Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Express Detailing: new article in PC&D

Posted by C.M.Gaines 
Express Detailing: new article in PC&D
July 16, 2004 02:49AM
<HTML>Express Detailing:new article in PC&D by Buda is great !

This is what i've been talking about here on the forum for six months,AND offering to my customers for the past year.....Express detailing services

I agree this is totally quote from Bud....."consumers are buying conveinance" NOT just detailing services.

Like Ray Kroc understood about McDONALDS "they wernt selling hamburgers,they were selling conveinance" another quote from Buds article. I agree with this also.

"GUARILLA MARKETING" ......I love that quote from Bud also.....Your right on track with this article....great job !

That's why I my express "maintance" detail for $39($29 with coupon)as easy as ordering a pizza...one call does it all,HASLE FREE ! and have it priced it to appeal to the 80% of consumers who don't normally consider detailing services on a regular basis.NEW,repeat weekly/monthy business

...This has been my bread & butter for the past year,and works great on attracting people not normally interested....once I get them hooked on it.....they keep coming back for more.....they love the conveinance of it,and the value also....it's a easy sell...plus they love the coupons I advertise as well in the newspaper as well as the website(email coupons) for repeat /referal customers.

I have been Concentrating on high-volume regular repeat business customers for the past year instead of the traditional services offered at full service detail shop with higher-price per vehicle & lower volume complete "restoration"details.

This is the futrue in my opinion....EXPRESS plus Detailing shops that offer one-hour or less service,with FREE local pick-up and delivery.....just like domino's.Its what people want ! FAST !!!!!!! and easy to do !</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
ColesCountyAutoDetailing.com
By Bud A:the new issue/new article in PC&amp;D
July 16, 2004 03:22AM
<HTML>Has anybody read the new issue of PC&D yet featuring an article by Bud A.
about EXPRESS detailing? ANY opinions about this topic?

Anybody????</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
ANY opinions on the new issue/new detail article in PC&amp;D
July 16, 2004 06:21AM
<HTML>ANYBODY OUT THERE?

....have an opinion on EXPRESS detailing services being offered by a detailing operator instead of a automatic car wash operator?

ANY other DETAILERS out there OFFERING this type of EXPRESS service besides me?</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
Re: ANY opinions..no opinions? that's hard to beleive,here !
July 16, 2004 05:29PM
<HTML>Come on...their got to be at least one....ANYBODY?</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
July 16, 2004 06:08PM
<HTML>Chris:

While I realize that you are having some success offering your customers a maintenance detail service for only $39.95, most detailers here do a more extensive detail service, or at least they charge more than $39.95

As I told you in a private email the article you refer to in Professional Carwashing & Detailing Magazine was directed EXCLUSIVELY to automatic carwash operators.

It explains to them why exterior carwashing is a better alternative than full service.

Next month it will explain in detail how an Express Detail operation in lieu of traditional full service vacuuming and window cleaning will result in far greater profits with less labor.

But in the end, the article and the concept is not intended for detailers.

Glad that you liked the article however.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
July 16, 2004 06:17PM
<HTML>I cannot seem to find the article on PC&D's website. Which issue was it?

I think the lack of response to your post is typical. Many detailers don't consider "express detailing" to be a legitimate form of detailing. I disagree. Express detailing offers the benefits of detailing to consumers that cannot afford or don't have the time for full-service detailing.

Not everyone is willing or able to spend $200 for a showroom-quality complete detail that ties their car up for 5 hours. Express detailing allows consumers to get basic services like a hand wax, carpet shampoo, or basic interior cleaning and vacuuming performed quickly and at a price they can afford.

Besides offering consumers with affordable detailing services performed while they wait, express detailing offers us a higher profit potential than full-service detailing. While a $200 detail takes 4-5 hours of highly skilled labor, a $40 wax job takes about 30 minutes of less-skilled labor in a properly equipped detail bay.

Express detailing is not for everyone. I think it works best at an exterior carwash rather than a detail shop.</HTML>
July 16, 2004 06:32PM
<HTML>I disagree buda.....DETAILERS can do this as well....WHY NOT?

This EXPRESS plus detailing model CAN be used by detailing operators....AND I am the perfect example of that.

