Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Air/pneumatic buffers

Posted by Rod W. 
Air/pneumatic buffers
July 23, 2004 03:01AM
<HTML>I went on a few tool sights (Harbor Freight, Tool Central, etc.) to look for an air powered buffer. Nothing came up, but I did notice several air powered sander/polishers. They all topped out in the 2500-3000 rpm range. Are these polishers actually air buffers? Is it just a matter of semantics? Thanks. I want to be sure I'm buying the right tool!!</HTML>

Shine On!

Rod Wesley
Touch Up 'N' Go!
Auto &amp; Marine Appearance Center
We take your car from Rough to Buff!
Visit our website at: www.touchupngo.com
Re: Air/pneumatic buffers
July 23, 2004 03:18AM
<HTML>We have a Harbor Frieght "air polisher", IE, rotary buffer, for our Tech Center, so we can put one in the hands of those who wish to go with an air buffer.

We also have an "air dual action", for them to use.

Like you state, hard to control the "speed" and then there is the issue of cooler weather and the unit freezing your hands off when it is used all day long.

There are parts of this world, however, that the "air" powered units are the only real option, due to lack of the electrical power tool companies distribution and/or, voltage/amp differences.

We only offer "air tools" to these markets and try really hard to get domestic users to consider the electrical tools.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
July 23, 2004 03:33AM
<HTML>I've always used electric, but with the new shop we'll have air lines in the wash & detail areas. Obviously, we use the air for cleaning & drying, but I've heard that with an air buffer, it's very difficult to burn the paint because they're not designed to handle any torque significant enough to burn the paint as they slow way down if they're leaned on.

Now I know that nothing is idiot-proof when it comes to paint and buffing, but I'm under the impression that as long as you keep it moving, the air buffer is not at all problematic and also much smoother to use than the electric.

What have you found to be the major pros & cons of air v. electric, Ketch?</HTML>

Shine On!

Rod Wesley
Touch Up 'N' Go!
Auto &amp; Marine Appearance Center
We take your car from Rough to Buff!
Visit our website at: www.touchupngo.com
July 23, 2004 03:47AM
<HTML>Rod, I use both Electric and Air powered buffers.

Air buffers.
Pros: Light weight, smaller, easier to maintain ( couple of drops of oil to prevent moisture build up) . Little safer as floors in many detail bays tend to be wet so no electric cords on the floor)
Con's: You have to have a good air supply, in the dealership if the techs are all using their air tools my buffer slows down. Noiser, you'll need ear plugs. You will need gloves in the winter.

Jim.</HTML>
July 23, 2004 01:47PM
<HTML>Rod W; the previous posts are Right On! I have both Air and Elect! I like the lightness difference of air over the electric. I could become a poster boy for the new Makita Electric Buffer/polisher,w/soft start,and varible speed. it also has a "BIG D" handle on it that takes away a helluva lot of strain. One thing for sure,I work in an air conditioned shop we leave the temp setting about 70-72 degs,so I can take care of my Hot Flashes.I'm 58 and going thru the change,Ya know. The air buffers/Polishers I use get cold quick,and I guess thats when I go back to Makita. LIke Jim said if you are working in a Wet Invironment go with Air,but you better have a very good air comp. I have a 5HP 2-stage Quincey 80 gallon tank at my home shop. We have 4 0f the afore mentioned compressors at the Body Shop. If you are setting up in a home shop, go on line to EATON Compressors.com The young fella that owns the company will be extremely helpful. He also builds one helluva compressor for the money. They are all low speed compressors 600-800 rpm's and 1750 rpm on the electric motors. You can get one of his compressors for about the same monies that you pay at Lowes and Home Depot or Harbor Freight, but for personal opinion you get much,much, more for the mony. He also sells and services his compressors as well as air tools. He's located in Eaton,Ohio............ Brandy!</HTML>
July 26, 2004 06:58AM
<HTML>Any of the rotary tools whether they are electric or air powered can create a sufficient amount of heat to do damage, even if their weight is considerably less. Be mindful of this always! excellent tools!</HTML>

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
July 26, 2004 08:15AM
<HTML>I have used both, my "fav" is the Makita 9227c..., I love the features and my hands do not get cold and I do not need glovessmiling smiley</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login