Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tree Sap Removal!

Posted by Eric Brandenburg 
Tree Sap Removal!
June 30, 2004 07:15PM
<HTML>I just had a new client come by this afternoon,and the vehicle has been in Penn for a month or so,and has gotten an extremly heavy amount of Pine Tree Sap all over it. This thing looks like someone had sprayed it on,like the liquid masking we spray on at the Body shop. Not quite but nearly that bad.</HTML>

Thanks Webb Master for getting me back on Line!.....Brandy
Re: Tree Sap Removal!
June 30, 2004 07:21PM
<HTML>Sorry for the screw up,new computer, and not use to the key pad set up as the old one was! The original question, that I wanted to ask was, what to clean this heavy tree sap of with. I plan on giving it a coat of Diamond Plus after finishing. This is a new Honda Pilot, and less than 1m miles on it. Would you all recommend using Mineral Spirits, or Zep orange cleaner, or just purchase tree sap remover. I just don't want to chance screwing the finish,but never seen a coat of tree sap this heavy........ thanks Brandy !</HTML>
June 30, 2004 07:21PM
<HTML>Sounds like a fun job....how do you plan on removing it ?

GOOD LUCK!</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
ColesCountyAutoDetailing.com
June 30, 2004 07:28PM
<HTML>try DENATURED ALCHOL or TURPENTINE....they will remove pine tree sap .</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
ColesCountyAutoDetailing.com
June 30, 2004 07:54PM
<HTML>Green rubbing alcohol works the best. Wash the effected area use a cotton T-shirt for light color and a Microfiber for dark colored make sure the vehicle is in a COOL area while doing this process DO NOT USE ALOT OF PRESSURE and go in one direction rub lightly.

Follow up with a wash again and apply a polish and then a paint protectant</HTML>
July 01, 2004 02:32AM
<HTML>New Again, you got it partly right, based on my years of this business.

Pine tree sap, been on there more than a month, it has evaporated it's base solvent, and left behind a deposit of "turpene", the base of the good old turpentine.

The only way, other than "hammering" the deposits by what ever methods some may chose to use, is "soak it with turpentine" and I mean, soak at towel, lay it on the affected area and let nature do it's work.

That is not to say, that this version of the pine sap can not be removed by other methods, time, etc.

However ever, why fight the bad fight?

Depending on the color of the base coat under the clear, the amount and temperature the vehicle has been subjected to, it may very be way too late.

Getting it off is one thing, explaining to the customer why you can't take out the "cracked/crazed" stains in the paint is another.

That is why we put up on our site the photos of "cracked/crazed' paint, however it is under the bird dropping section of Tech Tips, since the end result is the same.

The clear, the basecoat, toast!!!

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login