Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

cermaiclear

Posted by ben smith 
cermaiclear
July 17, 2004 05:51AM
<HTML>
I have a client who owns a new MB cl600 12 cylinder(nice car).
I believe it has the new cermicllear coating on it. It is black and when you wash it, there are virtually no spider web scratches on it. This paint is amazing. Question is this 1) It has a few areas with buffer swirls from a body shop. Do you use the same techniques to polish it? 2) Is this stuff available on the aftermarket and how expensive is it? 3)If you get a spot repair done on a vehicle with a cermaiclear do they have to put cerimiclear on the repair or can they use standard clear?</HTML>
Re: cermaiclear
July 17, 2004 02:20PM
<HTML>Regarding the "refinish material" for Cerimalcear, it is NOT the same, can not be done at this point.

We are presently working with PPG as they move towards introduction of a "refinish version" of this clear.

OEM applied clears must be actually "baked" today at around 300F, and the body does not have all the other components attached, no interior, no rubber seals, no motor, etc, is is a "white body".

Refinish material today requires "air" as it catalist, the small amount of heat in a bodyshop's "down draft" booth is there to create evaporation of the solvents, the "down draft" booth creates substanstanial air movement over the vehicle, "curing-catalizing" the clear and other subsurface applications.

We have a fairly new compound polish for the OEM clear, developed in conjuntion with PPG, the supplier of the Cermiaclear while is was still in development.

It is called Cerrious Compound and Polish, as it works as both on this clear, plus may be used on conventional high solid clears.

You can read about it at www.autoint.com under Body Shop Products section of the site.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
July 17, 2004 08:05PM
<HTML>Thought I'd share some interesting information I've come across through some research I've been doing on the ceramic/nano clearcoats.

[www.germancarfans.com];

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
July 18, 2004 10:33PM
<HTML>I recently took a tour of Meguiars HQ in Irvine, Ca. I saw a bunch of panels sent in either by MBZ or their paint manufactuer of the new paint to test Meguiars ability to polish them out.

Meguiars found out that some of the test panels had paint that was too hard and recommended that the paint be "softer".

Meguiars "80 series" line of compounds and polish will work on the new paint.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
July 18, 2004 11:28PM
<HTML>Hell, Joe, I was seeing that 3 years ago from the panels I worked on from PPG, the supplier, too hard.

They knew it, but were looking for a "medium" that could be dealt with, sounds like the boys in Irvine got sent some of the old panels.

It is a different animal, that is for sure.

Ketch</HTML>

July 19, 2004 12:34AM
<HTML>The panels they had were old panels. The testing was long over with and we got to play with them.

They did have new stuff from Honda to play with. Do you know anything about Hondas new paint?

I am not looking forward to polishing that stuff out. You really have to follow the rules when fooling with that stuff.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
July 19, 2004 12:47AM
<HTML>I love the "new technology" stuff!!!
Constantly evolving and learning something new...,
Glad to have Ketch aboard to keep us updated on all the new stuff..., I really appreciate it as I love learning newer ideas, products, techniques and technology!!!

Maybe one day i will go to the "prep-excellence" school just for the updated stuff..., If I learn one new thing, it is worth it to mesmiling smiley

Thanks for keeping us all updated on new stuff!!!</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
July 19, 2004 12:51AM
<HTML>Yeah, the first OEM stuff was so hard, that they recognized that it was a concern for many reasons.

Plus, as you may have found out, it is only a micron or so thick, then you get into the soft part of the clear.

Not really up on the version they are bidding to Honda, but would guess it is pretty close to what DCX is going to use on their upper priced models shortly.

They are still working on a "refinish" material to apply when the vehicles are required to go to a bodyshop for repainting.

We worked it sometime ago, when it came to buffing it.

I just haven't had time to get back up to Strongville, with the "engineer's", to present what their Tech Center in Troy and we have found with our Cerrious product.

Been rather busy with some Federal Recalls that a couple of manufacturers are having with corossion concerns, and that is a lot more profitable for us than a few hundred gallons of compound.

Anyway, we found that the "lambs wool" pad and the Cerrious takes out any marring without getting down into the "soft-porus" part of the clear, then follow up with the same product and a polishing foam pad.

If the technican get's impatient, moves to a "blended yarn" or "pure wool yarn" pad, let alone a "cutting foam" pad, they may easily remove the one or two micron of the hard part of the clear.

If black or dark color, it may be necessary to use the "Clearcoat Polish" and the polishing foam pad to make it as close to perfect as can be attained, without using the phoney "glazes and filler products".

Ketch</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login