Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Best Commercial Wax

Posted by Anne Springer 
Best Commercial Wax
August 08, 2004 08:56PM
<HTML>I have been using Meguiar's Step 3 carnuba wax and I have shelved NXT forever since it doesn't seem to last more than a week or so.

So the question is... what is the best commerical wax (in-store only) you can use? I have been wanting to try Zymol for a long time, then again I enjoy using Mother's. What do you guys think?

I am looking for excellent protection and of course tons of shine...

Anne</HTML>
Re: Best Commercial Wax
August 08, 2004 09:26PM
<HTML>Anne,
There really is no "Best" in all catagories...

I will tell you what local wax I use-
S100, available at your local Harley shop.
It is not the most durable, although it is no slouch either.
The nice part is it is very easy to apply & remove and does not stain trim.
It also has a VERY nice shine to itsmiling smiley</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
August 08, 2004 10:42PM
<HTML>Anne; try some DiamondPlus from Bud Abraham. 1 gallon jug 22.95+ shipping. Very good stuff..................... Brandy !</HTML>
August 08, 2004 10:44PM
<HTML>Off the shelf, I like Mothers Cleaner Wax paste wax. But I haven't bought off the shelf in ages.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
August 09, 2004 03:32AM
<HTML> Ann: In my test, the NXT lasted about 48 days on a car hood. There's no way I can imagine it's lasting only a week or so as you say. Make sure you are letting it dry before wiping it off, applying it to clean paint, washing with car wash soap and never in an automatic car wash and drying the car with 100% cotton terry towels. I hope you know that Bug and Tar Remover products remove wax and must not be used unless you intend to wax again.
If you want durability, you might try Duragloss ( www.duragloss.com ). That is not an endorsement of the product, just a suggestion based on past testing I've done, which indicated it holds up well. I have not tried Bud's sealant but hope to.
None of the Meguiar's car wash soaps will strip wax. Griot's and Malm's are both safe too.
The Duragloss soap left lots of soap spots when I and another person used it. Use something else.
Doug</HTML>
August 09, 2004 03:43AM
<HTML> Ann: Oh, and another thing : The Blue Zymol sold in stores was rated #1 overall in one Consumer Reports test. I found it a bother to use because you put it on in small sections and wipe off before starting another section.
On dark cars, it can be hard to blend these sections evenly. Durability seemed mediocre. So, despite its good shine, I rated it inferior to Meguiar's.
Doug

" There's never enough time to do it right but always enough time to do it over ."</HTML>
August 09, 2004 04:04AM
<HTML>Anne:

In the Comparative Study of Automotive Paint Sealants and Waxes Zymol Carbon was 24th out of 25 products in terms of increase of gloss before application and after with only an 8.6% increase in gloss measured by a Glossometer. The best was Klasse with a 32.8% increase to give you some idea of increase in gloss.

The Zymol Cleaner had a great increase in gloss than the wax with at 13.9% which was 19th out of 25.

However Zymol Carbon had only a 0.93% decrease in gloss after 12 washings which was 10th out of 25.

Interestingly the Zymol Cleaner was #1 out of 25 and show a 5.16% INCREASE in gloss. Go figure???

In the salt water corrosion test Zymol Carbon was in the #2 catagory with another product. This meant Good, small amount of rust.

There were two in the #1 catagory, ZAINO BROS and DIAMOND PLUS which was Excellent, little or no rust.

The Meguiar's NXT wax was not tested only their Hi Tech Wax. And it was in the #4 catagory for resistence to salt water. This is Poor, same amount of rust as the Control Panel which was a sheet of metal with no wax or sealant on it.

In terms of increase in gloss it was last 25th with only a 5.5% increase in shine. And, after 12 washings it was 15th with a 1.38% decrease in shine.

Hope that helps you.

By the way, you are probably correct on the NXT wax. No plain wax will last 48 days. I question how the tester was able to determine that it lasted 48 days. I would bet the formulators would not even tell you that it would last 48 days.

Regards
bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
August 09, 2004 06:32AM
<HTML>Bud,

What were the results of using your Diamond Plus on gel coats? I'm still a bit weary of using automotive protectants on gels.

By the way, I got your sample of the Trim & Tire Glaze yesterday -- will let you know how everything works.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

August 09, 2004 10:53AM
<HTML>Anne,

The best commerical wax you can use is the one that makes you happy. Why not try them all? That way you can just continue to use the wax that makes you happy.</HTML>

August 09, 2004 11:53AM
<HTML>Has anyone tried P21S or Swissol?</HTML>
August 09, 2004 01:36PM
<HTML>Brian:

There is no problem using DIAMOND PLUS on gel coats. They are really nothing more than a single stage paint, that is why they oxidize.

