Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Distributor Product Knowledge

Posted by Grumpy 
Distributor Product Knowledge
August 21, 2004 04:44PM
<HTML>Here is a good one.

What does a customer buying from a chemical distributor or company, expect in regards to their being able to provide valid and true information regarding the products they sell, the usage of them, and the tips that are proven out to aid their customers?

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
Re: Distributor Product Knowledge
August 21, 2004 05:08PM
<HTML>Ron:

It has always been my contention that chemical companies and distributors who get most of the detailer's on going business should be able to turn to their supplier for ALL the help they need in establishing and operating their detail business.

If not, these suppliers, who then?

In any other industry the major supplier to the operators provide the information.

Look at the quick lube industry, the oil suppliers provide more information than how to use their petroleum products.

In the carwash industry, many of the chemical companies, Blue Coral for one, do an excellent job in helping the carwash operator in what they need to know to operate a successful business.

However, few of the detail chemical companies supply anything more than how to use their chemicals.

At DETAIL PLUS we have always supplied the information on how to use establish and operate a detail business.

Thanks for asking the question, it truly deserves an answer by the suppliers.

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
August 21, 2004 05:18PM
<HTML>It does need to be addressed by the manufacturers and their distributors.

However, even more important, is "what do the users expect", are they rational, or such that no one may be able to meet the expectations.

The only way that detailers and operators can do this is let their expectations be known.

We both know the way that "massive advertising/marketing" can create brand awareness, perceptions, but are these of a real meaning, when it comes down to the everyday, slug it out on the line, needs of a professional detailer, anywhere, not just in a major city?

What about "training courses" that are actually just "selling sessions" for a companies product line?

Do detailers truly understand the cost associated with providing a school, that the company doing so, is of course going to spend some time educating on their products. That aids in covering the costs.

However, is the company's school addressing issues and concerns that are more technical, educating on these concerns that are not just related to their products?

Do the companies and their distributors provide factual MDSD's, devulge any toxic or carcenigenic components or just hide them?

Do the distributors have any knowledge about the issues and concerns or just about "this is the best wax going, buy it!" sort of training?

I am sure, most of the pro's here, will be providing some important insight into what is "really" expected.

Ketch

Ketch</HTML>

August 21, 2004 06:01PM
<HTML>(If I say 'You', it means you in the chemical industry, not you personally. Just thought I would clear that up first)

The other day I bought a new washing machine. The damn thing only has two buttons and a dial... but came with no less than three manuals, packing insturctions, fitting instruction, diagrams on how to put it on a sack barrow, how to get it on a truck without hurting your back... etc. etc.

We may not read ALL of this stuff, but you kind of expect it with everything you buy these days. About the only company selling products in this country without expansive and adiquate instructions, is Microsoft! ...and we all know what we think of them!!!

When you guys design and make all these products, you must do research into how they work, the best ways to use them... and a whole load of other stuff that I have probably never even thought of!

ALL OF THE PRODUCTS THAT YOU SELL ARE SOLUTIONS TO PROBLEMS!

Sorry for shouting but I think thats worth bearing in mind. When you sell them to us, often it's because we are asking you for a solution. But often you are just pushing them on us and saying "this stuff is great, you should try it". Often, we are sent cataloges which just say, this is the range, pick what you want and give us a call. Half the time we haven't a clue what the difference is between 6 different tyre sheens, or 12 different waxes.

So you would be doing YOURSELVES a favour just supplying better information at the catalogue and price list stage.

Why not lay out the problems we in the detailing business face, and then present your products as different solutions? Then the best way to use them, then products they can be use in combination with... You must get asked similar questions all the time.

And then you have those products which customers will ask for by name, or pay more for. Stuff like sealants. I know they come with loads of gumpf, but we still need to make the sale. We are doing fine until the customer asks us why we should choose your product over that of a rival.
We can't very well say that product A is better because they said so... which is pretty much all we have to go on. All of them have independant test which say they are the best, so take your pick. Information is ammunition. And with the internet, there is now a lot of bullets flying around.
Not only am i now finding that I am getting e-mails asking tons of difficult questions, but I am also having to counter disinformation and old wives tales.</HTML>
August 21, 2004 06:10PM
<HTML>There are many local colleges(at least in this area)that have business courses, management, etc, etc...

