Windshield Cleaning

Posted by Anthony Gentile 
Windshield Cleaning
August 06, 2004 12:23PM
<HTML>What is the best way to get the inside of a windshield clean?</HTML>
Re: Windshield Cleaning
August 06, 2004 01:44PM
<HTML>Anthony.

I use RTU glass cleaner, spray it on to a cotton towel and wipe the top half of one side, then wipe with a MF towel, do the rest of the windshield one quarter at a time.

The MF towel is great at getting in to those tight little spots. The bits that it does not reach I use one of those little spongies that some people use for painting.

Jim.</HTML>
August 06, 2004 05:13PM
<HTML> I've been experimenting with disposable " Lint-free " towels from www.griotsgarage.com . So far I'm impressed. www.properautocare.com has a similar product, I believe.
I've been using the towels with Meguiar's Detailer Line window cleaner.
Griot's window cleaner is also good . The Meguiar's product is a concentrate that makes much more product when diluted per instructions and is therefore much cheaper in unit price than Griot's.
Someone recommended wrapping a towel around cardboard to get into tight spots. I read it in some past posting...
Doug

" Work smart, not just hard. "</HTML>
August 06, 2004 05:21PM
<HTML>Stoner's Invisible Glass and newspaper works for us.

Newspaper works great (don't use the colored sections though). That way ya always have a clean wipe to use.</HTML>

August 06, 2004 06:09PM
<HTML>Invisible Glass is great!

If the person was a smoker, follow Ron's process and use an all-purpose cleaner first to clean -- then the Invisible glass to clean, shine and streak- free windows.

Microfiber fellas, microfiber!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
August 06, 2004 06:10PM
<HTML>Another cool technique is to use one of those long spackling knives, wrap with microfiber and press down into the dash/window area (hard to reach) and that will get where you can't.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
August 13, 2004 03:01AM
<HTML>Anthony Gentile,

You can use either your favorite household window cleaner, such as Windex or a professional window cleaner, such as Stoner Invisible Glass to clean the windows of your car. It is always a good idea to spray the window cleaner directly onto a cloth. Do not spray the glass. Doing it this way will help to reduce unwanted over spray. Always clean the inside of the front windshield first. The key to clean windows is to always clean the windows twice. It is also very important to re-wipe every window using a clean dry cloth. The final wipe down is a very important step that will help to reduce the chance of those unwanted streaks.</HTML>

August 13, 2004 03:32AM
<HTML>Very simple, love to see all the "magic" answers.

Hey, guys, we do on average over 15,000 vehicles a year, are a supplier and trainer to the most respected carwash and detailing chain in the states, we wrote the book that I-CAR uses to train their students, etc.

1. Mist the entire surface with a "non-butyl" component glass cleaner (butyl's components may discolor the vinyl componts), and allow the blend of alcohol's to do their "work"!!

2. Use two "non-linting" towels, --IE, huck or surgical towels" folded.

3. One to "agitate" the glass surface, and the second folded to "remove the glass cleaner" from the glass surface.

Now, I am tired, so just think of this, "would you sand wood with the sand paper "crumpled up" which would not make "even contact"?

No, and why?

Think about it.

Second, "what the hell does the chemicals in a glass cleaner do?

Third, "where does the crap off the glass go to, if you use only one towel?"

(does it "smear around", since you never removed it in the first place)

What creates "lint", and then look at a "terry cloth" towel. Lint, baby, lint, and the alcohol's or whatever in the glass cleaner will make the fibers come out and be on the glass.

I could go on and on, regarding this subject.

I will close with this, "many detailers will blame or aclaim" a brand of glass cleaner, and do not really think about and consider what is really going on.

Let whatever glass cleaner you use, applied over the "entire" surface of the glass to work on the contaminate.

A "stream" of glass cleaner, on the glass, well, you are got a lot to learn if you can't picture that one.

How the hell is your "smearing" it around going to allow it to work.

And then, you take a "contaminated" towel, and even worse a "terry cloth" towel, that is loaded with dimethal silicones, oils , etc, (I don't care how good you think you washed them, they are "contaminated") and blame the manufacturer for a crap product.

You know what makes the Stoner product work so well?

Lots of butyl cellosolve in the mix and it is a "spray", one that hits the glass in a wider spray pattern than a "pistol sprayer".

One of these days, when you are spraying a "butyl" component glass cleaner and see those "little spots" that permanently stain the dash, you may recall this post.

And as the newer vinyl's come into use, ones that the manufacturers are bringing into production, you will.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
August 13, 2004 10:58AM
<HTML>Anthony Gentile,

In review, here's a summary of my window cleaning process.

1- Use your favorite window cleaner.

2- Spray the window cleaner directly onto a cloth. Do not spray the glass.

3- Always clean the windows twice.

4- Re-wipe every window using a clean dry cloth.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login