Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Detailer's Code of Ethics

Posted by Rod W. 
Detailer's Code of Ethics
August 31, 2004 03:50AM
<HTML>If we were to develop a detailer's code of ethics, what key elements would you absolutely include in it?

Things like: deliver the car when promised at the agreed price.
Call the customer when a concern arises that will cost extra to correct and advise them how much more it will cost them. Use only OSHA approved products, etcc.</HTML>

Shine On!

Rod Wesley
Touch Up 'N' Go!
Auto &amp; Marine Appearance Center
We take your car from Rough to Buff!
Visit our website at: www.touchupngo.com
Re: Detailer's Code of Ethics
September 01, 2004 12:53AM
<HTML>Detailer's Code of Ethics-
1) The detailer will inspect the car thoroughly before advising the customer of what services are needed and the results to be expected.
2) The detailer will exercise special care in the parking and storage of customers' vehicles to protect them from accident or crime.
3) The detailer will charge by set prices unless another system, such as clock hours, is in the customer's best interest.
4) Whenever practical, the detailer will correct any defects in his work before or at time of delivery of the completed vehicle.
5) The detailer will always try to reach an understanding with his customer as to what services and what level of quality are to be delivered.
6) The detailer and customer will draw up a written work order that states prices to be paid and services selected before any work is done.
7) The warranty on work or the absence of it will be provided to the customer as a document or as written on the work order.
8) On delivery of the completed vehicle, the detailer will disclose any accidental damage that occurred while the vehicle was in his custody if he has knowlege of such damage.
9) The detailer will not lie to his customer or make misleading claims or engage in puffery.
10) The detailer will generally refrain from disparaging another detailer's operation or advertising.
Doug</HTML>
September 01, 2004 01:03AM
<HTML>Hey Rod, how about adding detailers using products from ISO Certified Companies. Thus being the customer gets top quality products all of the time, and no deviation.

I promise not to hit on the 36-22-38's...............:-) Brandy !</HTML>
September 01, 2004 05:12AM
<HTML>How about proper education and training? Not training by trial and error and seat of pants.

If this industry is to claim to be professional it will require that technicians gain some professional knowledge about paints; chemicals; leathers; carpets; upholstery; glass; wheels, etc.

Few, if any detailers can claim to have any professional training in these areas other than trial and error and seat of the pants.

Ever wonder why this industry is the only one with no formal training? Janitors have formal training; mechanics; carpet cleaners; collision repair techs. Why not detailers?

Are they so intrinsically smart they do not need training?

Just wondering.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
September 01, 2004 05:12AM
<HTML>How about proper education and training? Not training by trial and error and seat of pants.

If this industry is to claim to be professional it will require that technicians gain some professional knowledge about paints; chemicals; leathers; carpets; upholstery; glass; wheels, etc.

Few, if any detailers can claim to have any professional training in these areas other than trial and error and seat of the pants.

Ever wonder why this industry is the only one with no formal training? Janitors have formal training; mechanics; carpet cleaners; collision repair techs. Why not detailers?

Are they so intrinsically smart they do not need training?

Just wondering.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
September 01, 2004 01:45PM
<HTML>Great post as usual Buda, your absolutely right! My daughters Auto Repair business,they have to be "Certified Technicians", to work in the Raleigh area, or supposed to be anyway. I feel better, if I can see some kind of previous training efforts/records showing me the said person knows alittle more than where the hood latch is,before working on my vehicle. I feel that it should be the same way for the Detailing Industry! Maybe the new PDA can get something accomplished along these lines,setting up a standard for those wanting, or in the business now to adhere to. This will eleminate some of the "back alley" operations................ Brandy!</HTML>
September 02, 2004 12:26AM
<HTML>11. No detailing in the nude.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
September 02, 2004 01:29AM
<HTML>Joe: Agreed. No detailing in the nude. Bikinis required, of course.

