Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Sealer recommendations?

Posted by Brian Busch 
Sealer recommendations?
July 16, 2004 07:26PM
<HTML>I know you guys are the pros, so I thought I'd ask even though I'm not in the biz. What kind of wax or sealer would you recommend for a black pickup truck and black/stainless steel 30ft horse trailer? These are both brand new; I have to park them outside in fairly intense sun, and they get a lot of tree sap and rain and everything else on them. I'd like to keep the paint looking good for as long as possible, so I was wondering if there was a good UV blocking paint sealer/wax out there that also will shine up and protect the paint.

Thanks-
Brian</HTML>
Re: Sealer recommendations?
July 17, 2004 01:22AM
<HTML>Easiest for the consumer to get, one that does hold up, etc is good old Nu-Finish Liquid.

Not the "paste", get the liquid version.

Easy to use, easy to wipe off the indicators, just don't get it on "ANY BLACK TRIM" or you will be one unhappy consumer.

There are many products out there that will do the job, just that since I was involved in the formulation a number of years back, know what is in it, cleans, polishes and protects.</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
July 17, 2004 10:11AM
<HTML>Zaino sealant and Einszett GlanzSynthetic Wax are very long lasting-
No cleaners
No abrasives
No polishes
Protection only

For a "One Step" type produce, Klasse All in One Works great-
Contains cleaners</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
July 17, 2004 12:31PM
<HTML>Really not a big fan of Zaino, at least for this job. I put 10 coats of that on my S2000, and it looks great/performs great, but was a serious PITA to apply and I could not imagine doing such a huge job with it. Plus it's a little expensive.

What about a boat wax like Collinite, or Dolphinite? Anyone use it on a car?

I've read on this forum about Diamond Plus, is it a UV blocker? At $22 a gallon I won't need to buy anymore for a couple years :-)

Thanks-
Brian</HTML>
July 17, 2004 12:33PM
<HTML>I'm a little freaked out by Nu-Finish, it's supposed to badly stain black trim and I've got A LOT of black trim, plus it's kinda toxic to, right? I just thought something better would have come along in the last 20 years.</HTML>
July 17, 2004 01:22PM
<HTML>Brian try going to Detailplus.com and get your self a jug of Bud A's Diamond Plus. I have had very good luck with his stuff. Its easy on and easy off. He also has a good Q&A on his forum there as well.
P.S. His Sealer is both very easy on and very easy off. Scored in the top 5 in protection testing.............. Hope this helps :-) Brandy</HTML>
July 17, 2004 02:06PM
<HTML>It's solvent system is what creates the "staining issue", however that solvent system is what does the "cleaning" as far as being overly abrasive, that is plain bull, has some super floss, some rare earths in it, but nothing that is "abrasive" to the point of removing clear.

Toxic, well, most over the counter products that "clean, polish and protect" have some hazadous components, but very few contain "toxic" components and there are none in this product.

If you use 409 around the house, that has a "toxic" component, as do most all purpose cleaners, since they use a butyl cellosolve for a surfactant in them.

Mequiar's has some good protectants that a consumer can get, Eagle One, on and on, and easily found at a local mass market store close to you.

Ketch</HTML>

July 17, 2004 02:11PM
<HTML>Since everyone else is advertising a "product", I will step in and give a thumbs up for our ValuGard Finishing Wax for the project.

Don't care to do this, but it is available in a pint or a gallon, and we now private label it for a couple of the vehicle manufacturers as well, so "no toxins, no carcenigenics, very protective, long lasting, and easy to use.

Our other product, available in quarts, is the OEM One Step, which was developed for Ford Motor Company's in plant use on new vehicles.

We also private label this product for Delta Sonic, it is the product they use as their "Maintance Detail" product, as well as the final sealant for full details, have for 6 years. Easy on, easy off.

Not quite as long lasting as Finishing Wax, but still one of our top sellers.

Ketch</HTML>

July 17, 2004 04:44PM
<HTML>Brian,
If your goal is something that does not stain trim...,
Again, there is Klasse, Glanz, P21S, S100, Zaino to name a few...

I know what you mean about stains, it is much easier and quicker for me to apply without worrying about staining trim..., as a matter of fact, I just apply, remove and I am through, no "detailing after detailing" or pre detail taping of trim.