I have had GREAT success....not just SOME success THIS YEAR with my $39 EXPRESS hand wash & hand wax + express interior detailing in an hour or less service.....it's possible,TRUST ME.....AND less hassle and more profitable by adding it also vs. just ONLY OFFERING traditional "restoration' full-service detailing services....you can offer both....I DO....and they love it,and can't get enough of it !

WHY can't others do AS im doing,if they choose too?

GARY...I AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT THIS....as IM SURE others will also very soon....it's the way of the future in my opinion(and others)The express detailing article is IN THE CURRENT, of the NEW ISSUE...that not posted online at carwash.com,yet....but I just received the new current issue of the magazine in the regular mail yesterday.</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
<HTML>I don't know...I think maybe you guys oughta do a little more accurate time study on how long it takes ya to wash, debug and detar, dry, apply and remove your wax. Notice I didn't mention cleaning and dressing the wheels, tires, and wheelwells and cleaning the windows.

I would be VERY surprised if anyone can do this consistantly on anything but the most pristine vehicles in an hour or less. I'm not talking about a crew...just one guy.

Chris, if you're doing all this PLUS vacuuming and wiping down the interior PLUS picking up and returning the cars in an hour or less you're one hellofa guy!

I'm not saying a guy couldn't do it in that time frame once in a while but to be able to do it that quickly over and over, day after day, is pretty hard for me to fathom.

As a side note, I've got a jacka$$ here in town who did a complete detail including the engine compartment (although I'm not real sure what his defination of "complete" is) on a crew cab pick-up for $60. Took him and his buddy most of all day to get it done, I suppose he probably gave his pal $20 and figured he made $40. I'm pretty certain he has no idea of his water and utility expenses (works in his garage at home) and chemical costs. I figure by the time the dust settles he'll have made about $2.00 and hour.

I guess all I'm saying is that we can't do an "Express" detail in an hour that'd meet my standards. If you can...more power to ya!</HTML>

July 16, 2004 10:26PM
<HTML>Steve....I agree WITH YOU ALSO....not ALL detailers can keep up with MY pace at doing MY "version" of THE EXPRESS DETAILING SERVICES I offer for $39...in ONE-HOUR or less....one after the other,day after day....all year long....but,I keep it very simple & do it in stress-free enviroment,that set up specifically for express service to meet my one-hour time limitations IF REQUIRED BY THE CUSTOMERS needs....not all require the ONE-HOUR SERVICE....just some who's free time is very valuable them...their time IS money....and they see value in this one-hour service I offer them.

I maintain my phisical & mental fitness by doing it at that pace every day....it's like training for a sport or combat & then doing it everyday....Its a competition with me, to always try to beat my last time....to keep it interesting & challage myself phisically & mentally....I enjoy the work & the competition STILL.

After serving on ACTIVE DUTY in U.S. Navy, in the fighting "Sea bees" (Ccool smileyBU-Builder (was my rate) in a combat consrtuction batallion equivalant to an combat engineer(CE) In the Army.I learned many valuable lessons in the Training & experience from that service and the human endurance(you dont think you have until its life or death...then,that motivates you to a higher-level)....both mentally & phisically....when I think back on those days it makes me appreicate the freedoms I now enjoy in the civillan world.....EXPRESS detailing all day long everyday....is a breeze...compared to dodging bullets in the NAVY....while your just trying to do your job & complete the task as ordered & needed.....or your DEAD,maybee !

I always keep track & record in a log my progress of my speed on different sized vehicles with different needs,the more you do it the better & faster you get....and build up an endurance for it.....and after years of refining my process/procedures and chemical usage chioces and consistantally focusing on my speed,while maintaining quality & customer satisfaction....the end result is.....A quick,conveinent,quality EXPRESS detailing service that my customers have responded very well to in high-volume #(=higher-profits) and repeat business.....most of my business now is EXPRESS SERVICE.....with an average ticket being $49 total.... with add-on extra services I offer as well to allot of express customers who become a full-service customers if needed(carpet shampooing,road oil removal,scratch removal,etc...)