Bud : How can we agree to standards for so varied a profession ? Is a detailer wrong if he uses household products ? If he recommends a waxing every month ? You get the idea, I hope. Dentists are taught what is safe and so on and are then free to use their skills as they see fit, so a dental problem can bring estimates of from 600 dollars to 25,000 dollars for the same problem. The dental associations will not pass judgement so it is patient beware. It may have to be that way for detailing.
Detailers are free to attend seminars and to post the certificates they receive for customers to examine.
Until next post, I remain...
Doug CBT ( Certified Bikini Detailer )</HTML>
September 02, 2004 03:10AM
<HTML>Doug, the use of products, whatever brand is not as big an issue as the members of the industry adhereing to a code of ethics.

We require that those who are listed on our Trusted Professional Detailers group, to accept and follow the "mission statement".

That is the real start, at least in my opinion.

As detailers move forward to a publically accepted industry service group, education, as Bud states, becomes a very important part of it.

Like education regarding chemicals, what are dangerous, to the user, the vehicle's paint, trim, etc.

In order for a detailer to make those important decision, they require more than just the word of some chemical salesman, trying to make a sale.

There are many, many issues to be addressed, and that takes time and the committment of dedicated professional detailers.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
September 02, 2004 05:39AM
<HTML>Amen, Ketch. Nicely said. That is what it is all about education. Most detailers can detail a car but haven't got a clue about paint finishes and how thick clears are or what you can and cannot do to them.

They have no idea what is analine leather; protected leather; nu buck and which is in an automobile and what you can and cannot do to them.

As for chemicals few really understand chemicals and how they work. And, when you tell them they argue with you when they have no knowledge that entitles them to argue.

You and I are on the same page, detailers to claim to be professional must demonstrate they have the knowledge.

To date only 3 people have returned the tests i sent to them. What does that say?

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
September 02, 2004 05:41AM
<HTML>Doug:

You cannot compare a dentist in anyway, shape or form to a detailer. All dentists have 8 years of schooling. They have knowledge about their professions. They can prove they have this knowledge.

They are obligated to attend so many hours of seminars every year to keep their license.

You are not even close.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
September 02, 2004 01:37PM
<HTML>The public veiws us in diferent eyes than they do dentist. For example --

why does everybody brush their teeth before going to see the dentist but NEVER wash their car before bring it to one of us to detail it?????

No respect I tell ya!</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
September 02, 2004 10:12PM
<HTML>Gentlemen : If certification is a good idea, and I'm not saying it is, it should be done ASE. Their certifications have credibility and the machinery is already in place nationally. It should be kept simpler than the mechanic tests though ; one test to certify a person as a " Detailer ".
A training course could easily be devised to prepare people to pass the test.
The downside of certification may be that employers will be pressured into hiring only certified people, thereby fencing out people who can't read well or who are simply poor at taking tests.
Note that certification guarantees knowlege but cannot measure diligence and honesty.</HTML>
September 03, 2004 02:56AM
<HTML>Here it is, wether you like it or not, and not "directed" directly at you, but at all on the forum.

I-CAR has been attempting for years to get ASE to cooperate and provide the "testing and certification" of those who pass the I-CAR Detailing course.

It is much like here, "who has the stroke", "who has the power", "who is right and who is wrong", sort of thing.

These very large, and very accepted by the public, (i.e. the customers each wishes to reach) organizations, such as ASE, SAE, I-CAR, etc, shhow that the public do really care about "certification", "accepted training course completion".

Just look at how the insurance companies will not allow a "non I-CAR" trained and certified, body shop to do the repair work on their customers vehicles.

In other words, it is "polictical" in nature, and most here do not understand the way that "non-profit", (funded by the membership of a group) works, so,you got a lot to learn about this world.

Ask Bud, he and I have been there first hand with the old PDA.

The good thing about the organization that Brian and Jim are working so hard to build, it doesn't require a bunch of suits, sitting in an Ivory Tower in Chicago to make it work at this time.

