Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Show stopper

Posted by Stevon D. Salter 
Show stopper
July 28, 2004 01:19AM
<HTML>Hello everyone

I am new to this site, but I hope you guys can help me with this. I am in the process of getting my C5 vette ready for a upcoming car show in August. I want my car to look and sound its best, so I decided to do a carbon fiber and plexiglass subwoofer enclouser in the rear of the car. Now every thing was going fine and untill we were just about ready to install it back into the car when I notice that I some how got adhesive mixed with resin on the bottom rear quarter panel. Now the real problem with this is that we have been working with this stuff for the better part of 8 day and I don't know when it got on there but it is already hard. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this out with out ruining my cars finish. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance</HTML>

We live to die.......so live it up......
Re: Show stopper
July 28, 2004 02:21AM
<HTML>Have you tried contacting either the adhesive or resin manufacturers?</HTML>

July 28, 2004 03:10AM
<HTML>no I did not, I wouldn't think they would give me a real answer anyway</HTML>

July 28, 2004 03:18AM
<HTML>Call Ron Ketchum at Automotive International. If anyone will know the safest way to remove it he will. I don't have his number handy but it will be on their website at: www.autoint.com</HTML>

July 28, 2004 03:45AM
<HTML>I will try and get in touch with him as soon as I can.</HTML>

July 28, 2004 04:12AM
<HTML>I think Ron is gone for a few days , something about going to see some of the OEM's. Isnt there another guy called Tim who does the same kind of thing as Ron ?

Jim.</HTML>
July 28, 2004 04:58AM
<HTML>Yeah if Ron isn't there then Tim Brune is the man you want.</HTML>

July 28, 2004 05:24AM
<HTML>
Well I can't get in touch with either guy at the moment can anybody else on here give me some advise?</HTML>

July 28, 2004 06:16AM
<HTML>What is the adhesive/resin product called? Made by 3M?

What color is the resin and what color is the car?

Would need a solvent of some type but without knowing what kind of adhesive you were working with, kid of hard to give advice.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
July 28, 2004 02:42PM
<HTML>Depending on the adhesive you can use an adhesive remover (debonder) it will liquify the adhesive...

If you do not have enough time to obtain one use a viscous not runny wax or compound with a razor blade... The razor blade should be at an angle..slowly slide or cut away at the adhesive making sure not to cut into the paint..the compound or fluid will help the razor glide across the adhesive and less prone to slicing into the paint It is a slow...time consuming process...</HTML>
July 28, 2004 03:46PM
<HTML>Unless you have done something like this before, I would not recommend that you use a razor on the finish of your C5 Corvette. That could just make matters worse.</HTML>

July 28, 2004 05:41PM
<HTML>I'd think a metal razor blade would just be asking for trouble.

We have plastic razor blades here that I got from our Auto Magic distributor. The seem to work pretty well with much less chance of damaging the finish (or your fingers!).

If you can't find plastic razor blades, a small plastic ice scraper or spatula with a sharp edge will work just as well. Just make sure there are no burrs on the edge you're gonna use.</HTML>

July 29, 2004 12:00AM
<HTML>Thank you all for resopnding, the kind of resin that I used was a r956 compound and it cures to a yellowish color. My vette is silver as far as the razor blade thing I am not getting a warm and fuzzy on that but I have tried using my fingernail but I don't have much so that wasn't working for me. I see someone mention using a solvent what kind of solvent should I use. A little info on the resin, it is used to harden carbon fiber and it cure quickly we mixed it fairly hot so it would cure faster. Now being that a resin is the same as a adhesive should I treat it as such or be more aggrasive with it.</HTML>

August 05, 2004 02:12AM
<HTML> I'm not familiar with resins and such but I can tell you that Goo Gone and Tarminator seem to be safe for paint so you could let them dwell and see what happens. Hot water should soften the stuff and might allow you to pull some of it loose. Clay bars ? If all else fails, try an aggressive one from www.automagic.com or the Detailer Line Maroon-colored one from www.meguiars.com . Follow with polish to remove any scratching.
No metal razor blades for me, thanks. I even cut my face with them !
3M Adhesive remover is popular as is good old WD-40. On another thread, Ketch said certain solvents such as mineral spirits are safe for clearcoat but recommended against lacquer thinner. Hair Dryers and heat guns must be used cautiously so as not to overheat the paint. I've used various pads approved for Teflon cookware without noticable scratching.

Doug
" Good marksmen improve their shooting. Poor marksmen move the targets closer "</HTML>
August 05, 2004 02:21AM
<HTML>Thanks Doug that is some good advise I will try some of those thing this weekend. I have already tried to clay it and it didn't do anything to it so I will keep you guys posted. Please keep the ideas coming.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login