Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

water marks on cloth seat removal???????????????

Posted by Ryan Stewart 
water marks on cloth seat removal???????????????
September 02, 2004 02:44PM
<HTML>I recently had a customer that brought a VW Bug to us for an interior detail. My guys shampooed the seats and the customer is now complaining that when the seats dryed it left water rings on the cloth. I have since sent my guys back to re do the seats but they were not able to remove the rings. What is the secret for removing these water mark shampoo stains????????

Thanks,

Ryan S</HTML>
Re: water marks on cloth seat removal???????????????
September 02, 2004 03:16PM
<HTML>Pale grey or beige interior?</HTML>
September 02, 2004 03:17PM
<HTML>...and do the rings have a kind of blue hue to them?</HTML>
September 02, 2004 03:40PM
<HTML>The cloth is grey in color and there is no blue in the rings.</HTML>
September 02, 2004 05:37PM
<HTML>I have seen this a fair bit on german cars of late, it seems to be a design fault due to the foam they are using in the seats containing dyes and other stuff.

This may or may not be the case on your car... although I have not come across it beatles. you will soon know if the stains just keep appearing no matter what you do.

We have found that if you dry them quick it doesn't draw any nasty stuff up from the foam. So we towel dry and then blow dry with an industrial blower.

Before we let it dry in the sun as it was hot here, and the marks kept appearing as the seats dried.

I'm not sure you are having the same problem we have had, but I hope this helps.</HTML>
September 02, 2004 08:11PM
<HTML>Had this happen to us about 3 years ago. Our old Detail Manager cleaned tan cloth seats on a used beetle because the custmer was complaining they were dirty when it was purchased. He cleaned them with an extractor (he actually didn't use that much water), and the seats looked alot better. Well, the customer brought the car back 2 days later, and the seats were near black. It was like all of the dirt from the foam pad inside the seat was brought to the surface. That was a costly repair!</HTML>
September 02, 2004 08:33PM
<HTML>Mark,

What did you do to get the stains out?</HTML>
September 02, 2004 09:03PM
<HTML>I have done numerous beetles with those come back stains lol
First i use a pre cleaner like AM ez uphosltery shampoo, then followed by a good steaming with my steam machine to penatrate and lift the stains, then followed with my heated dual 3 stage ninja with 185 lift with a no drip tool. Those stains never come back!!!!!
There is also a product from chem spec called absorb-a-stain that works well . You can get at your local chemical supplier</HTML>
September 03, 2004 05:50AM
<HTML>The water stains you are talking about are next to impossible to remove unless your customer doesn't mind their interior smelling like vinegar.

What happens is exactly like a water spot on the car -- the water dries and the only things left behind are the minerals from the water which are now set into the fibers.

An acidic cleanser should work but it also may not. Could also damage the fibers. Thats why I let the customer know ahead of time that the water stains may not be fully removed.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
September 03, 2004 12:33PM
<HTML>Brian,

That make sence but how would someone prevent this from happening in the future?

Ryan Stewart</HTML>
September 03, 2004 02:18PM
<HTML>If the customer is willing to pay for the extra labor, and one has some mechanical expertise, pull the seats out.

It is not that hard to remove the cloth covers, need some hog ring pliers, a couple of wrenches.

Take off the cloth and clean it, let it completely dry, do a dry brush rub of the foam, and when all is dry and the stains are removed, put the covers back on and reinstall the seats.

We have two seat parts in our classroom, which we use to show how seats are put together, the foam, how the cloth may or may not have a polyfoam backing etc, so those new to detailing can actually see and understand how these things are built.

Grumpy</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
September 03, 2004 04:03PM
<HTML>Once clean and dry, and you are sure they are actually removed, apply a quality, tested by a vehicle manufacturer, proven fabric protector, not some off the shelf hyped product.

Grumpy</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
September 03, 2004 10:31PM
<HTML>Ryan,

Ron is exactly right for this prevention -- a waterproofer/fabric protector for professional use.

For boats I use Marykate's Fabric Waterproofer and water will not penetrate the fibers -- just puddles up until you push the canvas up and let the water drain. However, this is for outdoor protection but maybe Ron can clear up if this can be used on interiors as well.

Ron offers Fabric Protector for autos.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
September 04, 2004 01:24AM
<HTML>Any "quality" hydrocarbon carrier, correct resin content, product will provide both outside and interior protection.

Could tell you a story about a "test", not scientific, just one I did while living in SoCal, regarding a very cheap cotton out door umbrella, water repellence, extention of fabric life etc, using our product of this type of chemistry.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login