Members are not paying for fancy offices, benefits, vacations, salaries, etc.

It is so involved, so much more than most here see.

Take the first step, become involved and leave the "ego's" on the porch, before you step in, since we all know how great we are all, how "successful" each are.

Very few detailers make the bucks, after paying the taxes, etc, that any legit business does, that they want to make.

Perhaps, most are not "really business" people, but just dreamers, looking for a way to make a buck, not build a legit business?

How about. forget all that, and just start to take the steps that the really acknowledged other "service groups" have attained.

Become more than a dreamer, an "ego driven" person, become a realist, a true business person, who wants to be in this business and profitable 10 years from now.

It may take a few years, but then, are you, each of you, doing what it "really takes", or just getting by with making the car payment, the rent or house payment for this month.

Real "business" people see way beyond those simple goals, so which are you?

Ketch</HTML>

September 03, 2004 05:41AM
<HTML>Very well said Ron!

There are only a select few of training/certification programs offered to detailers -- AI's PrepExcellence, The Ding King's State Certified Automotive Appearance Training School.

Now who goes to say these schools are accredited? Noone.

And why is that? My guess would be that detailers are looked upon as high school drop-outs who "clean cars."

The PDTA should be the one that sets the standard for the industry with training, acceptance and promoting education to the public via magazines, newspapers, etc about the accredited training schools.

Maybe the PDTA logo will be the icon of accredited training programs such as PrecExcellence, etc. We'll just have to wait and see where our work leads us. To me, it's leaning more towards the positive side for our industry.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
September 03, 2004 06:12AM
<HTML>Ketch:

Excellent post. It would probably be possible to have I-CAR or ASE to develop a certification program for detailing however I doubt if many detailers, including many on this forum would be willing to take the course for fear of failing it.

Everytime the subject of certification comes up most detailers decry the need for it. I have heard this discussion for years and it always ends up the same.

Whether the industry will move beyond what I call the "shoe shine industry" level remains to be seen. But for now auto detailing is certainly not consider a legitimate auto service industry and will never be until there are trained technicians who have to prove their right to work on a vehicle.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
September 04, 2004 05:44AM
<HTML> Ketch : I may have sounded a lot worse than I intened to in that post. Obviously I was unaware that any effort had been made to get ASE interested and I do not object to any organization awarding certification to people if that organization wants to do so.
The hard part will be to get that certification recognized as proof of competence rather than just another flashy award, appreciation plaque, or certificate of attending a seminar, of which we see so many everywhere these days.
Bud : If someone invests in a shop such as you set up for people, does good work and acts professional, he'll get respect with or without certification. The problem is in getting dealers and private owners to see the value of detailing and be willing to pay for quality.
Doug</HTML>
September 04, 2004 03:33PM
<HTML>It always amuses me, when the subject of certification comes up on forums, why many detailers, most who have never had any formal training, bock at the idea of any type of certification when such types of certification exist in almost every other auto service business.

Is there something to fear from certification?

Do not the gains out weigh any negatives in terms of showing the customer that you and/or your employees have some type of training?

It frightens me to think of the number of detailers who work on cars that have no idea what the differences between single stage and two stage paint finishes are; have no idea how to properly clean carpets; know nothing about leather and it's care.

I cannot recommend to anyone of my friends or relatives who call me often for a recommendation on a detail shop in Portland. Why? Because none of them, that I know of, have any qualifications to detail, other than they say so.

I took my wife's and my car to two different shops that do business with us believeing the owner's knew what they were doing. Within a day the dirt in my tan carpets had wicked to the top after only being cleaned with an extractor.

My wife's car was filled with swirls after the initial coat of wax wore off in a week.

You might be right, certification cannot guarantee perfection, but it does tell me that someone sat thru a course; or took a course and was exposed to the right way to do things. Hopefully some of it might have rubbed off.

Those who would not take the time or invest the money are not deserving of my business anyway.