Here is a link to a mini "Guru" type test-
[bimmer.roadfly.org];

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
Talk to me Grump! Re: Sealer recommendations?
July 17, 2004 06:51PM
<HTML>Grumpy; the ValuGard Wax "U" refer to,is it just a maintenance wax, or is does it have a long lasting protection,as does Bud's Sealant? I'm to "GD" old for Dog and Pony Shows, window dressing and all of the rest of that "BS" , if you know what I mean.
P.S. Grumpy is your company going to have a tent at the All American Soap Box Derby World Finals Race at Akron, Ohio the week of the 26th-31st. I delievered our entry car there yesterday,and was quite impressed with the notoriority from all of the Vendors world wide that will be there. If your going to be there look me up or tell me where you'll be.....:-) Brandy !
2nd P.S. Buda we got a coats of your Diamond Plus on the car. This event is televised on ESPN. If our car wins I'll be the one in the Pits and Winners Circle waving to the cameras,using "ALL" my fingers--If not, you'll probably be seeing me waving at the camera using a lesser amount of fingers..:-) Brandy!</HTML>
Re: Talk to me Grump! Re: Sealer recommendations?
July 17, 2004 07:50PM
<HTML>Brian,

You only need one coat of sealant, not 10. Your arm must've been hurting after applying all those coats -- 10 coats is OVERKILL and wasting product.

As for Dolphinite, I really wish it was included in Bud's test. I would've submitted had I known such as test was going to be done. Dolphinite is made for boats, cars and plane but was formulated for boats and the salt water/UV beating they take. Reason I wish it was on the test was to see how it compared in the salt water corrosion process.

Before I tried Bud's Diamond Plus, I always used Dolphinite on my Jeep and boating customers cars with excellent results. Only thing I don't like about Dolphinite is the price, hehe. $45 a gallon -- and that's with my 15% suppliers discount -- retail it's $69.95 a gallon.

Still have yet to try Ron's paint sealant but shall use the sample I got very soon. Thanks again for the samples Ron!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
July 17, 2004 10:36PM
<HTML>Eric, since we do not have a "retail" line under our name, we do not attend consumer events, we let the companies who we make products for that are in the consumer market place do that.

The Finishing Wax, lasts a long, long time, the key is to not try and put it on in a heavy coat and let it "cure".

It was developed for bodyshop use, so does not have an active solvent system to clean with as do most sealants or liquid waxes, a real key for use on fresh paints.

I have been using it on my black Gran Marquis for the past two years or so, find that while it will exhibit washing marks, as do any, the protection is staying in place for no less than 6 months, which is when I usually throw another coat on the car.

Plus, that is just my observation, not an independant lab test, however.

With a 16% polyaminosiloxane resin content, it has shown in independant lab test done by a couple of vehicle manufactuers to still have protective qualities at 9 months to a year.

We knew it was good when we did the base formulation, but since we did it for the PF BodyShop line, had no idea that it would be quite this good.

The Collinite products are very, very good by the way, especially their Insulating Wax. Really robust of a product.

Ketch</HTML>

July 17, 2004 11:10PM
<HTML>Yeah, tell me about it. With all the hoops Zaino makes you jusmp through (proper temperature range, proper ratio of activator, time limit on application, etc...) it was a weekend project. Everyone I was talking to in the S2000 club here that was using it was all about "gotta have 10 coats to really see it work"; I really fell for that line o bull. But I'll tell ya, the bugs come off with just the hose ;-)</HTML>
July 17, 2004 11:12PM
<HTML>Thanks Ketch, The finishing wax sounds like something I should take a look at. I'll check out your website.</HTML>
Polisher?
July 17, 2004 11:16PM
<HTML>I probably should ask under a new subject, but what do you guys recommend for a polisher? I've read the porter cable random orbit polisher is really good, but is it that much better than a 'walmart special' random orbit polisher?</HTML>
Re: Polisher?
July 18, 2004 12:09AM
<HTML>I use air drive some, but it gets cold quick. I normally just grab my new Mikata. Its gotta soft start,and a "Big D" handle the eleminates some of the strain. I'm knot knocking the "RA's,but you can adj the speed with the varible Makita............................:-) Brandy !</HTML>
July 18, 2004 03:39AM
<HTML>Ketch.....how much do you charge "detailers" for your paint sealant (part # VG-102)?

