Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

buffing non-clearcoats?

Posted by Henry Zamorano 
buffing non-clearcoats?
August 25, 2004 08:22PM
<HTML>i just wanted some advice about buffing other paint finishes other than clearcoats, i know when when buffing clearcoats not much paint shows up on the pad, but is it normal to buff conventional paints and see lots of paint on the pads, i say this because i have done this and the paint does look much better but im always concern about it. is buffing a practice used on conventional paints is my real question here????</HTML>
Re: buffing non-clearcoats?
August 26, 2004 12:34AM
<HTML>Howdy Hank! You had better not get any color on the pad,when doing a clear coat,if you do your probably into the base coat,or color coat. I do know that there are some clears that have tint,but you can tell the difference. The kids at the body shop are doing some custom stuff,and all of this that and the other they go thru is too much for my old brain.

Single Stage Paints- yes you'll get some color,and how much depends on how abrasive the cutter is. Remember when buffing start off with the least aggresive. You may want to water sand with some 2000 grit wet/dry sand paper,then finish leveling with compound. I may have left something out,but above all be very careful,especially if your a novis,as I am. Get some used single stage fenders or an old hood, then work your way up to base coat-clear coat painted used or salvage body parts,before you try it out on a vehicle that you may want to be seen in public. Better yet go to a couple of Body Shops look ,listen,and learn. Don't be satisfied with one shop either. This is the best info I can give,and I hope it helps. Some of the other guys will no doubt give you some more directions,so read and understand. These guys are the best of the best on the forum,even those who persist in soliciting the Horse's Ass of the Year Award......... Brandy!

P.S. I forgot something---- Single Stage paint will oxidize,and I had a Dupont Paint Factory Tech to tell me that Clear coat will as well. I'm going to talk with Bud Abraham, and Ron "Grumpy" Ketchum about that one.</HTML>
Re: buffing non-clearcoats?
August 26, 2004 01:23AM
<HTML>Henry : Yes you can compound single-stage paint with a rotary buffer. Yes, it is normal to pull color onto pads and towels. Single-stage paints are easier to burn through with improper buffing technique so don't allow the buffer to sit still and gring away at one spot. A pro with a paint thickness guage can tell you how much paint you have left and guess how much you can afford to buff away. Meguiar's Dual Action Cleaner/Polish might be a good choice for a mild product. If you finish is in great shape, you can forget compounding and simply polish or cleaner/wax with an orbital.
Doug</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login