.....Specifically I offer in my VERSION of EXPRESS DETAILING not WHAT OTHERS offer in their express services....but I offer what most my customers want or can afford.....Tailored to the majority of their needs.

MY express ONE-HOUR express service...Which includes this all this in the service and only this:FIRST if needed I offer FREE local pick-up & delivery(which anywhere in my city limits can be reaced in 5 min.drive time MAX.very small area)I pick-up and on the way to my garage I first stop off at the self-serve car wash and do basic hand wash(including bug splatter removal)but nothing else ....not road oil removal(thats always extra according to amount & size of vehicle) THEN DRIVE to my garage and EXPRESS hand wax it....dress the tires....vac interior...dust-off dash....clean windows...then wipe out door seals....and finally drive it back to their location....thats it......IN ONE HOUR....Guaranteed ! (with many satisfied customers this year)

Give this a try....you have nothing to lose....it can work for others in a simular circumstance as myself....IF done this way !</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
July 17, 2004 01:05AM
<HTML>Bud is very knowlegable on this subject matter, as himself and Steve Okum have been doing studies, regarding the service, labor time, etc for more than a few years.

As Gary Giffin points out, it is a great service.

One of our major carwash/detailing accounts, Delta Sonic, offers both full detailing services as well as "maintance" services.

They feel as I do, that the "express detail" expression may be detrimental when it comes to their marketing of their "full detail" services.

Rather than create more confusion in their market place, (20+ shops), they use the "maintance" expression as a sales tool to get their customers to return regularly for profitable services.

Let's face it, once a vehicle is detailed correctly and the customer returns regularly for "touch-up" or "maintance" services, it does not require near as much labor time to do so.

The "express detail" controversy has been an on-going subject of debate for a few years now, but it has it's merits and profit opportunities, if presented correctly and with your labor costs under control.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
July 17, 2004 01:53AM
<HTML>KETCH....great points !.....I AGREE....if presented properly express detailing services can be VERY effective at attracting the 80% of untaped market of "non-regular" USERS of detailing services more often on a repeat basis....not just once a year with restoration detail work ON AVG.....my point is to offfer this as well as complete restoration services to your customers. not in competition with your own restoration services...but add EXPRESS also....for those who want it.

....YOU CAN DO BOTH in an effort to increase repeat volume and convert them into restoration detail work at a later date if needed....EXPRESS SERVICES gets them interested & used too DETAILING on a regular basis and the benifits keep them coming back....then you can work on adding other complete restoration services as needed and they are more "educated" each time they visit for their regular EXPRESS SERVICE.

TRUST ME.....this works VERY well FOR ME....just keep it simple & conveinent for your customer...."It's as easy as ordering a pizza......one call does it all" is my slogan for my express services....don't forget your selling them conveinence.....not just a express detail job.The quicker the better,as long as the quality remains the same EVERYTIME !

.....faster is better....and cheaper is key....$29 to the $39 range seams be the most attractive price point to them...then they will usally add-on a extra $10 to $20 express service to make the total ticket on the express job on avg. $49.....THIS ADDS up very nicely IF you can maintain your full-capacity on a regular basis ....with repeated advertising from coupons,this is possible.... once word gets out,and the ball starts rolling....it's a fast paced business....but if its kept simple & effeicent....watching your labor & chemical cost....one-man can handle it(I do)...if not, two can keep up with no problem....one on each side....like production work...keep em' moving...in & out ! and WATCH the easy dollars keep rolling in...its been great for my business....maybee yours too.....give it a try.....before your competition beats you too it.....this is the future,in my opinion.

GOOD LUCK !
less=more</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
July 17, 2004 04:16AM
<HTML>C.M.,

I was just curious as to what steps you take for your express detail.

For mine I wash, wax, dress tires and trim, clean windows, vacuum, clean and dress dash and console.

