Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Project for NEW Detailing Association

Posted by Bud Abraham 
Project for NEW Detailing Association
July 03, 2004 11:03PM
<HTML>Today, on my way to the office, as I drove thru my small town of 5,000 people I noticed that two student groups were sponsoring carwashes. Kids standing in the street smiling and waving signs to encourge people to come in and get a "FREE" carwash. Of course, they accept donations.

One wash was being conducted on the property of the Sandy Fire Dept, government property, hummm!!!

The other on the lot of a very large tire store that is part of a 200+ chain of stores in the Western USA.

Obviously both are blatantly violating the law.

I think a great project for the NEW association would be to start writing some letters and emails to companies and municipalities that we all on the forum and members of the association see in our area violating the law. As they say, "there is strength in numbers."

Jim & Brian, if you want I will give you the names and addresses of the Sandy City Manager; Mayor; Fire Chief and president of the tire store chain and manager's name and address of the store (cc him the letter you write to the president).

Of course, this supposes that members of your association are compliant with the law too.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
Re: Project for NEW Detailing Association
July 04, 2004 12:54AM
<HTML>If its fund raising leave me out...I make to much money from the results of such events to ever complain...Plus its bad publicity in my opinion!!!If they interview you with your ethics. and law abiding complaint ...then interview the kids doing the fund raiser who will be the bad guy...Just my 2 for the record!!!!</HTML>
July 04, 2004 12:54AM
<HTML>Bud, thank you for your suggestion.

This association , being only 6 weeks old, is not going to get in the business of trying to force charity car washes out of business.

Perhaps the ICA should follow the WCA program and encourage its carwash owner members to follow their program nationwide, asking car wash owners to allow charity groups to use their tunnels ?

Jim.</HTML>
July 04, 2004 01:17AM
<HTML>Maybe contact the CIA or FBI for this one, LOL!!!

I also saw some kids going door to door selling girl scout cookies and I do not think they had a city business license and broke the law, ha, ha...</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
July 04, 2004 01:21AM
<HTML>Jim that sounds like a honest response and a true professional response ....especially if you have teenage kids!!!</HTML>
July 04, 2004 01:23AM
<HTML>OK, seriously...,

I like Jim's idea of allowing the charities to use the facility on your off day, it would not only be good for the charity, but you will be noticed as making a nice contribution.
(instead of getting bad publicity by hitting the headlines with "Attacks on Charity/Fund Raiser" pointed at your business...,</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
July 04, 2004 02:31AM
<HTML>Jim:

ICA is the one that started the program that got commercial carwashes to contact the civic groups and offer them a program to sell tickets and make money rather than doing the wash and polluting the streams.

WCA picked up on what ICA started a few years ago.

I think that if all members of your association and of the forum gave you the names and addresses of the cities, etc and you wrote them it would have a positive effect.

Regards

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
July 04, 2004 02:56AM
<HTML>Bud, if everyone on the forum and the members of the association sent me the addresses, I wouldnt have the time to go to work, be with my family or help get the association off of the ground.

This really is not something the association plans to get involved in, it is being set up to help detailers run their business. What the association will do is focus on the their needs, which they indicated to us in the survey.

If all of the members were to write to me and ask me to do it then we would, but they havent and I doubt they will. Enviromental concerns aside, how do Charity Car Washes affect detailers ? They really dont, they do hurt car washes though. Guy Goddard of the ICA "Everybody would be better served if there weren't any more parking lot washes."

This is a subject that I believe the ICA has been doing a lot of work on, and I believe a lot of lobbying too, they are much better equiped and have a lot more clout than we do. I dont know all of the details , and I may be incorrect, but I read that they were pushing heavily to get home washing banned in some states, but started backing off when the publicity started to get adverse and they changed their tatics.

You know I read and research a lot, and one thing I have noticed is that almost every single State and City has a different view, different set of codes. Some allow fund raisers to operate if they follow their guidelines, another allows them to operate if they use a kit provided by the city to plug the drains with a filter ( awesome idea in my opinion), others have specific areas set aside just for fund raisers where the water drains off in to grass areas where the water is filtered.

Jim.</HTML>
July 04, 2004 04:40AM
<HTML>Why not turn it into a win-win situation?

Contact the organizations that traditionally perform these kinds of fund raisers. Educate them about waste water run off, educate them about the law. Then show them how you can help.

If a detailer (mobile such as me) and a charity combined forces to put on a charity wash, they both would benefit.

The charity gets a pro. To instruct them on how to wash cars, commercial grade equipment (that only I or my employees would operate), and the advantage of waste recovery equipment.

The detailer gets exposer to the public and contact with potential clients.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
July 04, 2004 04:46AM
<HTML>Joe.

That is certainly something the association would be interested in promoting and assisting with. We will add it to our (vey long) list of things to do.

Jim.</HTML>
July 04, 2004 05:15AM
<HTML>Good post Jim, and I agree with you as you present it.

bud a</HTML>

buda
July 04, 2004 05:17AM
<HTML>Jose, and even better post than Jim's. When you get lemons, make lemondade.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
July 04, 2004 08:12AM
<HTML>Most of you know my views on water run-off and reclaimation. My opinion and realistic points don't justify the law but I mean lets get real.

To penalize charity washes of raising money for whatever their goals may be is just wrong.

Maybe the PDTA can find a manufacturer who is willing to lend or donate water reclaimation mats to charities throughout the country. Hey, it's a tax write-off for the manufacturer, right?

A kid selling lemonade on the side walk isn't registered with the state or reporting his profits with the IRS. He won't go to jail for it either. Is he breaking the law? Yes. But so is tinting your windows.

Charities working with the NJ government run charty carwashes all the time and they don't collect water. Noone is complaining and honestly, noone really cares.

Plus, home carwashing is the next favorite past time next to baseball. It's an American tradition.

Bud, I appreciate your suggestions and care that you respect the law and environment but I have to agree with Jim and the rest.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
July 06, 2004 11:32AM
<HTML>Just my $0.02 on this topic. There is a church group a couple of miles from my shop that is conducting "charity" car washes on its property every Saturday and Sunday so far this summer. I imagine that they intend to continue doing so for the rest of the summer as well. I have no issue with this because (a) they don't do a good job and actually damage the paint on a lot of cars making more work for me (b) washing cars is not a large part of my business. However, I do take issue with the fact that they are in large part operating a business due to the number of times they are holding car washes and they are not being subjected to the same enforcement as all the legitimate businesses in the car washing business. I know that if I started washing 20-40 cars outside in my parking lot twice a week and allowed all the wastewater to run freely into the storm sewer I would certainly be fined eventually whether there was a complaint or not. It's not an issue of making the charity the "bad guy". It's an issue of equally enforcing the law for all people all the time. I would personally be more than happy to offer my business up for use by a charity on Sundays to wash cars as long as they would provide adequate insurance coverage for themselves for the day.</HTML>

July 06, 2004 08:45PM
<HTML>What association are you talking about?
How can one become a member if it is something we are interested in?</HTML>
July 07, 2004 02:27AM
<HTML>Doc.

Warren contacted me a few weeks ago about this, and I did send him an e-mail but heard nothing back.

The new association is the PDTA, you can check out our web site at

www.detailersassociation.com

for more information. If you are interested in joining then e-mail me at jhammill@detailersassociation.com.

Jim.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login