Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Safety Meetings????

Posted by Eric Brandenburg 
Safety Meetings????
July 22, 2004 11:43AM
<HTML>Those of you who have employees other than yourself, do you give/have regular safety meetings. Then document them in case you have an accident you can show proof to the Investigators,who ever they maybe, that you have a Safety Awareness Program training your employees to follow safety rules and regulations. Why I'm asking the local OSHA folks stopped by and did a check on a friend of mines shop business, He got gigged several times over things you normally wouldn't give a second thought to.
911 Emergency,Police and Fire Dept numbers. Where the medicine cabinet is? Where the Fire equipt is,etc,etc,etc. If you have an Uh-Oh! and have other employees other than your self,you had better have a good set of records. My friend told me that he has 1 week to correct the infractions,make proof thru inspection,and then they will have to work about 116 man hrs to pay the fine!!!!!</HTML>
Re: Safety Meetings????
July 23, 2004 02:42AM
<HTML>Eric, Brandy,

When I first came to Automotive International, we had a division, AutoPreservation, which did vehicles for car dealers, new and used.

One of the first thing I did, was stop the "used car" part, unless they were willing to pay a price that we could make a buck on.

The second was look at our OSHA record, our "modification factor" for workman's comp.

That is when I got everyone together and put together a monthly "safety meeting", one where every employee had to attend and sign a book, that was dated for the day and the subject matter covered.

Then, I looked at what "detailers" and "dealer" were doing to address some of the issues that came about when the OSHA people showed up.

One of these was to have the normal 12 oz despenser bottles and 32 oz spray bottles redone for each product that might be used in them.

We took each product and then determined what product would be put in them and had the bottles "silk screened" with the required OSHA labels on them.

At a $1,000.00 a bottle potential fine, it was a "no brainer".

Now days, we offer the same bottles to our customers, of course they do cost a few cents more than a bottle, which we call the "logo" bottle which they can use a "sharpie" marker to fill in the required information, but each container required a seperate "silk screen".

Most shops don't mark the bottle correctly, this reduces the chance of having a fine.

We do a lot of other things, to keep the OSHA fines from happening.

Like, no electrical tape of the power cords, safety glasses are part of the job, etc.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
July 23, 2004 03:38AM
<HTML>Brandy, good points.

Here are some OSHA stats for you for 2003

"Out of the 48 detailing establishments visited, 78 citations were issued for the following reasons.

Hazard Communication 18
Respiratory Protection 8
Medical Services & First Aid 5
Electrical, Wiring Methods, Components & Equipment 5
Personal Protective Equipment,General Requirements 5
Portable Fire Extinguishers 3
Employee Right-to-Know Training Requirements 3
Hand & Portable Powered Tools & Equipment, General 2
Electrical Systems Design, General Requirements 2
Eye & Face Protection 2
Employee Right-to-Know Labeling Hazardous Substances 2
Employee Right-to-Know Availability of Written Information 2
Accident Prevention Program 1
Guarding Floor & Wall Openings & Holes 1
Means of Egress, General 1
Electrical, Wiring Design & Protection 1
Respirator Maintenance Requirements 1

The fines for the above citations ranged from $100 to $3000 for each violation, the detail shop owner in the first example received fines totaling over $11,000 dollars."

"The following is from an OSHA publication, and is sound advice.

“There are four basic elements found in workplaces with a good accident prevention program.

These are as follows.

1/ The manager or management team leads the way, especially by setting policy,assigning and supporting responsibility, setting an example, and involving empoyees.

2/ The worksite is continually analysed to identify all hazards and potential hazards.

3/ Methods for preventing or controlling existing or potential hazards are put in place and maintained.

4/ Managers, supervisors, and employees are trained to understand and deal with worksite hazards.

The key to the success of this plan is to see it as a part of your business operation and to see it reflected in all your work”.

I posted at length about this back in January, if your interested you can read the whole post at

[www.web-cars.com]

Jim.</HTML>
July 23, 2004 03:44AM
<HTML>I try and stay really on top of these types of issues but the WHMIS training of all employees is a killer with the high turnover in the detail business. We have had our "occupational health & safety" people in a couple of times and if there is anything wrong they tell us and give us a time frame to comply. Little things like having GFI's on all the plugs AND the circuit breaker or having a WHMIS training log etc... We fully comply if we are not up to snuff but we strive to always be on top of things to avoid any potential hassles.</HTML>

July 23, 2004 05:06AM
<HTML>Scott: When you say. " the WHMIS training of all employees is a killer
with the high turnover in the detail business. " Are you refering to the cost of training them by a professional ??? If that is what you are refering to look into a " Train the trainer courses " for yourself or a loyal employee. I have taken several of these courses for WHMIS, Forklift, Cranes etc. This way you pay a one time fee once or twice a year and the trainer can train a hundred people if thats what you require. These are OK with the safety requlation in Canada. I imagine there is something in the USA that is the same. ( The training I received is from DEVTRA )</HTML>

Bob
July 23, 2004 01:27PM
<HTML>Hey guys great responce on that post,and Bob you are right, the train the trainer is the only way to go. This leaves someone to manage the program and take care of documentations(paperwork) as it has to be. Filed posted and on hand, when needed.
Jim Hamill, in reading many of your posts, and responding to posts,there couldn't have been anyone any better to head up the Detailers Association. It takes a person that is a perfectionist to details, and gathers true information, you are it,so keep up the good work.
Last night I formulated a once a month ck off list to copy,file,and put on the bullitin board,and mandated Safety Equipment,OSHA Postings,EEOC Stuff,and after hours Emergency Phone number. If you guys/gals don't have it posted you had better get em up. The manhrs that you come up with out of pocket maybe you own!
To all, go back and re-read Jim Hamills return post,this is the "REAL WORLD",and if you cannot abide,I would suggest you getting into another line of work. The fact is, the Establishment is going to make everybody responsible,voluntarily,or a Fedral Court Judge can help you out with your short comings. Believe me, they got more on the ball than the Cub Scouts!
.............................................. Brandy !</HTML>
July 24, 2004 02:00AM
<HTML>One other note.

90 per cent of all the inspections that take place in the detail shops, are the result of an employee complaint. The dealer I used to work at was fined $5000 by OSHA, and they kept coming back for months. I spent more time working on H@S stuff than I did detailing. Lock Out Tag Out is another big issue with OSHA, we had to have a written procedure for shutting down every piece of machinery on the premises. I re wrote them 4 times before they passed OSHA requirements, then they changed their mind at the last minute, they wanted us to put pictures of the switches in the instructions. When you consider the number of machines in a busy shop...tire changers, wheel balancers, oil filter crushers, oil distrubitors, brake lathes, hoists ( 5 different types), compressors ( 3 different types), AC units, Brake bleeding units and on and on and on.... then train all the staff on procedures.

Gives me nightmares still !

Jim.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login