Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Cleaning Paint Spill in Interior?

Posted by Steve Bough 
<HTML>Potential customer just stopped by with a Taurus that has a red cloth interior and has had a gallon of yellow paint spilled in the back seat and floor.

The paint was water-based and was pretty well wiped up when it was spilled. The upholstery and carpet are still kinda "stiff" with a yellow tint.

I'm guessing a solvent based cleaner will clean this up?

As always...any help or suggestions greatly appreciated!</HTML>

Re: Cleaning Paint Spill in Interior?
July 03, 2004 01:55AM
<HTML>Steve, have any luck with this ? I see no one had replied, so just wondered what you did to clean it up ?

Jim.</HTML>
July 03, 2004 03:20AM
<HTML>I would use a stiff brush to break up all of the latex paint then vacuum everything up. Now you just have a stain right? Use mineral spirits or possibly rubbing alcohol. Maybe acetone as well?? Not sure with the color contarst after using it on carpeting -- although Scothgard has acetone as the drying agent in it.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
<HTML>Well...here's "the rest of the story".

The guy who brought in the Taurus told me the local Wal-Mart had mixed the paint and hadn't put the lid on the can tightly. Said they had agreed to pay for the clean-up.

I gave him a written estimate and haven't heard from him since. The Taurus was a 93 and the paint spill wasn't only problem it had. I'm guessin' he took the estimate to Wal-Mart, got the payment, and figured he could live with the stain.</HTML>

July 03, 2004 04:52PM
<HTML>Probably. 93' Tuarus I'd do the same.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
July 04, 2004 01:35AM
<HTML>Dear Steve,

<a href="[www.clean-image.co.uk] is a problem we see all the time. </a>
As you probably know, here in England it rains for about 340 days a year, so at the first sign of sunshine loads of people rush down to B&Q to buy some paint/Woodstain/varnish to so do those outdoor jobs they can't do in the wet.

The thing is that it can get very hot inside a car when it's left in the sun, the paint tends to expand and the lids pop off. Actually it isn't the fault of the paint suppliers at all. Over here they have started supplying the paint cans with 3 metal clips to hold the lids down, but it still doesn't work when the sun gets on it, it just means they explode.

...all the more work for us. When the sun comes out, it has been known for us to get 4 of these in a week.

When you say it was water based paint, I expect you mean it was an acrylic paint in a water carrier. Once dry it won't re-wet with water because it has become plastic but it can be softened. There are two methods to get it off. First with stream, the second with several gallons of standard thinners, (slow thinners works even better). It sounds harsh, but we have never had any problems... excluding having to recolour some soft leather upholstery, but thats par for the course.

We did a vandalized Merc a couple of weeks ago and we have photos start to finish which I am going to put into an article for our web site sometime this week. I'll post a link when it's done.
It was a really good example because it was purple paint on light grey leather, carpets, headlining and trim. It would have cost a fortune to replace the interior, we saved the insurance company thousands of pounds.
Once you have done one or two of these and have photos, it's well worth approaching insurance companies. If you can prove you can do it, they will give you loads of work.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login