......the price list I recieved from you had it priced at $141.88 per case of 12(3.5oz bottles) that breaks down to about $3.37per/oz...that= about $12 per / 3.5oz bottle or a single (avg.) vehicle treatment for $12.

that =about $500per/gal at that rate...with shipping charges.

Is that the correct price for you paint sealant($500 a gal)?</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
ColesCountyAutoDetailing.com
July 18, 2004 04:12AM
<HTML>Auto International 's paint sealant is a warranty product. That should have something to do with pricing.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
ValuGuard (vg-102)$500 per gal. paint sealant?
July 18, 2004 05:04AM
<HTML>Ketch....can you clear this up?....is that why it cost so much ?because it's a warranty product or what? and,why does that increase the price, so much?

Some in the chemical biz here....have told me in private emails....that "there is no technology in a paint sealant worth that much money"

Why is does it cost so much....please explain?

Is it really worth that much to a professional detailer?</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
ColesCountyAutoDetailing.com
Re: ValuGuard (vg-102)$500 per gal. paint sealant?
July 18, 2004 02:52PM
<HTML>"there is no technology in a paint sealant worth that much money"

Who would have that kind of info?
I am guessing it is someone in the paint or chemical business?

Just curious, interesting subjectsmiling smiley</HTML>

www.waynestowels.com
July 18, 2004 02:57PM
<HTML>Chris, as Brian explained, it is a "warrantied" product, we are responsible for the warranty, like life insurance.

That adds costs, especially since we are not there when the detailer applies the product, we don't see the condition of the vehicle etc.

The resin system used is much more expensive than in normal sealant, has to be in order to hold up.

This is the same product we produce for Daimler Chrysler under the Master Shield product brand name, and have since the early 80's.

The product is not really intended for "detailers" to market, but for new vehicle dealers who resell it at a very high profit.

Just part of the food chain of the auto business, like extended warranties, service contacts, etc.

These "have to perform" do as stated, since the customer has legal rights if it fails and we have a legal obligation to make it right when something goes wrong.

This is an area that is not for most detailers, although we have allowed a few select, proven detail technicans to take part in the program.

Ketch</HTML>

July 18, 2004 03:10PM
<HTML>Wayne, I can well imagine who that person was.

What they have a problem with maybe that they have never been able to get into this particular market, plus they do not actually have their own staff of degreed and trained chemists, but rely on others to manufacturer their products, looking first at "cost of product", so they can sell to their "market".

That is all well and good, as long as they take a moment to reflect on the real facts.

One being that in the new car dealerships today, not much money is made on the vehicle sale it's self, but from "extended warranty contracts, finance paper, service contracts and accessories sales.

As far as "not being worth it", that is an opinion that anyone may chose to have and that is fine.

All I can add, is this.

At present, there are in excess of, as of June 30th, 2004, aprox 27,000,000 plus vehicles around the world that have had my firm's warrantied paint sealant applied to them. The product may have been sold under either our brand name, Nissan's, DaimlerChrysler's, Renault's, etc.

The present formula is not the same as what we original made, but is now on it's 6th generation, and a new 7th generation is about to be launched.

This is important, for as the enviorment changes, the paint system's change, etc, we must keep pace.

A "true and valid testing process/protocal" by an independant lab costs in excess of $6,000 today, for ONE product.

Not a group of products that are subject to a series of washing to sort of determine how these products hold up, but for "ONE" product.

These tests include such things as using a minimum of 5 different paint system panels, at least one being a refinish system, long term UV/weathering testing, accelerated UV/weathering tests, xeon gas testing, etc, etc.

The "protocal" for the test is over 5 type written pages long.

All that does make a difference.

Let em all rave on, we have been in this warrantied product business since 1980, and profitable and successful, so we must be doing something right.

Ketch</HTML>

July 18, 2004 06:26PM
<HTML>Nice postsmiling smiley

I just want to be sure I understand...,
There "really is" new technology in paint and paint protection???