If you base your use on the results of the Report and the salt water corrosion test, then DIAMOND PLUS would do well as it was one of the products in the #1 catagory with greatest resistence to salt water.

Protection products for cars or boats are the same, don't think there is a difference other than the product's resistence to salt water.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
August 09, 2004 01:41PM
<HTML>Swissol is another creation of the man who invented Zymol. It has an important sounding name, but it is nothing special as a protection product, other than being expensive.

This man is a marketing genius, getting people to believe that his products are something special.

There was an article in Robb Report discussing this man's $650,000 restored Dusenberg that paid the owner of Zymol $10,000 to formulate a "special" wax for the car. "Special" alright, it must have had gold flakes in it and even then it probably could not been enough to justify $10,000.

All I can say is that a can of wax is basic chemistry, nothing more. How many of the wax/sealant products that you can buy have "patent numbers" on them? Or even "patent pending."

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
August 09, 2004 02:03PM
<HTML>I think I might try to order some of Bud's Diamonds Plus soon, but until then...

I am very unhappy with NXT's results. I always use on a clean, hand-washed car with car soap, and I find it lasts about a week. My friend who doesn't know a lot about waxes pointed this out to me! It has a good shine for a bit, then that and the protection wears off. I think Meguiar's Carnuba wax does the same- doesn't last long.

You guys have been a big help, actually!

Anne</HTML>
August 09, 2004 02:11PM
<HTML>I read some where that mop-n-glow is getting popular--- oh brother!</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
August 10, 2004 12:11AM
<HTML>Bud,

The problem is that Swissol is one of the products everyone is talking about.
I'm guessing it has much the same performance as Zymöl... that is, it's a good quality wax but no better than any $20 wax. I was just wondering if anybody has tried it.

It seems to be pretty difficult finding out anything about either Swissol or Zymöl which is hardly suprising... we can hardly expect them to give out anything other than the sales pitch. Q&A might be awkward for them. For example, I'd love to know why Zymöl thinks that Volvo paintwork is so different that it needs it's own special formular wax. Does Volvo have it's own special paint factory pumping our magic paint made by Oompa-Loompas?

Anyway, I have heard before that the same bloke is behind both Swissol and Zymöl... have you any idea who he is or his background?</HTML>
August 10, 2004 12:19AM
<HTML> Anne: Bud and others have hammered me relentlessly for my test that found NXT did not last as long as two other gourmet waxes. Why they are letting you off the hook, I don't know. I'll ask you what they asked me, " How did you determine that the wax was gone ? By failure to bead water ?
Meguiar's tells me they agree with Bud and the rest of my opponents that water beading is not a good indicator of whether there is still wax on a car.
" Paul " from Meguiar's prescribes the squeak test : Ball up a towel and press it against the paint and turn it. If it squeaks, the wax is gone.
" Jason " at Meguiar's isn't sure even the squeak test works.
Bud: I understand that NXT is a " synthetic " wax and not , as you say, a " plain wax ". Forget my questionable test for a moment...How can a wax be worn off in a week or two ? I suspect Anne is referring to a loss in shine, not protection ( the word she used ). www.meguiarsonline.com is a Meguiar's forum we can check out. They won't make specific durability claims or publicize their own tests.
Doug

" Find something you like and use it often. You may have to. "</HTML>
August 10, 2004 12:24AM
<HTML>Dan:

The founder of Zymol is a guy named Chuck Bennett and he must be a marvelous marketer. That is all I know about him.

I would go to www.google.com and type in "Chuck Bennett" and see what comes up. Be sure to only click on those that discuss the Chuck Bennett who is founder of Zymol.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
August 10, 2004 12:30AM
<HTML>Anne,

The best commerical wax you can use is the one that makes you happy. Why not try them all? That way you can just continue to use the wax that makes you happy, while you continue to hate the brands that make you unhappy.</HTML>

August 10, 2004 12:56AM
<HTML>Doug:

I would choose to differ with you on your terms. No one is "hammering you." We are simply disagreeing with what you say, it has nothing to do with you.

What you have to learn is that when you expose yourself on a forum with opinions you have to be "thick-skinned" enough to handle people disagreeing with you.

Hope that helps

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
August 10, 2004 01:10AM
<HTML>I have to say tha wate beading up is a pretty poor indicator. My new (used) car has got naked paintwork at the moment, the top half having just been seriously compounded, the bottom hald just been resprayed. we have had two days of summer storms and I can tell you that the water is beading up lovley!

