Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Best way to remove extreme dirt from carpet

Posted by BRUHA 
Best way to remove extreme dirt from carpet
July 25, 2004 03:41PM
<HTML>I decide to clean out the interior of my girlfriends Mercury Cougar yesterday. It was a hand down from her grandmother and was extremely dirty. I took the car to the gas station to use their high powered vacuums (since I live in an apartment and really don't have a shop vac). Well, to make a long story short, two vacuum sessions and $1.50 later...there was still dirt embedded in the carpet. It seemed like this dirt was so ground into the carpet, that the vacuum wouldn't even pick it up. Is there another instrument that I could use to remove this embedded dirt???</HTML>
Re: Best way to remove extreme dirt from carpet
July 25, 2004 04:02PM
<HTML>If they are super bad ,you may have to remove the carpets,and to a Powerwash job on them. Better yet take the vehicle to a very good detail shop,that has a big carpet extractor,and get them to clean it. Probably get them to fit you in for 40-60 bucks.front/back/and trunk????.... Brandy
I suggested the Detail Shop for good ones have the necessary top quality equipment to do such tasks................</HTML>
July 25, 2004 04:03PM
<HTML>If they are super bad ,you may have to remove the carpets,and to a Powerwash job on them. Better yet take the vehicle to a very good detail shop,that has a big carpet extractor,and get them to clean it. Probably get them to fit you in for 40-60 bucks.front/back/and trunk????.... Brandy
I suggested the Detail Shop for good ones have the necessary top quality equipment to do such tasks................</HTML>
July 26, 2004 12:39AM
<HTML>Get a rubber mallet and beat the hell of it!!

Do this as you vac, watch the dirt "jump" up into the vacuum.

The dirt is "imbeded" in the carpet, one needs to make it be "un-attached" and the good old rubber mallet is a quick and cheap way to do that excercise.

That is the best you may do, other that do a professional detailer's way, of cleaning the carpet.

And that way requires some training, some expertise, and some good equipement.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
July 26, 2004 12:52AM
<HTML>Also, use a "grooming brush" after the mallet to further break down the dirt.

I can not imagine detailing with this method..., but if it is all you have, just do your best.

Shop vac makes a "turbo brush" attatchment that has beater bars like a household vacuum, this also helps out in the larger areas to clean.

Also try compressed air at a high pressure to break up some of the dirt..., it will make the car dusty, so do this before treating the dash, etc...

Again, a commercial carpet cleaner will do a MUCH better job, easier and faster.</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
July 26, 2004 02:38AM
<HTML>For old, heavily soiled carpeting, there is nothing like removing the carpet shell and pressure washing it. You will blast out dirt that no carpet cleaning machine could ever pull out. Keep blasting and rinsing until the water dripping out is crystal clear, then hang it up in the sun to dry. Now you can replace the jute pad and clean the floor boards before reinstalling the carpet shell.</HTML>
July 26, 2004 09:47PM
<HTML>i used the pressure washing way on a few doormats in the past...
works quite good. but you got to watch out, doing it this way is very harsh on the material.
see ya
michael c</HTML>
July 27, 2004 04:19AM
<HTML>Along the lines of Grumpy's suggestion, take a DA or a palm sander & put an old piece of foam rubber on it and let it beat & vibrate the carpet for you. You won't believe the amount of crap this will force out of the carpet. keep the vacuum in one hand and the sander in the other and go to town with it!!</HTML>

Shine On!

Rod Wesley
Touch Up 'N' Go!
Auto &amp; Marine Appearance Center
We take your car from Rough to Buff!
Visit our website at: www.touchupngo.com
July 27, 2004 08:45AM
<HTML>There is also a brush that is designed to go on your PC7424 that really breaks up the dirt, works great for dirty cars and/or spot removal</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login