We have been led to believe that there is NO NEW Technology when it comes to this subject..., it has been preached for a long time and I am interested in learning more about the "NEW Stuff" smiling smiley

(BTW, I am also interested in trying out some of the longer lasting sealant)
When is a good time to contact you?
Thankssmiling smiley</HTML>

www.waynestowels.com
Autoint online store
July 18, 2004 10:08PM
<HTML>Just a reminder to the Valugard staff,

The online store at autoint.com is still down. Would like to see the prices of these warrantied products.</HTML>
Re: Autoint online store
July 18, 2004 11:37PM
<HTML>Wayne, new resins, which require new ways of emulisfiing into products are introduced every month, however, what a "lab chemist" finds to be able to apply to "user products" is not always that easy.

This is an area that is very involved, once you stop and think about the million or so "applicators" that will use the product, their lack of diagnoistic skills, and in reality, in-ability to follow simple written directions.

A company may find the "perfect" application method, process, but to get the many, many that will actually use it, and DO IT RIGHT, tough row to hoe!

Just look around this forum, the questions asked, and how many you find to be so simple that you wonder why they would even take the time to type it out.

We, how actually formulate, blend and manufacturer products are also scratching our heads quite often as to "WTF?" when we read the letters, emails, take the phone calls.

Read, understand, think, then do, how simple is that.

It is not rocket science, it is logic, and following directions, after using one's knowledge, which creates "diagnoistic" skills", than the process.

Ketch</HTML>

July 18, 2004 11:44PM
<HTML>Bill, our price list is only provided to members of the Trusted Professional Detailer's group, which we created and monitor.

We are not a company that depends on "new detailers', nor long time detailers, nor "consumer's purchases" for our company.

AI formulates and produces car care products for vehicle manufacturers, large quanity users, and "private label" customers.

To receive a price list, the detailer must subscribe to the "mission statement" of a Trusted Professional Detailer and uphold the ethics and performance of that committment.

Ketch</HTML>

July 18, 2004 11:52PM
<HTML>Bill,
One other thing, that is "IMPORTANT".

When the "store" does get back up, the "prices" are not the ones that professional detailers pay, and for sure, not the ones that the Trusted Professional Detailers pay.

The prices that will be put up, are for "consumers", and I do believe that you can appreciate that, why would we want to take away profit opportunities from you or any dedicated professional in this detailing business?

Ketch</HTML>

July 19, 2004 12:20AM
<HTML>Cool!!

I "thought" it was more than "simple chemistry" as we have been led to believe over the last few years and with all the new technology and products, including paint (which, IMO is what the products "should" be designed to work onsmiling smiley
Some would say you are calling it a "magic formula" as it sounds "different" from most...

I know what you are saying about "following the directions".
For example..., some protectants you allow to haze before buffing off, some light haze, some remove in 4 minutes or less, some allow to dry for an hour, some, wait 30-60 seconds, etc, etc...,
how many times does someone ask "when" to buff off and 99% of the time the "generic" answer is- after it hazes..., not always the case.

I, like you said, am a believer in "following the directions"..., after all, if the designer and manufacturer of a product does not know the best way it works after extensive research and development as well as much time testing the product..., who else would have that information!! smiling smiley

Good "Signature, I agree 100%smiling smiley

I will give you a call or email sometime this week...</HTML>

www.waynestowels.com
July 19, 2004 12:57AM
<HTML>Thanks, Wayne,

I am usually available from 9 AM to around 4 PM.

Here is a guide line for you and the others.

If the "product" hazes and wipes off clean really quit, no "oily" look to the surface, the product is mostly solvent and a bit of the inexpensive version of the PDMS.

A quality product requires time to have the slower solvent system to evaporate, so the "resin" may become in contact with "air", which is the actual "cross-linker--catalist" of any polymer based resin.

If the solvent is still there, it hinders the "cure" of the resin.

Think of the modern "down draft" paint booth.

The heat is just to speed up the evaporation of the solvents, the "down draft" part is the continual movement of air around the vehicle , which creates or provides the opportunity of the "true" cure of the modern polymer based paints.

Ketch</HTML>

July 19, 2004 12:05PM
<HTML>Ketch,

Sounds good. I've heard from pros and enthusiasts like that like your products. Looking forward to seeing.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login