On the other hand, there are cars at work that have just been waxed with synthetics where the water is sheeting off. And that how we know the synthetic waxes are working... they are doing what they are designed to do.
And if I am not mistaken, NXT is desinged not to bead.</HTML>
August 10, 2004 01:35AM
<HTML>Hey Bud do you ever send out any samples of Diamond Plus ?</HTML>
August 10, 2004 03:09AM
<HTML>Bud,

Correct me if I'm wrong but single stage paints are arcylics, lacquer, etc.

Gel coats are polyester resins. I'm no scientist but wouldn't want to use car wax on a boat that sits outside all day, exposed to UV rays and salt air -- and tends to oxidize within months.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'd only use a protectant on a boat if it's marine grade.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

August 10, 2004 10:49AM
<HTML>Is this topic a joke or what?

What's the best commercial wax? Why not just use the wax that makes you happy, while you continue to hate the brands that make you unhappy. Do the statements made about this topic sound more like they are based on opinions or facts?

Maybe after you purchase a few cases of NXT and use it on more than one hundred vehicles you might change your one sided opinions and start dealing with facts. Then again, probably not. Why? Because some people just have to voice their opinion about how a brand name product doesn't seem to last more than a week or so until they have convinced themselves that the product doesn't last more than a week or so.</HTML>

August 10, 2004 01:02PM
<HTML>Bud,

Back to your reply on the Salt Water Corrosion test. Wasn't there "3" that made #1? DiamondPlus, Zaino, and Collinite 885 Fleetwax Paste?</HTML>

David
August 10, 2004 01:35PM
<HTML>You are correct, the three products you mention fell into the #1 catagory in terms of corrosion resistence.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
August 10, 2004 01:56PM
<HTML>Sorry, a little behind on posting...

My thing with NXT is in addition to little water beading, the shine was gone and the paint was rougher. I think it took about a week or so for it do show these results.

On the other hand, I do like my Mother's Sealant & Glaze, for the shine stays and the paint is smooth, unfortunately it offers little to no protection (I cannot figure out the answer).

What do you all think of Mother's products? I was thinking of picking up the cleaner wax, I think Brian suggested this one earlier. But if I land a great paying job, I'm all for trying Bud's product!

I've got pictures for you guys today, so hang tight!

Anne</HTML>
August 10, 2004 06:50PM
<HTML>Anne: My final advise, what ever its worth. Start using the professional formulas that the Pro's use. I like Bud A's stuff Detailplus.com,and also use some of Ketch's stuff AutoInt.com. I don't think you can go wrong on either company's products. + you get a helluva lot more product to work with for your monies...........:-) Brandy!</HTML>
gaz
August 10, 2004 08:52PM
<HTML>Best commercial wax, for me some times the customer asks by brand at the moment its Meguiars why! because its flavour of the month, inn all the car mags Me I normally look at the age of the car, colour and the weather, yes weather! {ease of use}
I found that some polishes/waxes can be applied and buffed in the sun great on a good day but not on a damp day seems to take longer for the product to haze, so I find that polishes that you apply with a damp pad are better. All the products are branded and work well, unfortunately I dont have the luxury of trying the full range of American brands unless I bring them back with me from holiday only because the postage is more than the cost of the product.</HTML>

edinburgh car clinic
www.smartrepairs.me.uk
78, Leyland Princess 2.2 HLS owner.
August 10, 2004 11:40PM
<HTML>Anne

Are you preparing the the paint before apply any product ? As to claying GOOD paint cleaner , polish / glaze. The reason I ask you mention the surface is rough.</HTML>
August 11, 2004 01:18AM
<HTML> Bud: O.K. , you guys have been arguing your case fairly regarding my tests.
I'm willing to consider the tests inconclusive unless I learn more. I hope we can drop the subject for now...
Anne : If you refer to Mother's Phase #2 sealer, it is actally a polish/glaze that gives no lasting protection. That's where Phase #3 comes in. It is a pure carnauba wax ( no cleaning and polishing capability ). I've used the Mother's three phase system ( cleaner/sealer/wax ) and like it. If a car is in great shape, you can skip the cleaner, which I think is slightly abrasive.
The Mother's California Gold Car Cleaner Wax is an excellent product. The cleaner it contains is less abrasive/aggressive than that in Phase #1. No reason you shouldn't try it. It is cheap at Wal-mart ( $6 last I bought it ).
I have never tried Mother's Great Reflections line. And don't forget that I told you about Duragloss, which is worth trying.
Don : You are mistaken. NXT beaded up when I tested- er- USED it. The cars it was used on did not bead water without wax. NXT is easy to apply and wipe, gloss is first-rate etc. Questions are being raised about its durability and loss of shine but it is a good product in my opinion.
Doug
P.S. Anne: you can call Meguiar's 800 # and ask them about this too.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login