$65 for most cars / $80 for quad cabs, large SUV's, and vans.</HTML>
July 17, 2004 02:01PM
<HTML>Express details are great for that small percentage of the population that actually has theri vehicle cleaned on a regular basis but for the average person who does not wash their vehicle regularly, does not vacuum their interior regularly, rarely if ever waxes their paint and rarely if ever shampooes their interior it is not feasable if a profit is the end objective. Full service car washes are successful with these services because they sell to the customer at the tail end of cleaning their vehicle so it has already been prepped before the "express service" is done. They also have little to no overhead for the express detail shop because the car wash carries all the expenses already. We have discussed this topic before AT LENGTH and have heard Chris's version of how he does business. If it works great for Chris and he is happy with where his business is and will be going that's fantastic. However, from my experience in the business over 11 years and networking with some of the most successful detailers in the world I find these services to be a complete and utter waste of time for anyone who plans on making any money detailing. Ask anyone with a successful business in detailing who is around year after year and they'll tell you what works and what doesn't. This idea for detailers is a loser.</HTML>

July 17, 2004 02:23PM
<HTML>Scott:

You clearly see what the concept of Express MAINTENANCE Detailing Services is about.

It is NOT DETAILING as we know it, it is a MAINTENANCE WAX or MAINTENANCE CARPET SHAMPOO.

Yes, a detail shop can perform these services, but they cannot perform the way a carwash can, with the same advantages to the customer:

a. Anytime the customer wants without an appt
b. Fast - the detailer does not have a carwash to quickly wash the car
c. Cheap - as the wash pays the overhead of the business, except labor
and material.

As you say, a detailer can offer a MAINTENANCE service, but why would they want to promote $39.95 services?

The analogy is this!!! The carwash is the mechanic that tunes up engines while detailers are the repair shop that rebuilds engines and might also do tuneups.

Or the carwash is the oral surgeon who pulls teeth and the detail shop is the dentist who fills cavities and cleans teeth.

Both professionals but different aspects of the same business.

Chris seems to want to win the argument that all detailers should be doing detailing like he does.

REgards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
July 17, 2004 08:01PM
<HTML>Chris,

How many "express details" do you do a day? You say Matoon is a very small town right?

My "maintenance details" now take 2 hours about and if I charged $39.99 I'd be out of business. So I prefer to skip maintenance detailing and just do "Complete detailing" w/ protection packages for $175 and up.

Do you have business insurance that allows you to pick up and drop off?

And to do that in an hour (drop off, pick up, wash, wax, vac, quicky shampoo, etc) seems like you are superhuman. What about dry time?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
July 17, 2004 08:14PM
<HTML>Buda.....I am NOT trying to "WIN this argument" on this topic.....just

.... expressing MY opinions & EXPERIENCES on them(over the past year),as I normally do here on the forum .....as you all know by now.....RIGHT?

....AND I DO realize not ALL detailers here will be ABLE to produce the same TYPE results & high-profits I have with MY express detailing services so far..

.....BUT those other FEW detailers who are interested in it & my IDEAS & that want to ENJOY the rewards of targeting a un-taped (by most detailers) the market of the 80% of "non-regular" car care consumers who are NOT normally interested in, or can afford to keep their vehicles appearance maintained properly on a REGULAR basis..ON A WEEKLY OR MONTHLY basis...NOT just once every year or two as most "restoration"detailing operators are experiencing now.

....thus, resulting in the need(demand) of "restoration" detailing services....after they have waited a year or more to finally clean it up & try in restore the damage done from years of NEGLECT & not properly maintaining it from the beginning....

......BUT if they are "educated" properly about the benifits of EXPRESS maintaintance detailing & it's presented properly to them OFFERing them a choice & the SHOWING THEM the value in protecting it from damage in the first place...NOT waiting until a year from now to do it, when the damage is already done...

.....pay a little NOW(with express services) to maintain it properly or PAY allot LATER( with restoration services) to restore it & the damage to it from neglect....IF it can really even be effectively restored to original contition by that time...SOME CAN'T...the damage requires repainting the surface to repair the damage.

....an EXPRESS service that is CONVEINENT & VALUE priced IS attractive to this %80 market.....and there is A NEED for some detailers to meet the demand for it.. IF their capable of producing the results needed maintain this type of fast-paced business.....it can be VERY profitable,TRUST MEsmiling smiley

It can be a SIMPLE & VERY effective one-man operation like mine, that has LOW expenses & HIGH-PROFITS.....OR a ALSO a delux EXPRESS plus DETAIL CENTER....like the quick-lube oil change service centers evolved into.....just depends on your personal desires & needs +start-up capital & market area needs of the city your in.....but either way, BIG or small OPERATION....its can be very profitable to whoever chooses to embrace the concept of EXPRESS DETAILING SERVICES !

