Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Meguiar's Engine Kote

Posted by Doug Delmont 
Meguiar's Engine Kote
August 07, 2004 03:02AM
<HTML> Now that the forum is back to exchanging important info and tips, I wanted to share one about Engine Kote from the Meguiar's Detailer line.
The product is supposed to be sprayed all over a clean engine to shine it up---if the customer wants it shiny, that is. It is a fire-and-forget product with no wiping to do.
I called Meguiar's and asked about using it in wheel wells. They had no objection so I tried it and it seems to work well.
Their policy on the Detailer line is to trust expert detailers to use their best judgement in finding uses for the products. Just because they don't specify a particular use doesn't mean the product is unsuitable for that use.

Doug</HTML>
Re: Meguiar's Engine Kote
August 07, 2004 08:38AM
<HTML>Doug say BYE BYE to ENGINE COAT. Those laws Anthony talked about are taking effect sooner than we think. The replacement for ENGINE COAT is HYPER DRESSING [WATER BASE] and can be diluted for shine/gloss

On the wheel well issue, I use MOP & GLO WORKS GREAT last a very long TIME</HTML>
August 07, 2004 01:20PM
<HTML> Thanks New Again : I never thought of Mop & Glo.
I'm inclined to doubt the Engine Kote will be banned because I was told it is water-based ( by the instructor at a Meguiar's seminar ).

Doug

" If you wash a man's car it will be clean for a day. If you teach a man to wash his car, he may just let it go anyway ".</HTML>
August 07, 2004 01:20PM
<HTML> Thanks New Again : I never thought of Mop & Glo.
I'm inclined to doubt the Engine Kote will be banned because I was told it is water-based ( by the instructor at a Meguiar's seminar ).

Doug

" If you wash a man's car it will be clean for a day. If you teach a man to wash his car, he may just let it go anyway ".</HTML>
August 07, 2004 01:26PM
<HTML>Doug I dont know who you spoke to @ Meguiars, But take a look @ there NEW Detail Line www.meguiarsonline.com and see what Hyper dressing REPLACE</HTML>
Re: MOP &amp; GLO
August 07, 2004 01:36PM
<HTML>MOP & GLO sounds like a great idea for wheel wells. Thanks for the tip.</HTML>

August 08, 2004 07:34PM
<HTML>Yep, the Mop and Glo, and I'm going to experiment with generic versions, seems very similar to EK. In fact, I put the two side by side in 2 seperate cups and the EK is white and odorless, the M&G has a yellow tint to it and smells like lemons. M&G also has cleaning capabilty but when used in the same manner one would use EK, it does look rather well.</HTML>
August 08, 2004 11:57PM
<HTML>Back in the late 70's and early 80's I used mop & glo on Vinyle Tops.

I'll have to try it on wheel wells.

Thanks</HTML>

Auto Appearances Inc , Raleigh NC (919) 812-4759
August 09, 2004 01:33AM
<HTML>Yes back in the 70s Clear floor wax and Future floor wax was used on vinyl tops ,dash boards , tires and engines.</HTML>
August 09, 2004 11:53PM
<HTML> New Again : You were right. I may have misunderstood the instructor's description of Engine Kote. It had solvent in it and is discontinued. Meguiar's wanted to be ahead of the curve so instead of waiting for the ban, they ended production. There is no exact replacement for Engine Kote but Hyper Dressing can be used on engines.
Sorry about doubting you.
Doug

" If you mince your words, it makes them easier to eat later. "</HTML>
August 10, 2004 12:41AM
<HTML>Doug Delmont,

Is this topic a joke or what?</HTML>

August 10, 2004 12:47AM
<HTML>Isn't Mop & Glo for floors? Why would anyone use it on a car? Especially a professional detailer. Exactly how do you go about telling your customer that you decided that Mop & Glo is the best product for their car?</HTML>

August 10, 2004 04:58AM
<HTML>M&G is also excellent for bedliners in pickups. I use it on mine once a year and it keeps it looking great!! It's much better than dressing because when it dries it's not as slippery and it's very durable!! It's also good for those big pickups that are used for work trucks and have those pebbled plastic floors in them. It really brings back the black. Lasts a a long time, too.

Customers don't even ask, Frank. If it's a work truck it looks like crap when they drop it off. Looks like new when they pick it up. They really never even ask what we use. They're just happy we got it looking so good again so they can sell it or trade it in!!

What's the difference if you use M&G on wheel wells or peanut butter on moulding to remove a stain and bring back the black. The customer is paying for your expertise and resulte. If you clean their vehicle with an over-the-counter product that works, why not use it?</HTML>

Shine On!

Rod Wesley
Touch Up 'N' Go!
Auto &amp; Marine Appearance Center
We take your car from Rough to Buff!
Visit our website at: www.touchupngo.com
August 10, 2004 10:47AM
<HTML>Rod = THANKS for clearing things up with your answer. I basically ONLY use M&G for WHEEL WELLS

Doug

What's the other replacement for EK</HTML>
August 10, 2004 01:28PM
<HTML>New Again,I would only use it for wheel wells also. Someone somewhere on one of these forums mentioned a small company in NY that makes a very similar product to EK called Nu Vinyl (?). Any one of the seemingly endless list of more typical rubber and vinyl dressings will also shine up a wheel well and similar surface nicely. EK and now M&G or its equivalent seemed of interest to me mainly because of it's not too high gloss and decent durability in the elements.</HTML>
August 11, 2004 12:53AM
<HTML>Its made by Castle"NU VINYLE" and has the same results as Mop and glo,dries hard but also xpensive and you must keep off paint !!!!Sometimes it takes several coats, if not its awful about being splotchy..I used mop and glo in the service over my spit shined boots on the heal and toe and it looked like glass,,,,,but if it rubbed up against anything hard cracked like glass.I will buy some and post pics of useing under fender wells at Tintdude's detailing forum and you can judge if its something you want to try ..Title it Mop@Glo should it stay or should it go!!!!!</HTML>
August 11, 2004 03:34AM
<HTML>Sorry no e !! NU VINYL I can give you the # for the company here thats 5 minutes from me that sells it...if anybody wants!</HTML>
August 12, 2004 03:10AM
<HTML>Frank-No joke here. I actually spray Engine Kote in the wheel wells because it is designed not to require wiping and to dry so as not to fling off.
That's moot now because, as New Again correctly stated, it is not sold anymore. His suggestion of Mop & Glo makes sense to me because we're talking about wheel wells here ; not the finish or something. I doubt it could do any harm and it might last better than auto dressings. It should not need to be wiped either.
Doug
" Improvise, adapt and overcome."</HTML>
August 12, 2004 01:33PM
<HTML>William G.--

Please provide the link to Tintdude's site.Thanks!</HTML>
August 12, 2004 05:43PM
<HTML>Bill:

William: I hope you don't mind me answering a question directed to you.

Here is the link to tintdude detailing forum:

[www.tintdude.com]

I have never been on the tintdude detaiing forum, but I am active member on the tintdude paint protection film forum.</HTML>

Auto Appearances Inc , Raleigh NC (919) 812-4759
August 12, 2004 07:00PM
<HTML>Ok, looking forward to see how the M&G worked out from the pics that will be over there. Thanks.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login