Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Wheel Cleaners - Haze problem

Posted by BRUHA 
Wheel Cleaners - Haze problem
July 18, 2004 08:27PM
<HTML>It seems like no matter which wheel cleaner I use, I always develop some type of haze on my wheels (these are factory wheels of a 2001 Lincoln LS). I follow the products directions as closely as possible (I never let the product dry on the wheel and I dry with a towel as soon as I rinse) but there's always a haze that appears. What are some of the best wheel cleaners that will help me avoid these problems??? Thanx.</HTML>
Re: Wheel Cleaners - Haze problem
July 19, 2004 12:08AM
<HTML>Sounds to me, from your description, which is not all that good, but will attempt to deal with.

Did you purchase the vehicle new?
Do or has the vehicle been put through "car washes" which may use some mean wheel cleaners.
Did the wheels exhibit this condition immediately after you bought it and washed the vehicle?

Based upon your post, it would appear that the wheels powdercoat clear was damaged very early on in the vehicles life, and a wax or some other "glaze" was applied to hide the condition, but until any of us know more, very difficult to provide an intelligent diagnois.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
<HTML>I bought the car November 2003. While in my possession, the car has only been through a car wash one time. I am not sure how the prior owner(s) cared for the car. I don't think that the prior owner(s) cared for the car with a lot of care because there were many chips, swirls and marks in the paint. I am thinking of replacing the current wheels with the stock 2003 silver Lincoln LS wheels. I really don't like the 2001 wheels, but until I buy new ones, I at least want them to look good.</HTML>
July 19, 2004 06:20AM
<HTML>When I first started out I was frustrated with some wheels that left a haze and even looked water spotted. I did the same thing..rinsed and dried right away.

Then I was told and was sorry I didn't think of it...the wheels were clear coated, I believe. I now use a paint cleaner/polish and it works very well. I did two cars in the last week where after washing there was a haze. I used the clearcoat safe paint cleaner and it really cleared them.

Try a spot and see if that helps.

R Regan</HTML>
July 19, 2004 01:58PM
<HTML>BruHa; I had some of your problems with a few customers cars as well.I had already purchased a jug of "One Step" from DetailPlus, which is a combined cleaner/polish/sealant. I tried it out, and this ,as Robby Regan said took care of the problem. You may also want to get a Polishing Ball as well, this is a Detailer needed tool. It works into all the nooks and crannies,it won't get all of em but most. I've also experimented with the polishing Ball on the Plastic rearview mirrows,and with a dabb of the "One Step", it makes em look like new again. The "One Step" Product, also has some of the Diamond Plus Sealant into the Mix as well. Makes the next cleaning very simple and no Haze PERIOD!....:-) Brandy</HTML>
July 19, 2004 11:30PM
<HTML>
Brandy, I have some of that product and will try it tomorrow and see how it goes. Where did you get the polishing ball? I should get one. It's Flitz, yes?

I took some pics today of my set up that I'll have in one hour. I'm speaking to Porsche Club of America (50 members locally) Wed. night and am finishing up my PowerPoint presentation...little nervous, but really excited!

Rob</HTML>

&quot;Put your car in the Winner's Circle&quot;
WC Detailing Products
Cyclo, MF Towels, Clay, and more!
visit: www.winnerscircledetailingproducts.com
Come back Rob Regan - Haze problem
July 20, 2004 12:17AM
<HTML>Rob; iwas going to get a flitz off Buda, but the local 3M pedler came by the Shop and ask if we'd seen one,and telling how good they work. He is right, they are very good,you can make Checker Plate Aluminum look like a chrome job very quick. They work wonders on Plastic coated wheels also. I sent Buda a How-Do-You-Do-It and this treatment was what he recommended to me Robby!. I already had a couple jugs of the One-Step, so I gave the flitz Ball and the Snake Oil a try> It worked just like Buda said it would,and possible a little better. My sacrificial Lamb set of wheels got an A+ from the customer,as they could believe that I got them to shine as good as they did when new. I think now that Bud sells them,but he doesn't have them listed on the web site yet. I think that he sells them they for about $20.00 + shipping. Robby you seem to purchase quite a bit of product from Buda, get him to throw in some metal polish with the Flitz Ball!Tell him I recommended him to do that for you.....Ha,Ha.......:-) Brandy</HTML>
Come back Rob Regan - Haze problem
July 20, 2004 12:24AM
<HTML>Rob; I was going to get a Flitz off Buda, but the local 3M pedler came by the Shop and ask if we'd seen one,and telling how good they work. He is right, they are very good,you can make Checker Plate Aluminum look like a chrome job very quick. They work wonders on Plastic coated wheels also. I sent Buda a How-Do-You-Do-It and this treatment, was what he recommended to me Robby!. I already had a couple jugs of the One-Step, so I gave the flitz Ball and the Snake Oil a try. It worked just like Buda said it would,and possible a little better. My sacrificial lamb set of wheels, got an A+ from the customer,as they couldn't believe, that I got them to shine as good as they did, when new. I think now that Bud sells them,but he doesn't have them listed on the web site yet. I think that he sells them they for about $20.00 + shipping. Robby you seem to purchase quite a bit of product from Buda, get him to throw in some metal polish with the Flitz Ball! Tell him I recommended him to do that for you.....Ha,Ha.......:-) Brandy The rest of you guys on the forum, I know you all have many tools,but if you don't have a Flitz Ball you damn sure ought to get one.</HTML>
Re: Come back Rob Regan - Haze problem
July 20, 2004 04:35AM
<HTML>Brandy,

I just found my $21 credit from Irene at TOL. I'm using it for the ball and can't wait to try it out.</HTML>
<HTML>Thanx for all of the advice...I definitely think that I am going to get a polishing ball this weekend.</HTML>
Re: Come back Rob Regan - Haze problem
July 21, 2004 12:11AM
<HTML>If they aren't not pitted, or really heavy damage, you can just use by hand a "clearcoat" compound and a terry cloth towel and remove the most of the "powder coat clear" damage.

Have some plain old, under the sink, rubbing alcohol, handy to clean and remove any of the buffing oils, to see if you are getting the job done.

Once you have rubbed the top surface of the damage off, and are pleased with the results, then use whatever "polish" you might have around and "polish" the wheels, clean with the alcohol and if happy, put on a coat of whatever you apply to the vehicles paint surfaces.

It is not always necessary to spend money for what may be a really simple fix.

If the "hand job" doesn't do it, by all means go for whatever "tool" you feel might make things right.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login