I expect consistant quality from a chemical company, as well as Truth in advertising and labeling along with the prefered method of application(of course, I will experiment and see what works best for me, but a starting point is good, LOL!!)

IMO, a chemical company is to excell in chemical supply
A college is there to teach business

I do not expect the manufacturer of my buffer, HWE, vapor cleaner, orbital, or other tool suppliers to do anything except make quality tools and stand behind their workmanship.

If everything was run by one company, it is too easy to get "caught up" in only learning "one way"...,
It would have good points aas well as bad points, leke everything elsesmiling smiley</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
August 21, 2004 06:13PM
<HTML>Great point, Dan.

We supply all our TPD members with a set of large, easy to read, laminated wall charts, one for General Detailing, one for Paint Conditions, and a third smaller one that is "check list" (the customers love to see that one), which they can easily go to for the step by step way to handle the most common concerns, in a process.

We also have our Prep Excellence Manual, which is provided free to the students that attend the school, or it may be purchased for actual production cost.
(large three ring binder with several sections, pictures, etc)

For the warranty products, we have no charge consumer brochures, lucite point of sale with actual pieces of the surfaces showing treated and untreated, a CD that may be used to present the products, etc, etc.

Most selling dealers people will often relate the products to the ones that we produce for GM, DCX, Renualt, etc under private label, informing the customer that the products under our brand name are the same, and in the North America, the ONLY ones that have actually been tested, evaluated and proven by a vehicle manufacturer.

That carries a lot of weight with a consumer.

A nominal free supply of these are provided to each dealer who markets those warranty products, extras available at cost.

Now, just like when one purchases a new VCR or DVD player, a computer, whatever, very often the "purchaser" feels he has little need of actually reading the supplied instruction manuals, knows all about it, since they have owned one "before" and they are all alike, aren't they?

Same problem in being a manufacturer of quality chemical products, "I been using and detailing with these sort of chemicals for years, don't need to read no stinking instructions", sort of thought process.</HTML>

August 21, 2004 06:16PM
<HTML>Question, for not only yourself, Wayne, but all.

Does a company who is ISO certified in their manufacturing, warehousing and shipping processes, carry any weight with the detailing community?

The ISO certification does not mean that the product's provided may be superior in performance, only that the customer may expect continuous and valid, quality of the products, etc.

Ketch</HTML>

August 21, 2004 06:57PM
<HTML> "continuous and valid, quality of the products, etc."

That's itsmiling smiley
You might say- "Good to the last drop" LOL!!
No formula changes mid stream, consistant quality from lot to lot, etc, etc.
I like ISO, as you know if you liked the product this year, you will like it the next, as there is no "sneaking one over" on the customer...,

I think it is a good selling point knowing there is a certain protocol to go by in the manufacturing process...
Why aren't more manufacturers ISO certified?</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
August 21, 2004 09:55PM
<HTML>I have to admit that I didn't even know what ISO meant until our business coach (yes we have a business coach) suggested we should aim for our own ISO. Now I know what it's about because I spend about 30% of my week systemising the business.

But to be honest, there are so many of those badges at the bottom of adverts, trade associations, guilds, training certificates, etc. Many of them are bogus and anyone can buy them, that I doubt the general public take much notice.

But for me, ISO from a chemical supplier is fantastic. Not from the consistancy point of view, but for two other reasons. Firstly an ISO product has been tested independantly and does everything it is supposed to do... at least thats the theory! It may not quite be true, but it's better than a kick in the nads.
Secondly, a company which is ISO has systems in place for complaints and for silly things like accounting. We just haven't got time to deal with huge companies which lose paperwork or invoice us for the same thing twice over! (I happens doesn't it). Nothing instills confidence like a company which can screw up big time, but be able to put things right!</HTML>
August 21, 2004 10:21PM
<HTML>The ISO classification for us, I don't recall the number, etc, but I do know my end of it.

Starts with the raw material purchasing, standards, and each one must be quantined and checked by the lab against spec, then to manufacturering, same sort of paper trail, testing, mixing, after the mixing, a sample must be submitted to our HQ lab for approval, more paper trail, then it is packaged, documented, then shipped to either the customer or our warehouse, where it is once again put in quantined and check to spec, both the product and packaging, paper trail, then to warehouse stocking, etc.