REgards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
September 05, 2004 05:50AM
<HTML> Bud: I've been warned not to soak the carpet too much or dirt will wick up and the stains will be back-----but I had to see for myself, of course. I spent a lot of time extracting mud and Orange Blast from a Subaru and now the stains are back.
As to the wax on your wife's car being gone in a week, how did you know it was gone ? - and don't say the water stopped beading !

Doug

P.S. Here is at least one case where wax durability mattered to the customer.</HTML>
September 05, 2004 05:51AM
<HTML>Bud, how about this, it is simple and then everyone here may provide their "vision" of each of the three words and how it relates to a "code of ethic's"

1. Don't lie

2. Don't cheat

3. Don't steal

These three may be expanded upon to, create some real understandable depth, if each just thinks and works at it.

Ketch</HTML>

September 05, 2004 02:25PM
<HTML>Doug:

Not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me regarding carpets??

As for the reference to my wife's car, I knew the wax was gone because I could see the swirls. After they did her car I asked the detailer what they did and he said the polished it and then waxed it.

My suspicion was that his definition of polish was compound with a white wool and then a coat of wax.

In any case, I did not notice if the water beaded or did not bead, only that their were swirls in the paint.

Hope that clarifies the matter for you.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
September 05, 2004 02:27PM
<HTML>Ketch:

An excellent summation of what one should do in business and their person life. Hard to do sometimes, but certainly a great guideline.

This relates to business practices; dealings with suppliers; dealings with customers; and of course in terms of obeying the LAWS, like them or not.

Thanks

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
September 05, 2004 02:37PM
<HTML>I remember bringing the topic of certification up a couple of years ago and was summarily "slammed" by 90% of the people who responded to the post (including some detailers that post here). Reasons posted were that "they did a good job without it", "they didn't need a piece of paper to tell them they are a professional", "they didn't trust ASE or I-CAR anyway" and I can go on and on. I don't care about the badge on my shirt or the plaque on the wall - those are just benefits that come along with being educated and certified. I care more about having as much knowledge as possible and knowing that I have the skills to deal with every situation that may come my way - and my untrained "competitors" will not. Simple as that.</HTML>

September 06, 2004 01:48AM
<HTML> Gentlemen : I never said I opposed certification . If you want to be able to show proof of your special knowlege to the public, without a certification program in place, take a recognized course or two and print up statements to be signed by the course instructor that you are certified to possess the necessary knowlege to detail. Get the school's permission to use your certification in your advertising.
Who knows ? Maybe the auto clubs will someday agree to certify detailing shops and list them for their members.
Doug</HTML>
September 06, 2004 02:18AM
<HTML>Bud : I was agreeing with you on carpets. The problem I'm having with this ratty subaru is that I don't have enough experiance to know what is achievable in this case. Unless you see the car in person, I'm not sure you can tell me if these old stains are removable. I've tried a variety of chemicals and a lot of extracting and the seats and carpets still look lousy.
Any thoughts are welcome, of course.
Doug</HTML>
September 06, 2004 03:37PM
<HTML>Doug, we do a lot of Subarus and they are always a PITA to clean. Seems almost every Subaru owner has to carry their damn dog everywhere and NEVER vacuum their cars from my experience. The carpets in most of the Subarus is that really nappy, almost outdoor type of carpet that seems to never clean up well. We just vacuum the hell out of it, shampoo as many times as is needed and extract well with the hot water extractor. In severe cases you may have to yank the seats and the carpet out and pressure wash the carpet to get it looking decent. Unfortunately when something gets that beat up there is no other alternative to getting it to come clean other than replacing it.</HTML>

September 06, 2004 11:45PM
<HTML>Scott: Thanks. Bud e-mailed me privately about the Subaru too. I feel better knowing I probably did the best that can be done. It is a 1995 model and its owner refuses to invest more money in solving the stain problem so I' finished with it.
Doug</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login