Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

<b>Glass cleaning advice?</b>

Posted by <b>Webmaster</b> 
<b>Glass cleaning advice?</b>
July 06, 2004 03:37AM
<HTML>All:

I got the following email in response to the glass cleaning page on the detailing site:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you for your interesting, easily read, informative web site.  I have throughly enjoyed reading it.  I enjoy keeping my car and pickup clean and wanted up to date information to  insure that my detailing program was current.  I think I'm doing ok.  May I share something with you that works well for me?.... To clean glass use a minimal amount (literally, just a pinch) of corn starch.  If you're well heeled, use Johnson & Johnson baby powder, again use just a pinch.  Why Johnsons brand?  Government testing (yes, all available powders were tested) revealed Johnsons was the most pure (read: clean and consistant in size). 
Can you tell that I'm a former clean room, government employee? 
Wash and completely dry vehicle.  Apply the powder to a slightly dampened clean (100%) cotton cloth and lightly rub (in an east, west direction) a 6" area at a time.  Without reapplying more powder, go over the area again (in a north, south direction).  Wipe clean all residue before continuing.  For best results, this portion of the vehicle cleaning should be done in an enclosed area to minimize flying powder.  Use a clean, dry toothbrush to remove excess powder from the glass surround.  Work's great on a  moonroof too. It will leave them clean, streak free and smooth to the touch. 
To some, this method is overkill.  To me; its absolutely the best way to clean windows.  Yea, I'm the guy who cleans fenderwells and rocker panels when I get home after running through water puddles.  Call me the town nitpicker.

++++++++++++++++++

It sounds good. But what does everyone think? I'd like to include it in the detailing site if it is good advice.

Regards,

Paul Pollock
WebCars! Webmaster
[web-cars.com]

</HTML>
Re: Glass cleaning advice?
July 06, 2004 03:43AM
<HTML>Paul,

Yes, that is a bit of overkill. I get outstanding, flawless results with just an application of Invisible Glass. The powder seems like it would dust up the vehicle.

I do believe though, professional window cleaners use some form of powder in their formula.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
July 06, 2004 03:45AM
<HTML>Paul, I think I'll just stick to cleaning with a MF towel and glass cleaner , quick and easy.

Jim.</HTML>
July 06, 2004 05:58AM
<HTML>Sound like a bunch of extra work to me...IF..... it even works effectively ! Never heard of that OR tried it so I would'nt know for sure.

.......but there is much quicker & effective way to get streak-free windows EVERYTIME,whithout having to do all that.

*Simply use a good quality AUTO glass-cleaner to start with, formulated to produce a streak-free shine WHITHOUT leaving a soapy residue film behind.

*Next, apply the AUTO glass cleaner DIRECTLY on to an applicator pad,then apply to window,INSTEAD of just spraying product directly on the glass and WASTING 50% OF the PRODUCT from the overspray bouncing off or blowing on to other surfaces(that can cause damage) or on to the floor.BIG cause for WASTE OF CHEMICALS in my opinion.

*Then QUICKLY before the product dries out on surface, wipe-CLEAN with a good QUALITY towell(I prefer a blue surgical towell)

....make one pass over front or back windows,doing half the surface area at a time, clean from center of front or back windows over to each side.

.... then QUICKLY before the product completely evaporates,wipe-POLISH it again with a clean towell and create enough friction by rubbing the window hard to create some heat and totally dry it to remove the excess film from the surface.

....ALSO you need bright direct indoor lighting to NOTICE the streaks completly as you clean windows or if you must,check after in the direct sun outdoors.

*Sometimes....you must repeat process again with a fresh applicator & towells to remove the thick smoke film on interior glass from smokers.

Simple as 1-2-3......once mastered....it should take less than 15min(inside & out)on average size cars to get streak-free results.The quicker the you can do the process ,the better the results...the key is not letting the product evaporate before final "streak free"polish.SPEED is important for good results.</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
ColesCountyAutoDetailing.com
July 06, 2004 08:31AM
<HTML>WEBMASTER:

Paul,
....I took some time to read through some of the "auto detailing:secrets of the experts" advice that is given on the (web-cars)site.If your not aware of it already, SOME of the auto detailing advice given on your site is NOT in agreement with the advice that is given here from the "experts" on this forum.

Maybee....some of the "well-known" detailing industry experts that participate here like.... Ron Ketchum of Auto International(autoint.com) or Bud Abraham of Detailplus or ANY of my fellow detailers in the biz,could read through your site as well, to make sure ALL the advice you give is accurate & current and is what most here agree is the correct definitions for detailing terms used on the site & the correct procedeure & process used by most here, the "experts" on this forum.I'm sure everybody here would be glad to participate in reveiwing YOUR current site and make suggestions for an UPDATE of this site.

