Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Detailing Service Check off list.

Posted by Eric Brandenburg 
Detailing Service Check off list.
July 22, 2004 11:15AM
<HTML>Do any of you Detailers use one of these check off lists, and go over the items on the check off list. I down loaded and printed off one of Ron Ketchum's ck lists. It was so full of detail and attention that I over looked the trunk area. Ron pointed that out to me, that they forgot it too. Being new to this business other than always cleaning my own vehicles, I tend to assume alot of things.I also make some posts here, and assume some of the points I/we discuss,you already know, because most of you have done this work for very long time. Example was talking about polishing up wheels the other day and i forgot to add ,to be sure to clean them after buffing with alcohol or MS to make sure they are cleaning up,. I just didn't think to do that,and this is what the check off list can do for you. Hell you can formulate one for about any job, kinda like a Grocery List!!!!!
Getting back to the check off list, I formulated one of these for my Daughters Automotive Tire and Service Business for her to use. It not only is a major Tool for You to use to manage the business, but also makes you look more professional, especially when you cover each item with the customer,and when the customer questions Why This?, or Why That?, you can give a professional answer,thus giving the customer the confidence that you know what you are talking about, and they feel secure that they will get their moneys worth.
Grump and Buda have said many times stop long enough to reverse the rolls,and stand in the customers shoes...................:-) Brandy</HTML>
Re: Detailing Service Check off list.
July 22, 2004 06:01PM
<HTML>It would be pretty cool if we could get a nicely designed check in and quality control checklist done by a talented graphic designer. Not just a homemade jobby but a really slick looking one. I'll bug my graphic designer and see what he says.</HTML>

Re: Detailing Service Check off list.
July 22, 2004 08:11PM
<HTML>Thanks for answering my post Scotty.I got the check off list from Grump's web site (Autoint) I found full of info,and a very useful tool. Years ago when I worked with the rotating equipment group at the refinery developing a check off sheet for each operations shift to use when checking over their equipment. We took viberations checks,oil temps/pressure readings,process data utilitiess usage,and all of the rest. I apologize for going off here, as its easy to talk about something that you know about,and long since worked with,not unlike you guys with the detailing and finish correction knowledge. Getting back to the check off list,I copied and made one up for our body Shop use,also laminated it,so we kept one on the wall at the detail shop. I found it quite useful,as I've got 2 winters less than Grump,and most of the time I can't remember sh!t. I made one up for my daughters shop folks to use,and they all seem to have bought into using it and how much of a useful tool it can be. There are to many distractions,telephones ringing here, there,and Yonder,someone asking questions,about something besides the job,and someone else waving their hands for you to come to them to answer something else.You know exactly what I'm referring to. I would appreciate you setting this up,and I know the other guys would as well!........Hmmmmmm,well almost all of us anyway................:-) Brandy !</HTML>
<HTML>Brandy...

I looked around on Ketch's website and can't find the checklist you're referring to. Could ya post a link?

Steve</HTML>

Scotty did you look over the Safety Posting I did?
July 22, 2004 08:18PM
<HTML>I know things are getting tight with protecting some People from them selves.How is it where you are?????????.... Do they swoop in/down if a fire truck shows up or the utilities company,to check you out, as well as your documentation?.......................................... :-) Brandy</HTML>
Detailing Check off List!
July 22, 2004 08:24PM
<HTML>Steve go to Autoint.com> when it comes up click on Tech Tips,then scroll doen about 1/3 page to Check List just below an Environmental Tech Tip. Grump did another good job here. If you stop and think,its as Grump says listen to your head,and anyone with a minimal amount of knowledge could have made up the same thing, it ain't rocket science. Thank the Lord for Old Timers like Buda and Grump......................... Brandy !</HTML>
<HTML>Brandy...got it. Thanks and special thanks to Ketch for making it available.

As you say...it ain't rocket science but, on the other hand, why try to reinvent the wheel? I'm sure most of us will make a few changes to fit our particular situations but it sure is nice to have 90% of the work already done for ya.</HTML>

Re: Detailing Check off List!
July 23, 2004 12:19AM
<HTML>That list is quite interesting. I will study it in detail and see if I can use it to improve my own system.

Scott, I am a graphic designer and I'm in charge of turning everything into fool proof systems at our company. We have taken a diffternt approach to this check list.

Today we were writing new telephone scripts. this is where our system begins (from the detailers point of view but marketing to make the phone ring is the real begining). We ask questions about the customer and their car. This is important from a sales point of view for obvious reasons, but it also where we start to get an idea of the customers needs, how much time we need to assign for their car, and what experience level the detailer who is assigned the car needs to be.

Assuming they book their car in, when they arrive the assigned detailer meets and greets them (all scripted) and then moves onto the vehicle appraisal
We have a vehicle appraisal form for this purpose, some of which will already have been filled out by the detailer using details taken from our appointment book... this information was of course collected on the initial telephone conversation.

The appraisal sheet is kind of equivalant to that check list on ketch's web site. However, I think we have a very diferent market over here in england and the customers are after different things. Also, our whole business is systemized and so the appraisal sheet is designed to determie what 'package' the customer wil choose. A recommendation is made and the customer can agree or disagree and then they sign for the work.

We also have simalar appraisal sheets for smart reapair, lease return and specific sheets for contracts with specific companies we provide bespoke services for, these sheets also fit in with the client customer's own tracking systems.
all are printed on carbon paper and the customer takes a copy... obviously, we don't waste space anting and the reverse is printed with terms and conditions, useful advice. in the case of the lease return appraisal, there is customer check list where they can check out things we are not responsible for. And on the reverse of the normal appraisal sheet, there are advertisments for other popular services such as alloy wheel refurbishment.