When there is something wrong, and with the volume we produce, it is going to happen once in a great while, we know exactly where the error was, down to the person responsible.

Ketch</HTML>

August 21, 2004 10:31PM
<HTML>You can't remember?

I think it's 9001

If I'm right, it just goes to show that I was paying attention and it does stand for something!</HTML>
August 21, 2004 10:33PM
<HTML>It is very big over here in the States.

Ours is a very different classification, and they are up to IS0-9004 for some catagories.

Ketch</HTML>

August 21, 2004 10:33PM
<HTML>Colleges offer course in business theory, what a detailer needs is information on how to establish and operate a "detail business." They are not going to get that from a college. The only business management information that is going to be meaningful is from companies in the detail business.

We are constantly asked for the information we have available for setting up and operating a detail business. If this were available elsewhere detailers would not ask us for it.

The problem is that are asked for this information from detailers who do not buy our products. When we ask them why they do not get that information from their suppliers their stock answer is "they don't offer it."

Why reply is, "we sell detailing chemicals and supplies."

"Oh, well I really like XYZ's products."

Enough said.

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
August 21, 2004 10:59PM
<HTML>I can't quite see how you can do this Bud?

Obviously there are some parts of running a business which are the same no matter what industry you are in, and there are some things about detailing which are set in stone, for example, laws which have a direct bearing.

but as for the rest of it. There are two main factors. Firstly, marketing and generating leads. Secondly, there is the whole business of creating a service, which is usually a compromise between what needs doing, what the customer wants, what the customer expects, what is ecconomically viable, either for the value of the car, or what the customer is prepared to pay... etc, etc.

Both these things revolve around knowing the customer and your market. How can you advise on these things when you don't deal with these people direct.

I'm not saying you can't, but if you do, I'd like to know your formular.</HTML>
August 21, 2004 11:00PM
<HTML>Bud, for years, you have provided tried and true knowledge of how to operate, start a detailing business, and I understand your frustration.

There are very few companies who even try to provide valid information such as you do, yet many detailers do not understand that the only way the services you provide can continue is through the sale of products and equipment.

As most of the old timer detailers/businessmen are aware, "there is no free ride" and appreciate those such as yourself.

Ketch</HTML>

August 22, 2004 01:30AM
<HTML>Ron:

Thank you for your most kind comments about what you see my trying to do for this industry.

You are one of the few people I have met in this industry who has offered his customers more than a few chemicals and how to use them.

I guess you and I should get together and maybe between the two companies we can help the industry move in a more positive direction.

But, as you say, those we are trying to help have to see the need for assistance.

All we can do is what we do and respond to those who ask.

Thanks again

Bud A</HTML>

buda
August 22, 2004 01:36AM
<HTML>Dan:

Not sure what you have said. I have consulted with and advised detailers for over 25 years and in doing that find that most everything is the same, no matter what state or what country.

Detailers in the UK are the same as detailers in the USA.

The basics are the same and no college professor or marketing consultant knows better than those in the industry what is needed.

Maybe I am fortunate in that I have a background in marketing and advertising and can apply that experience to the detail industry.

Also, you must realize that in particpating in these forums and consulting with many detailers all over the world I have a position that allows me to see that we in the detailing business are very similiar.

That is, chemical companies seem to be the same; chemical distributors seem to be the same and certainly detailers are the same.

In fact, when I was in Cairo I visited with my customer a used car dealer and begin to laugh as we left his lot. The customer asked why and I said he looked just like a USA used car dealer.

Slicked back hair; diamond and gold pinkie ring; shirt opened down to his navel with gold chains dripping off his chest; gold bracelet. And his slacks were tight fitting shiny silk pants. That fits all the used car guys I know in my city. More or less, of course.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
August 22, 2004 02:19AM
<HTML>Hmmm. I have to disagree with you I'm afraid.

It's not been my experience that detailers are the same the world over. My experience has been that customers are very different, and so the detailers have to be different.

i have worked in England and Sweden and have found a marked diffrence between the two.

