Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

inspecting for swirls

Posted by mark Boucher 
inspecting for swirls
June 29, 2004 12:23AM
<HTML>Hey all,

I'd like to know, when you inspect the finish for swirls :

a) Do you do it under bright sunlight only ?

b) Do you wipe off any excess filler oil, after polishing, to *make sure* some swirling isn't hidden instead of removed ?

Best...</HTML>

Keep up the good work !
Re: inspecting for swirls
June 29, 2004 01:20AM
<HTML>a. Direct sunlight is the best way to inspect for swirls -- actually notice them instantly. Flourescent bulbs will just show imperfections in the paint but when you pull it out into the sunlight, the imperfection aren't as visible.

b. Just wipe off excess and buff to perfection with a microfiber.

Goodluck!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
June 29, 2004 04:17AM
<HTML>Whoa!!!

Brian, how can you tell if there are swirls, until you remove all the lubricating, filling oils that are naturally present in any "polishing" product, until you remove the "optical ollusion" the may create?

We teach, spray down a small area that has been "polished" with a mixture of 50/40 70% rubbing alcohol, or stronger, allow the mixture to set/dwell of the area for 30 seconds or longer (longer is better) agitate the area with a clean, non polish/dressing contaminated towel, then allow it set/dwell for a few seconds longer, (15 seconds or longer), followed by a wipe again, with another clean, absolutely non-contaminated terry or micro fiber towel to remove any residue.

Now you wait for a bit longer to allow total evaporation of any of the alcohol or broken oils, or get out a heat gun, set on low to speed the final evaporation.

Now, clean your fingers, use the alcohol, undiluted, to remove any polishing oils, etc from your fingers, dry them.

Place your finger tips against the panel, and "push".

Your finger should NOT slide, they should feel "tension".

This indicates that there is "nothing on the surface", what you will look at is not one that has and optical false impression, but the "real paint".

Then take the 30X lighted magnifer, place it "directly on the buffed/polished portion of the panel and look for any marring.

Guess what, you will see some, cause you are looking at a surface that has no Phoney stuff on it.

The less you see of marring, the better the finish is going to look when you put on the final protectant.

Brian, I know you understand what I am posting, but not sure some will, since some are a bit confused regarding a lot of marketing promises, so jump in here anytime you want.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
June 29, 2004 04:45AM
<HTML>Yeah, I think I jumped the gun on this one. You can't tell without doing the steps you posted. My apologies to Mark and the newbies. Ron posted the required steps to follow for a "swirl free finish" inspection.

May have misread post (b.) didn't know this was regarding the removal of fillers with alcohol to view for swirls -- just paid more attention to best way to "final inspect" in sunlight and just wiping off excess polish.

I admit, some polishes I use have fillers in them but then again, most of my clientel don't require high speed polishing.

Now, would the micro-marring from washing with a wool mitt, require the use of a rotary or would hand polishing be sufficient?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

June 30, 2004 01:37PM
<HTML>Grumpy,

I think a better solution is to have procedures in place for proper polishing using the correct pads, products, speeds, and techniques that virtually eliminate the possibility of having swirl problems in the first place.

We check our cars for swirls before and after the detailing process in the direct sunlight. I find that cover-up glazes won't survive the first wash and most swirls are visible even after a wax or sealant has been applied.</HTML>
July 10, 2004 03:21AM
<HTML>Just kind of curious- I recently cleaned up most of the swirl marks on my car, as in I cannot see them anymore when I look at the panel closely, but... When the car gets dirty or I use a certain soap, I can see swirls. So, could this be chemical-related or ??? Like I said, otherwise my paint is perfect, no marks or anything...

Anne</HTML>
July 10, 2004 03:28AM
<HTML>You are a female, right?

So, you understand the concept of "make-up" and what happens when you wash your face and take the make-up off?

That is what is happening, you are not removing the "swirls", just putting "make-up" on them and when you wash the vehicle, or it is exposed to high heat, which evaporates the "swirl remover-make-up", you are using to hide them, goes or is washed away.

Ketch</HTML>

July 10, 2004 03:33AM
<HTML>Yeah, I understand the whole concept of makeup, and I probably should tell you more what I did to "rid" of swirlmarks.

I got a rotary buffer and worked at the spots with a bit of fine cut cleaner, but after deciding it may be too harsh for the swirls I had, I used some paint sealant & swirl remover and worked it in. I was working in some sun, so I could see the swirls and then after I went over them with whatever chemical I was using, they disappeared.

Okay, now I see what you are getting at, the makeup stays on as long as its clean. I just don't understand why the rotary didn't help things out since the paint no longer has the scratches it did...

Anne</HTML>
July 10, 2004 03:40AM
<HTML>Ron, Did you get my email?

Anne, What type of pad are you using with the swirl remover?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

July 10, 2004 01:44PM
<HTML>No, Brian, didn't get it, but I am at home and my POP is not working to pick up messages from my ketch@autoint.com account.

Use the ketchacar@lycos.com address.

Ketch</HTML>

July 10, 2004 02:05PM
<HTML>Ketch....I sent you an email as well,about sending me your product samples & info.I'm still very interested in trying out your products.Can you send them out as soon as possible?

Thanks again !</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
ColesCountyAutoDetailing.com
July 10, 2004 02:14PM
<HTML>If it went to the office, and all the needed shipping information was included, they will go out next week.

You must first read and study the large laminated wall charts, as they have the usage information, the mix ratios, etc, since not all the sample bottles have directions on them.

A word of caution, UPS often screws up and delivers the samples and doesn't get the tube with the charts, etc in it to the address for another day or two.

So, please, do not attempt to try any of the samples unless you have the charts to refer to.

ketch</HTML>

July 11, 2004 10:26PM
<HTML>I was using a medium cutting pad (forgive me if its not the technical term, I am not at home to check out the name on the back), then a finishing pad with the polish/sealant/swirl remover. I got three pads from the Wizards guys- I believe fine cut, finishing and the one is for swirl remover, they told me.

Again, I cannot see the darned swirls on the paint surface, they magically appear in certain lights and dirty conditions.

I think I'm gonna give up the ghost and just name the car "Swirly" and have personalized plates. hehehe

Anne</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login