this forum who are smart enough to start and operate their own businesses are also smart enough to determine if what someone has to offer is legitimate or not.

Some of the comments already made are evidence of that.

However, I think to attack someone when they do not have an opportunity to defend what they do is wrong.

If any detailers are interested in what he has to offer they ought to contact him and discuss that with him. If they do not like it they can decline any business relationship with him and most certainly if they find what he does less than proper they will most certainly let other detailers on this forum know about it.

That is what makes American a great country, the opportunity for all to pursue different business ventures. Dave Libby has his own approach which is certainly in competition with companies like yours but as Stephen Covey states in his book the "Seven Habits......" we should all have "an abundance mentality." That is, that there is enough business for everyone.

Regards
Bud Abraham

buda
June 27, 2004 04:47AM
<HTML>Good point Bud, I didn't realize the logic of water already added -- will save on shipping if not added. But my 5 gallon pails of chemicals still need to be diluted, except the Body Shine "QD."

I never said anything negative about Mr. Libby. Kudos for him being an entrepreneur!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
June 27, 2004 07:33AM
<HTML>Everybody's got one

No matter who you talk to, almost every chemical company has some type of chemical control or dilution system available. Yet from looking in most detail chemical closets, it appears at least 80 percent of all chemicals sold today are delivered in one, five- and 55-gallon containers. Are detailers resistant to buying into such systems? Are they afraid the costs will go up or they may not like it once they switch over? Are detail chemical suppliers aggressively promoting dilution systems? How's the margin on concentrates versus less-diluted products?

It simply doesn't make sense to buy 55 gallons of product in a barrel when you can get the same thing in two-and-a-half liters of concentrate and add your own water.

The same thing has happened on the grocery store shelf. Products are more concentrated and the containers are smaller. Every indication is that the same thing will happen in the commercial market as well. It's only a matter of time. The important question to ask is, will you convert to a dilution system to reduce costs or will your competition beat you to it?

Ann Kaiel is the aftermarket sales manager for Detail Plus Car Appearance Systems in Portland, Ore. She can be e-mailed at ann@detailplus.com.</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
ColesCountyAutoDetailing.com
June 27, 2004 11:51AM
<HTML>"As a chemical manufacturer I can understand why Ron Ketcham (Grumpy) would be critical of him, but I would give him a chance to speak for himself."

You are manufacturing chemicals?</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
June 27, 2004 02:58PM
<HTML>Bud, if a public discussion of one's business practices, offering one's view of them is "attacking them", that is opinion and your right.

I have never met the gentleman, I have only watched, read the way he promoted his "system" on the Carwash forum for a few months.

Additionally, I have received some emails, phone calls etc, from people in the industry, asking me to look at the formulations he provides.

They are legitmate,however, based upon the ones that I had the privy to see, can be obtained at any public libary, using the little burgandy book, Chemical Product Formlations for Car and Househould Use, or something close to that.

All the formulas date to the early 60's and stop, so not really update, many contain components that were legal or not at the time, found to toxic or carcenigenic at the time.

Today, many of the components have been re-classified to one of these catagories.

Ketch</HTML>

June 27, 2004 05:13PM
<HTML>Ron:

Thanks for the reply and I know you are only expressing your opinion on this matter, which you are most entitled.

I do not know, factually, what Dave Libby offers, but I know there is no magic in chemical formulation, it is just basic chemistry. No razzle-dazzle, just a combination of ingredients to achieve a desired result.

I am sure that many of the formulas for products you have are nothing more than what you have gotten from ingredients manufacturers with a little tweeking.

After all, how much technology can you put in a carpet shampoo; carwash shampoo or glass cleaner, if I may?

I encourage anyone who is interested in what Dave Libby has to offer to contact him directly and judge for yourself if it is good or not.

Afterall Ron and I formulate and sell our own chemicals so we would naturally be prejudiced.

Regards
Bud Abraham

buda
June 27, 2004 05:22PM
<HTML>Wayne:

Why do you ask? Do you buy my chemicals?

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
June 27, 2004 05:30PM
<HTML>The market is demanding concentrates due to the cost of freight and the difficulty in disposing of chemical containers. A big problem for automatic carwashes that use thousands of gallons of chemicals.

Chemical companies have been resistent to sell concentrates because the perception is that the customer is not getting much when they buy a 5 gallon container of super concentrate vs a 30 gallon drum.

From a marketing point of view it seemed like you got more with a 30 gallon barrel. However, some chemical companies did push the super concentrate concept and it forced many others to go that way.

You are right Chris, super concentrates are the logical way to do.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
June 27, 2004 05:30PM
<HTML>The market is demanding concentrates due to the cost of freight and the difficulty in disposing of chemical containers. A big problem for automatic carwashes that use thousands of gallons of chemicals.