In england, people make a hell of a mess inside their cars, and that is the primary reason we get customers. They want the outsides cleaned of course, but they want the insides spotless, stain free and smelling like a summer medow.
In Sweden, customers would be too embarred to bring you a car that was dirty inside. They wouldn't want anybody to think they are dirty, so they keep them clean themselves. Cleaning up some boot prints is about the extent of it. But they like to have their paintwork perfect and they are prepared to pay by the hour until it is right.
But here in England, 99.9% of my customers wouldn't know a swirl mark if it jumped up and kicked their teeth in! People are just not bothered. I see cars that are faded and covered in scratches and the customers are not interested as long as it's clean.

Another differnce is labour laws. They work far fewer hours than we do in England. They charge by the hour, we work on a price, they are employed, our tax laws mean we are all self employed. Rent there is cheap But over here rates and rent is much much higher than just about anywhere.... because there are 58 million of us packed onto a little Island.
Over there products are expensive, over here they are cheap.

This all has a huge bearing on how we do business. how much we charge, the level of service we can reasonably provide.

And finally, based on the amount of businesses in a single town, the size of those businesses and how busy they are, I figure that they can squeeze three times as much work out of the Swedish people than we can out of the British people, because 'going to the detailer' is in thier culture and not in ours.
We have to market our nadgers off, they hardly bother.

The only way you can stay in business is to find out what the customer wants and then give them a little bit more. There is no point in totally restoring a car if the customer doesn't want it. Especially if you then try and charge them ten times what they want to pay. Percieved value is different from place to place.

And there is absolutly no point in us trying to market the fact that we can actually make their car shinier than brand new and correct almost any paintwork defect, when the customer doesn't even know they have defects.

We have to constantly re-evaluate our customers needs and expectations. And we can only do that by comming face to face with them, by carefuly recording details of every enquiry and every sale and adding up the numbers. Asking for feedback and consultation.
We have to fight damn hard to get customers... maybe in America there is a ready market and enough work to go around. But not here, and I suspect it isn't much better over there, or else you wouldn't have people packing up for the winter and doing something else, which is something of an alien concept to us.</HTML>
August 22, 2004 11:30AM
<HTML>Another good post dan!
Where are you located in england? My mother in law has a car for you to detail if your near north ellerton ;-)</HTML>
August 22, 2004 12:00PM
<HTML>Nice! Ron and Bud complimenting each other! I love it. You two guys are the most knowledgable people in the industry today and are a force to be reckoned with. Thanks for everything you both have done for me.</HTML>

August 22, 2004 01:59PM
<HTML>Ron,

My expectations from any distributor/manufacturer are simple:

1) Provide a great product line that works.
2) Offer fair prices.
3) Provide me with MSDS sheets, not excuses.
4)When I ask a question such as, "Does this product contain XXXXXXX?", I expect an honest answer. Do not BS me or I will find out and you will be toast.
5) Provide me with wall charts, etc.. if requested.
6) Provide REAL tech support.

Well I could co on, but you get the idea.

Just recently "fired" a dist. for a major label, starts with an A and ends with an X. Reason being, truck was usually half-empty, had trouble getting the basics from time to time. Ask the supplier about a certain paint condition (can't remember exactly what it was) and he told me to mix this aggressive compound with this wax and that micro-fine... When I gave him an extremely perplexed look, he stated that it would save me tremendous time, and "That's the feedback he's heard from many car dealership employees." I replied that many of my clients come to me with a car that's been hacked by the dealer, and they want the problem CORRECTED, and the pay me good prices to do this, so I was more concerned about proper procedure, more than just "saving time". Common sense told me this guy didn't know squat about recon or detailing.

Turns out, he is not selling A....X anymore, but some other unheard of product line. Probably re-labeled, as many are. Also, took him 3 weeks to FAX 2 MSDS sheets.

In short, I've yet to find a manufacturer/distributor who I can by every single product I need, provide me with tech support, and even on-going training.

Until then, the search goes on. More thoughts to come.

Regards,

Mike</HTML>

-Get that great new car feeling!-
August 22, 2004 04:45PM
<HTML>Quite simple to answer this one Mike R, Go with Bud Abraham or Ron Ketchums Company Products and all you problems will be solved. " No B.S. here from either company Period!................... Brandy!

P.S. I agree totally with Scott's post, Both Bud and Grump are the Tops in the industry Through out the Detailing World....</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login