GOOD LUCK ! You can do it,if THIS small town operator can do it...out in the middle central ILLINOIS in middle of the cornfeilds in a small city like MATTOON(pop.20,000)

CHECK-OUT MY UPDATED website for MORE info & exactly what services I offer & more on my business....and how I got inspired by others.

.</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
July 17, 2004 09:02PM
<HTML>Brian....to anwer your questions.

#1. YES, I have the proper insurance needed to pick-up & deliver the vehicles I do.It cost me $1250 per/yr. and that covers me for damage I might ACCIDENTALY cause to the vehicle during pick-up & delivery OR when working on it.

#2. I complete 5 EXPRESS details per day(on avg).... at an avg.of $49 total price after the extra express service add-on's(carpet/seats shampoo,dress the interior,road oil removal,etc...)that adds up to avg. $250per/day x 5day/wk=$1250 per/wk x 50 wks/yr=$62,500 gross sales.

#3 DRY TIME is included also in one-hour....when I leave the self-serve car wash, I drive under an automatic air-blower dryer they offer....then when I drive back to my garage,it naturally blow dries the car....or IF bad weather(rain,snow) I just drive back to my garage & just mist/rinse car with plain water to remove any rain/snow spray from street Or other vehicles and then just quickly towel dry off.....takes about 5-10min tops...if its needed.

#4 Am I superhuman?....NO,but I AM much QUICKER & more effective than most detailers I've met & seen in action over the years....most are SLOW & take their time doing it...and work at a slow pace(if working for somebody else)....not an "EXPRESS" fast pace that is required in this type biz...some arent cut out for this type business...and they should stick with what works for them.

.</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
July 18, 2004 02:48AM
<HTML>Scott:

I also feel the same way you do about express details.

I am mobile, I would rather drive to one location for 3-4 hours and walk away with a few hundred, instead of driving to different locations setting up and tear down for less then $100.

There are mobile guys here charging $25-35 for a wash and a wax.
With fuel being around $1.80 a gallon. I have no idea how these guys are making any money.</HTML>

Auto Appearances Inc , Raleigh NC (919) 812-4759
July 18, 2004 03:18AM
<HTML>Paul....your correct...mobile detailing has many disadvantages compared to a fixed location....as you described above.

But if your not washing them on location with your moblie set-up,but rather picking-up & delivering them for the customer....you just drive them to a self-serve car wash on the way....it's ALREADY set-up for you waiting for you to just pull in and wash them as needed....then if you can just finish the hand wax & interior detail with very little set-up needed....at a different location....or even under a shade tree at the park....that's how you can make a profit at $25 to $35 range thats very easy with no equiptment or much gas cost.....I used to do that back in the early days...weather permitting of course.....Worked very well,on nice days!

Its possible EVEN if your mobile,just adapt to the conditions as needed....that all !</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
July 18, 2004 03:22AM
<HTML>Chris,

You're a very nice guy but can you PLEASE stop the caps when stressing a word?

Thanks.

Hey, check out page 3 of this week's issue of Auto Remarketing -- I should learn to smile.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
July 18, 2004 03:45AM
<HTML>Brian....cause you asked so nice...and I like you,no problem....consider it done !

I'll try to refrain from that habit.

Any other suggestions?</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
July 18, 2004 12:14PM
<HTML>There is a desperate idiot that has a sign on every stop light in the gta(greater toronto area)Express deatiling 29.95 ....it used to be 49 .95 ....then 39.95... catch my drift?
I,m like paul who does only full details for top dollars with the exception of a few regulars who i do weekly maintence that are near to where i live and my maintence doesn,t include wax since they are maintained every 3 to 6 months This is where the money is!</HTML>
July 18, 2004 12:41PM
<HTML>Paul,

I have the same beliefs being mobile. I had to explain to a potential customer last week why I can't afford to set up my canopies and washing mat for just one wash. With gas being about 2.50 per gallon, I have a rule that I need 5 washes min., or a detail. So far, I've landed two spots that I go to each week, set up, and work on 5 cars at each place. I have good leads on two more right now.