I know from your inquires from time to time,that you are interested in providing accurate detailing info to your readers/visitors.I don't think most of the "experts"that partcipate here have really taken the time to read through the detailing material on this site.Maybee they could reveiw it and reccommend some UPDATES to this site as needed,if your interested?

LET US KNOW if your interested !</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
July 06, 2004 07:11PM
<HTML>Web Master: I completely agree with Chris Gaines on his last thread. I think you could use an up grade. You need to contact Bud and Grumpie, as they will give "U" and update,as Chris previously suggested........ :-) Brandy !</HTML>
<b>Re: Glass cleaning advice?</b>
July 07, 2004 03:19AM
<HTML>>>>I think you could use an up grade. You need to contact Bud and Grumpie, as they will give "U" and update <<<

Actually, I do change and update the content from time to time, based on input from the message board membership and emails I get, such as the one that started this thread.

Exactly what content on the site needs to be changed?

Keep in mind that the original intent of the [web-cars.com] site was to inform amateur / occaisional detailers. Also don't forget that amongst detailers, both amateur and professional, opinions and techniques will vary.

-Paul Pollock
WebCars! Webmaster</HTML>
July 07, 2004 03:59AM
<HTML>The corn starch works great on both glass and chrome. Used it before......it acts like a pumace.

I carry a bag of corm starch with me to use every so often but it can be messy.

Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
July 07, 2004 07:21AM
<HTML>WEBMASTER:

You stated:
"Keep in mind that the original intent of the [web-cars.com] site was to inform amateur / occaisional detailers. Also don't forget that amongst detailers, both amateur and professional, opinions and techniques will vary".

Paul,
.........True, OPINIONS may vary & we ALL here debate them ALOT ...but what many of the "experts"who participate here on this forum & in the detailing industry all agree on is....in setting some "STANDARDS" for professional techniques in process/procedeure & standard definitions of terms used in this industry.As well as setting the "standards" for the business side of detailing also.

THE REASON.....I mentioned there was SOME detailing info(business & technical) that I noticed on your site, that was inconsistent with the CURRENT info that is being given here everyday on the web cars forum by the some very"well-know" industry detailing "experts" & many other professionals who participate in the forum who own/operate successful detailing business, was BECAUSE....This site is great asset to many people who visit it to get QUALITY detailing info from the "experts"& i'm just trying to help you provide the most current facts/info about the detailing business as posted by the "experts" who regulary participate on the forum everyday.

The site is titled:

"Auto Detailingconfused smileyecrets of the Experts"

.....So the readers of the site probally assume that ALL the info("secrets") contained in it is obtained from the "experts" in the detailng industry and is the current standard in the biz,right?

Just trying to help.....the site just needs SOME(a few) updates, that's all.

Let me know if you want me to point out where I see some differences on the site.

GLAD TO HELP, if your interested in making some updates to the site?</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
July 07, 2004 08:32PM
<HTML>WebMaster Paul don't get your shorts in a Wad,as I'm a fledgeling here on this site. 1st of all I visited several other sites,and this is the best. What info I read and gotten email from others that are a helluva lot more experienced and educated than I, give some different solutions to some that you have done in the past. It just may be a difference of opinion. Guys Like Scotty,Bud,ketch Willie "G",Frank,Jose,Chris G,Jim Hamill,and about an even dozen others,are the true pro's and very gracious to pass along their knowledge as well. I didn't mean, nor do I think that Chris G mean't, that you leave it to stagnate. If you did we'd go somewhere else. Once again your site is excellent,and when talking with other detailers in my area,I tell them about your site here @ Secrets of the Experts. I know without a double I given your web site address to 16-20 other detailers in our general area,and 2 of which, are in the Columbus,Ohio area. I couldn't believe these folks weren't checking things out on the Webb. Most answers given were, I haven't the time.My answer to them was, you ought to try it, it could improve your Intelligence.This is the best apology that I can muster,as I ain't never Kissed any Ass,and at 58 I ain't about to start.....................................:-) Brandy!</HTML>
July 08, 2004 03:29AM
<HTML>People.....
Thats why they call it a FORUM... it is a public place where amatuers and professionals alike can meet and discuss what we all have in common... Most of the materials and posts that are read and replied to are opinions or either pro's or rookies that are looking to perfect their craft.

I happen to be new to this site and I have found that it is both informative and opinionated. being a professional I am always open to new and better methods or techniques that will either help me get my job done more efficiently and produce a better presentation.</HTML>

Dennis C. Whitnall
Industrial Automotive, Inc.
July 08, 2004 03:35AM
<HTML>Dennis, welcome to the forum !!

Jim.</HTML>
July 08, 2004 07:21AM
<HTML>Dennis.....I was refering to the web-cars website LINK titled:

Auto detailingconfused smileyecrets of the Experts

......NOT this LINK for the WEB-CARS FORUM(message board) The info listed there is NOT consistent with the "opinions" of the "experts" this FORUM, and needs updated,that's all.</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login