Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

detail trailers

Posted by ben smith 
detail trailers
June 29, 2004 01:35AM
<HTML>

How do these guys selling these trailers justify these expensive prices? Also they say they have training to help the new owners of these trailers. What kind of credentials do these supposed trainers have. Unless it is Bud or Ketch Id be suspect of their skills. I can outfit a pickup truck with everything you need for 1000. I dont like scammers praying on naive people.</HTML>
Re: detail trailers
June 29, 2004 01:43AM
<HTML>and people can detail their cars 4 or 5 times for under $30 yet we charge $225 sometimes. Why? Simple. Supply and demand. Some people don't want to detail their own cars. They don't know how.

Same goes for trailers. Some people don't know how to build one, don't have the resources, or the time.

I've had people call me and ask me HOW to build a trailer and I tell them. I even referred them to my supplier to buy the proper equipment (at retail price of course). He and I are buddies now that rely on each other when work gets too heavy for one. He told me flat out that he would have MUCH rather bought a trailer from me than deal with the hell it took for him to put one together himself. Oh and he ended up paying $80 less than what I charge.

I sell my trailers for $2000. It costs me $1500 to make it at wholesale prices ($1800 at retail). So if $500 profit as a dealer ($200 as a consumer) is "ripping someone off", then sorry for making a living.

Now, I do agree that some of these $6000 trailers are ridiculous, but obviously there's a demand, otherwise they wouldn't be selling them.

Oh, and a trailer is WAY more professional than throwing everything in the back of your truck for $1000 (which im sure doesn't include any sort of skid or organization for that).

Thanks</HTML>
June 29, 2004 03:43AM
<HTML>I shall subscribe to this thread -- looks like things should get interesting. Pass the popcorn!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
June 29, 2004 05:16PM
<HTML>I had Jeff of Detrailers put my trailer together. It cost me a good amount of money, but it was done correctly, and with everything I need, including a reclaim tank. It is sort of like if you were to remodel a building for a detail business, you would higher contractors to do most, if not all of the work. I will have the trailer paid off by the end of the summer, so the investment was worth it. No headaches of putting it together and I had time to promote and advertise my detail business instead of worrying about the trailer.</HTML>
June 29, 2004 06:43PM
<HTML>Pretty good response...many people are just getting started in the business and don't know what they will and won't need and cutting corners is brutal in the business. When I first got started, I built my own trailer and failed MISERABLY. Then I upgraded to Honda equipment, a bigger tank, a reel, longer hose, proper insulation, proper threading, proper plumbing, reclaim, and most important: a WARRANTY. Nothing like knowing that if your trailer fails, its covered. And I provide a trailer to use for my local customers so that there is no downtime for their business if something goes wrong. I pride myself on customer service smiling smiley</HTML>
June 30, 2004 12:49AM
<HTML>Keith;

I also had mine built by Jeff over at Detrailers and I was very impressed with his work quality and service that he provides.

Was a pretty big investment since mine was a 5x12 with custom paint 5bar aluminum plateing, water clairification system, 13hp 4000psi washer w/burner for powerwashing if needed. Awsome trailer you get what you pay for with Jeff.

If I would have built that trailer myself I probably would have saved about $3000.00 just was not worth it for me , I had no time.</HTML>

A.T.
June 30, 2004 04:59AM
<HTML>Thanks to Keith and "A.T." you were both a pleasure to work with and stated some great points in your posts. Both of you had the big picture mentallity. I have seen so many startups by "do it yourselfers" who build their trailer over the weekend with parts they got from Home Depot, and fall flat on thier face because they do not know the in's and out's of the business and the proper way to get started. I dole out alot of free advice to these people, so I am in this business for more than the money.

p.s. keep an eye on the site. alot of new things on the way....

Thanks so much for your kind words,

Jeff
www.detrailers.com</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login