I see these guys running all over town to wash a car here and there for 15. My newest customer commented that my washes are much more than the other two guys that used to come around. I explained that most likely, those guys 3-4 months down the road began to realize that they really weren't making money. They rarely figure their costs, just start charging a low rate. Well, a few months later after spending money on equip, product, etc. they don't have any left and they disappear.

Rob Regan</HTML>
July 18, 2004 12:47PM
<HTML>My only opinion here is that most cars that I see almost always have some fallout, or something in the paint. The only cars that I could see myself Expressing are regular customers who have had a detail and wash it weekly.

I did a Ford Explorer yesterday and if I simply waxed after washing the surface would have felt like crap and because the surface wasn't really clean/even, the wax would have left streaks.

Rob Regan</HTML>
July 18, 2004 01:57PM
<HTML>Been doing Express Mobile Detailing for years and is a great money maker! Ecspecially on my corporate accounts!</HTML>
July 19, 2004 02:24PM
<HTML>Chris:

Thanks for the advice, but I don't drive customer vehicles.

I don't need the trouble of worring about checking the vehicle for valid registeration, and inspection.

If those two are invaild, I get the ticket!!!

Thanks anyway</HTML>

Re: ANY opinions...things to make sure of,before you drive-off !
July 19, 2004 11:54PM
<HTML>Paul:Good point !

But,The type of customers I normally deal with(my regulars) are very law abiding people & responsible car owners & always have the vaild registration(in the vehicle)& current license plate sticker displayed on the vehicle.But...just to be safe, I always confirm those two things are in & on the vehicle before I drive off.
...... state vehicle inspections(smog/muffler/emissions) stickers are not required in Illinois for passenger vehicles.

and also... to play it safe & make sure your legal....I always ask them first(if needed)....if there is any mechanical problems with the vehicle or any special circumstances....no turn signals,brake lights,etc....I should know about.....Before taking off & getting the ticket!

... then inspect for yourself & confirm by testing them out, that all the basic vehicles operating systems(motor running properly,brakes work,turn signals-brake lights work,etc...) needed to be legal & safe-reliable are operating correctly as needed.....take no chances,confirm it yourself !

.....and also,always(if a new client & a stranger to you or a non-regular) make sure there is nothing Illegal in the vehicle, no matter who it is or how they look(bad or good),always confirm it by searching it for yourself,before driving off and possibly getting pulled over & being held responsible by law for the contents inside it(hidden by veiw from you)...no matter if you did'nt know anything about it & it was the clients stuff and you did'nt know it was inside the vehicle,dosent matter.....your responsible to know whats inside it,by law....before you drive it away!

.....if supicious of a new client who is a stranger to you & someone you don't know personally or somebody you don't trust...just ask them nicely first,if you can search the vehicle interior & contents for Illegal Items in it...and then pay attention to their reaction to that question...most will just laugh-it off,of course(if hidding nothing inside it) & say "sure,no problem,go ahead and search it,if you need too"...if they are acting parinoid,be suspicious & careful!

....but if they say its ok with them to search it,go ahead & confirm it by completely searching the normal hidden hiding spots for any Illeagal items.

....such as hidden drugs stashed under dash or under console compartment,pipes/contraband in console compartment,roaches in ash tray is very common place to look for sure...residue on discarded small peices of tin foil,bent-up pop-cans with pin-holes,poked in them & black residue on them,etc ......if you find anything Illeagal....either, leave right away if you feel your in danger from them(whithout letting them know you found anything in it) or just simply tell the person to remove it from the vehicle...so you dont get in trouble for it....when your driving it,thats all...no big deal...but, if you think it warrants reporting them to police,thats a personal choice you must make if you think they are a danger to your community(like meth users or crack heads,hard drugs,etc...) or it's just...who for example....somebody who accidentally left a roach in the ashtray...and no big deal...its a personal choice if you report them,in my opinion.

....Just play it safe,bottom line.....before you take possesion of somebody elses vehicle & drive off not knowing for sure what's in it....then be held responsible for the contents in the vehicle,by law as the driver of it !