Chemical companies have been resistent to sell concentrates because the perception is that the customer is not getting much when they buy a 5 gallon container of super concentrate vs a 30 gallon drum.

From a marketing point of view it seemed like you got more with a 30 gallon barrel. However, some chemical companies did push the super concentrate concept and it forced many others to go that way.

You are right Chris, super concentrates are the logical way to do.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
June 27, 2004 05:43PM
<HTML>That is the key with concentrates. Some care concentrated, some are SUPER concentrated.

The difficulty is selling SUPER CONCENTRATES is perceived price.

For example, I could sell a SUPER concentrated water based tires, vinyl, engine dressing that would dilute to 3 or 4 to one. But the price per gallon would be close to $30 per gallon.

I know many detailers would not buy it thinking they could get dressing for $12 a gallon.

That is the marketing problem for chemical companies. And, also they cannot charge as much either.

For example most carwash chemical companies used to charge $350 for a 30 gallon drum of spray wax. Volume it seemed to the buyer.

Then another company comes along and offers a 6 gallon pail of Super Concentrate for $169.

That is a lot of lost profit for the chemical company. The only difference was water.

My comments were not directed at you with regard to Dave Libby. He is an old timer in the chemical industry, and not well liked by most manufacturers. In fact, I first met him because of what a friend of mine, who worked for a detail chemical company had to say about him. I was prejudiced against him, but when I really got to know him I found he was a very nice person with excellent character.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
June 27, 2004 06:33PM
<HTML>Bud,

I ask an honest question..., you can never just give an honest answer....
Why so paranoid about a yes or no question.</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
June 27, 2004 07:20PM
<HTML>Wayne;

I have not been on this fourm to long but it seems to me like you really got it on for Bud. I know neither of you, all I know is that any time Bud post a thread your their to challenge him or trying to make him look bad by saying he is paraniod about answering your questions.

You sound like a very intellegent person on your threads. Why cant you just be Buds friend.</HTML>

A.T.
June 27, 2004 07:34PM
<HTML>hey guys thanks for all your input(i think),the only reason i ask is because i went to detail kings training seminar and noticed that most of the products he sells ive never seen before except his compounds which are fowleror i guess they call themselves satellite now.anyway what i figured out was that i should be doing these seminars myself and im trying to pick up a line of product to sell.i dont know how old his mixtures are but if his making detail kings all purpose cleaners and degreaseres i want him on my team or maybe i could just buy direct from him</HTML>
June 27, 2004 07:45PM
<HTML>A.T.

Please look at the thread again...,
I "asked" a question,
I "recieved" a response, but no answer(again).
For some reason, this is Bud's "routine" with me...,
No "straight" answers, lots of evasive answers(when there is one).

Why??? Ask Bud, I do not have that answer...

To me, it just "seems" like there is something "hidden" when a "simple yes or no question" can not be answered...,
(just my thoughts on the subjectsmiling smiley</HTML>

www.waynestowels.com
June 27, 2004 08:55PM
<HTML>POWDERS ARE LEAST EXPENSIVE TO MAKE, STORE, PACKAGE AND SHIP BECAUSE THEY CARRY NO WATER WAIT.

LIQUIDS OR RTU CHEMICALS THAT YOU FIND AT THE LOCAL HARDWARE STORE ARE VERY EXPENSIVE. RTU'S ARE GENERALLY AIMED AT THE HOMEOWNER/CUSTOMER BECAUSE THE PRODUCTS ARE FULLY DILUTED TO A "SAFE-TO-HANDLE" STRENGTH.

I PURCHASE ALOT OF MY POWER WASHING CHEMICALS IN POWDER FORMS. I HAVE A TRUCK WASH CLOSE TO 100#'S. THE 100LBS COSTS CLOSE TO $100 WHICH EQUALS $1 A POUND. HERE COMES THE SAVINGS YOU TAKE 1 POUND OF POWDER ( $1 ) AND MIX THAT WITH A GALLON OF WATER. YOU NOW HAVE A SUPER CONCENTRATE YOU TAKE THAT SUPER CONCENTRATE AND THEN CUT IT TO 50 TO 1 FOR TRACTORS AND 100 TO 1 FOR A PRESOAK FOR CARS. ( STILL HAND WASH WITH YOUR CAR WASH SOAP THE PRESOAK HELPS LOOSEN UP BUGS AND REALLY FILTHY PANELS.) SO YOUR PRESOAK COSTS YOU A PENNY A GALLON. WHAT A DEAL.

I ALSO BUY MY CHEMICALS CALLED "SLURRY'". SLURRY IS THE MOST CONCENTRATED LIQUID FORM OF A CHEMICAL POSSIBLE.</HTML>

PRECISION POWER WASHING &amp; AUTO DETAILING
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login