Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

white film/haze on plastic where speedometer is

Posted by mj 
mj
white film/haze on plastic where speedometer is
June 30, 2004 04:46AM
<HTML>i have like a white film or haze on the plastic where the speedometer
(rpm, speed, gas, etc.) is. does anybody have any ideas for getting that off? i dont no if it is scratches or what, but i tried dish washing liquid and rag, oximagic for cars and a rag, and even fingernail polish remover and none of them seemed to work. if anything i think that the oxymagic made it a little worse, like it was smeered. please someone help. THANKS!</HTML>
Re: white film/haze on plastic where speedometer is
June 30, 2004 12:12PM
<HTML>MJ.

If you are talking about the clear plastic then it sounds like the plastic has been damaged beyond repair to me. This hazing is sometimes caused by someone using a cleaner containing solvents.

Jim.</HTML>
June 30, 2004 01:41PM
<HTML>The problem you are encountering is something for which there is no answer at this point. We have learned that auto manufacturers all use different plastics for these panels and we have learned too that certain chemicals will haze the plastic. Unfortunately at this time there is no way to know which plastic will be affected by which chemicals.

We understand that Chrysler is doing testing to try and determine an answer.

As Jim Hamill stated youp probably have something that is not repairable.

Best advise for the future, use ONLY WATER and a microfiber towel to clean that plastic.

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
<HTML>Go to a boat supply store and explain the problem they MIGHT have a plastic cleaner that will clear up the problem.</HTML>
July 01, 2004 02:23AM
<HTML>By using what you did on there you made have pasted the point of no return.

Try a little car polish on a soft rag and polish a spot. Take your time and rub it in good. If it shines up then goout and buy Meguiars PLAST -X and ploish out the part.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
July 01, 2004 02:23AM
<HTML>Jim, I am still shaking my head of why someone would take a product that has a component in it that is meant to "melt" nail polish??

Nail polish is nothing more than a very simple resin construction of any other "urethane/acrylic/polymer/plastice" coating.

The remover is meant to "remove-break apart" the "binder" of the "nail polish".

Of course it would "screw it up".

Geezz, what the hell ever happened to logic???

Now I will use the name that says it all.

GRUMPY
(cause he don't like dealing with somethings that are so simple)</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
July 01, 2004 03:56AM
<HTML>Go to www.Janvil.com and order the starter kit. Janvil is a plastic restoration product that really works. The starter kit consists of 3 products-a plastic shine, light scratch remover and a heavy scratch remover.

I had a '98 Mercedes Benz SL500 convertible today. The back plastic windor was trashed. It was scratched and had a greasy, milky film over it from whatever the owner used to clean it. My associate tried a little glass cleaner. That did absolutely nothing. We tried the Janvil plastic shine and it took a few applications, but it came out as clear as glass!! Beautiful!! The owner was blown away as that window was one of his big concerns.

The Plastic Shine did such a good job that we didn't even have to bother with the scratch removal products.

Oh, and I was able to charge the owner $25 for about 20 minutes of work. I could have charged $50 and he would have gladly paid it. The results were that good!! The secret, as we found out, is to mist the product on and let it dwell for several minutes until it's just starting to dry then wipe it off with a clean terry towel followed by a mf. Just make sure the indow is free of dirt & dust so you don't scratch it.

The kit cost less that $25. Shipping is cheap, too.</HTML>

Shine On!

Rod Wesley
Touch Up 'N' Go!
Auto &amp; Marine Appearance Center
We take your car from Rough to Buff!
Visit our website at: www.touchupngo.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login