Better to be safe & search it first....than sorry you did'nt search it later....trust me ! You might be explaining something they find if your pulled over...and you knew nothing about...and if your not beleived by the police....
that could be a legal problem for you...to say the the least....maybee even jail....happens all the time...someone borrows somebodys car,and gets pulled over & charged for the illegal possesions in it,without being aware they were there.</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
July 20, 2004 12:39AM
<HTML>Express detail at my shop consist of the fellows doing a full detail in 3 hours....ha ha yha !</HTML>
July 20, 2004 01:24AM
<HTML> Chris:

That is why I don't do it.

Now, Think of all the time you must spend with the customer asking them al the questions about their vehicle. Then you do your search of the vehicle.

I could be well into my full detail by the time you drive off.

We just have diferent opinions here.

But hey again thanks for the advice and I did save the thread for future referance.</HTML>

July 20, 2004 02:39AM
<HTML>Paul:

The questions I ask them & also the complete vehicle inspection takes me about 5 minutes to complete on average for a vehicle from a regular customer.

....and 10-15min. on a new, first time customer(one time only)....that includes a complete vehicle inspection & complete search of interior of vehicle.

I doubt you can get set-up & "on your way"in 5 min. for your detail job, can you?....

.....plus it only takes me about another 10min. to do the hand washing & bug splatter removal at the self-serve car wash..

...i'm usally done picking-up the vehicle & done with the wash & in my garage starting the inside in under 15min. from the time of pick-up...most the time with my regular vehicles.

....then 15min avg. on the inside vac/windows/dust dash/wipe door seals....then another 5min to dress tires/wipe off wheels &..

.... 15min to hand wax...its done & always looks great,(according to my customers) !....then 5min to deliver it back to them and 5min to chit chat & collect the money ...thats it !

....one-hour complete for my Express detail service,tops....then it's off to pick-up another one to do right after that one.....three in the morning on avg.....and two in the afternoon...for a total of 5 vehicels on an avg day....five days a week....that my normal weekly routine....25 vehicles on avg per/week(100 current per/mo/avg) and I love it and so do my customers,trust me! .....my phone is ringing off the hook lately,i'm now at 75% capacity and predicting 100% full-capacity during the fall busy season coming up soon !

WILLIAM:

...your shop sounds like the typical detail shops ive seen over the years....taking two or more "fellows" .....3 hours or more hours sometimes....to do a complete int/ext. detail(everything)....when it could take just one motivated & effeicent detailer the same amount of time to do it,as two or three average detailers take,if properly motivated.

I can complete, a(quality) int/ext detail on a mid-sized car(everything,bumper to bumper)
.....in 3 hours by myself,with no problems !....and,if it is really in bad condition or a full-size vehicle......takes,4 hours tops to do

.....so two guys doing the same thing i do in 3 hrs alone is normal for a typical detail shop,in my experience in the past hiring detailers or watching other local detailers in action....most are very slow in my opinion,it can be done much faster...two trained & motivated detailers, it should take 1.5 hrs tops for a complete detail ...2 hours if its bad condition or big vehicle, in my opinion.

....most avg detailers take their time when working for others by the hour only and not motivated by a bonus or commission per/car+hourly wage...in my experience....most are very slow at what they do,and can do it much faster,if properly motivated with money & proper management & of course much praise for the work they do.....but I prefer to do all the work myself and avoid the headache & expense of employes alltogether....its not worth the extra expenses they cost or liability they cause you....I'm not using others to do a job i'm still able to do on my own & still enjoy it & can still do it very well .....when I can't do it any more,I'll hire indepedant contractors to do it & hopefully my son can continue what I started in the future!

I'm a true one-man Express detailing operation currentally,thats very srong & lean & still hungry for more business! Other detail shops in my town don't even try to compete with me anymore in the express market,they can't produce the same quality results I do, at the same price I offer it for....so they just stick to the only way they can operate at a profit...high-overhead expenses...low-volume / high-end details.....but I own the express detail market in my town.....with no challangers in sight so far....good luck if they try...I welcome a challange....if they dare to try !

.</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login