Once a customer has agreed a service package (e.g. our Silver Valet), then the detailer (or valeter as they are called in Europe) takes the appropriate checklist (silver Valet check list) and ticks the appropriate boxes for the chosen optional extras.
They then follow the check list through, ticking off each item as they go, following the proscribed procedure in the correct order. A supervisor can then run through the checklist at the end, inspecting the work, making sure it's all done and done properly.

There will be a manual some time soon to compliment each check list, with full description and instructions of each stage. And we have a digital camcorder on order so we can do training videos/DVDs.
So on the Silver valet check list, if item 5 is clean wheels, the detailer can look up item 5 in the manual, or on the DVD and find out exactly how to clean wheels in minute detail.

The idea is that the whole sytem is foolproof. And that we can have two guys in two building at opposite ends of the country, and as long as they follow the system, we will have consitent results every time.

I'd be happy to send PDFs of some of our forms to anybody who wants to sneek a peek. Just send me an e-mail. Obviously, the system we have is very much suited to our company in the English market. But I think you might find it interesting none the less.</HTML>
July 23, 2004 12:30AM
<HTML>Eric,

You ever get copy of my checklist I sent out back late last year?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
July 23, 2004 01:01AM
<HTML>No Brian, I had forgotten about talking to you about it until this posting. We had lost our home PC due to Mother Board problems 2 different timesnad both times it fried the dvd drives,or at least that what they told us at the Gateway General Store. THey made repairs both times but we lost in coming and out going emails,so being paid bills. I don't know if your email to me was during this time or not, but honestly Brian,Grumps check list on detailing was the 1st one that I have seen. I didn't even think to look thru Buda's Manual that I bought from him,as it may have had one in it. I guess this was a Helluva long way to just say "NO" I didn't receive it..:-) Brandy</HTML>
July 23, 2004 01:17AM
<HTML>Ron has the Pre-Detailing Inspection form -- I have the After Detailing Checklist.

Is that what you were referring to or am I looking in the wrong place on his site?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
July 23, 2004 01:35AM
<HTML>Brian, the "inspection form" is much different than a "check list".

The "inspection form" is a tool, one that is used to make sure the detailer becomes really aware of the vehicle's concerns, and a "communication device" for dealing with the potential customer.

It provides a "device" to create the "up-sell" of other services, as well as an "insurance policy", so the customer's expectations are met, and they understand the true condition of their vehicle.

The "check list" is another issue, and one that should be made available to the "sold" customer as well as the potential customer, so they are aware of the detailers professionalism.

We do need to put up on the site, other than the "check list" that is under the Ford Tech Tips, this very "check list", which we "licensed" to Ford, one that is more dedicated to the independant detailer.

You, as a Trusted Professional Detailer, received one of the laminated "check lists" when you recieved your set of samples and the tube with the laminated "process/procedure" wall charts.

Use it, make money off of it, make your self stand out from the "hackers" that are lurking in every alley.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
July 23, 2004 02:51AM
<HTML>Does anyone have an effective, pre-detail damage inspection report that they use where they review the vehicle with the customer, note areas of damage such as chips, scratches, cracked plastic, etc. and have the customer sign or initial it? Do you also include an engine detailing waiver on this form?</HTML>

Shine On!

Rod Wesley
Touch Up 'N' Go!
Auto &amp; Marine Appearance Center
We take your car from Rough to Buff!
Visit our website at: www.touchupngo.com
July 23, 2004 03:00AM
<HTML>On the Automotive International "inspection form", we do not include a "waiver", since when we developed it, we figured that anyone who would use it, had been through the PrepExcellence Course, and knew that by following the "process" for cleaning an engine, no damage would happen.

I guess you are right, a "waiver" should be added for some detailers.

We can't foresee everything, but we are human.

Ketch</HTML>

July 23, 2004 03:08AM
<HTML>I understand what you're saying, Ketch. But in today's society with many people so eager to pull the litigation trigger, you can't be too careful. Most detailers I know have never had any problems detailing engines, but it's always that 1 in 10,000 that will make your life miserable for a while. Most of the problems that they encountered were on older vehicles where the computer "brain" wasn't optimally located or cars that used a distributor cap system.

Your form does a nice job. I was just wondering if anyone had a form that was specifically used for preventing problems when the customer picks up the vehicle and every scratch, crack or flaw stands out and they want to blame the detailer for causing it.</HTML>

Shine On!

Rod Wesley
Touch Up 'N' Go!
July 23, 2004 03:13AM
<HTML>I have to agree with you.

It is something that needs to be done by any detailer who cleans engines and as you state, other things.

No one likes paying attorney's to defend their lives.

It ends up being a "no win" situation, no matter what.

Ketch</HTML>

July 23, 2004 03:23AM
<HTML>Having been in the middle of several such situations when I was a claims adjuster, I can say that you're absolutely right. In most cases, the shopowner would end up on the short end. The insurance company would end up paying for all or part of the damages which resulted in a significant increase in the shop's liability insurance premium, or worse, cancellation of the policy if the claim was severe or expensive enough!! As you know, some of the computer components on the high-end cars can run as high as $8-10,000!!

However, with the advent of the technology, they're very well protected being encapsulated in plastic. Most of the problems occur when the wiring leading into the computer deteriorates either from rubbing or normal wear & tear and blows out the computer.

Many detailers avoid engine cleaning altogether or don't promote it as an optional service. However, if done properly, it only takes a few minutes and can be a very profitable add-on!!</HTML>

Shine On!

Rod Wesley
Touch Up 'N' Go!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login