Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New NXT experiment

Posted by Doug Delmont 
New NXT experiment
September 09, 2004 06:21PM
<HTML> As everyone may recall, last August 9th , I applied NXT Liquid Wax by Meguiar's beside Duragloss CCP over clean paint to see what would happen. The initial finding was that NXT beat Duragloss in depth and gloss as well as slipperiness. No glossometer was used. I didn't need a glossometer. I needed sunglasses.
Now it is September 9th , a month later , and both products have dulled a little but NXT still looks better. Water beading ( for those who consider it important ) has been equal throughout the month. All indications are that both products are holding up well.
The Duragloss has more cleaning power than the NXT but is slightly harder to apply.
The interesting part will be which product lasts longer.
Doug

" Some people, upon seeing a sign that says " WET PAINT " have to touch the wall to make sure. "</HTML>
Re: New NXT experiment
September 09, 2004 06:39PM
<HTML>Yeah very interesting. I unhderstand both brands' washes are supposed to be very good. Ill track down some NXT wash , I do have the Duragloss wash, it is very impressive both in cleaning ability and slickness. The NXT hopefully will be as good if not better, (cheaper too)</HTML>
September 09, 2004 07:07PM
<HTML> Bill : My experiance with Duragloss Car Wash was that it left soap spots unless rinsed well. The parts counter guy who sold it to me concurred. This was years ago and they may have changed the formula.

I've been happy with Meguiar's Soft wash Gel and Professional Shampoo and Conditioner . I rated their Car Wash Concentrate a little lower. I thought their oo Professional lacked cleaning power. They now have Hyper Wash, a Detailer line product you dilute 400 : 1. Sounds amazingly economical.

3M Car Wash is very good. Auto Magic's yellow stuff is fine as is Griot's Garage's. Malm's concentrate didn't send me, though.

I've used Westley's, Blue Coral Poly Wash, Blue Coral Self-Dry, Kit Carnauba Wash, Turtle Wax Zip Wax Wash and others but generally prefer Meguiar's if I have to pick a favorite.</HTML>
September 09, 2004 08:42PM
<HTML>Hi Doug,

Can't say if the Duragloss formula has changed since I rinsed probably more than usual ( was washing off a bug guard product)

I've heard good things about using#00 as a clay lube, so I'll have to experiment with that.

I've heard excellent things about the Griots wash, that's another boutique one to try some time.

Regardless of whether or not they are commerical or consumer,
isn't it mind blowing how many washes alone there are out there?

All in good fun I guess smiling smiley</HTML>
September 09, 2004 09:52PM
<HTML>Go with Autoint's Stuff or Detailplus's Stuff. Does better, last longer,and You get more product for your monies..........Brandy!</HTML>
September 10, 2004 01:22AM
<HTML>I've been using Super Suds boat soap by Mary Kate all season long and must say it's an impressive cleaner. It's synthetic with no soaps, phosphate free, 100% bio-degradable, "fish friendly" and residue free. 2 oz to 5 gallons of water.

I'm sure you can find a better sealant than NXT, no?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
September 10, 2004 02:19AM
<HTML>
For professional use, sure,plenty of sealants are more appropriate than NXT in terms of suiting a detailer's needs. I do believe I heard there may be a pro version of the NXT line of products in the future. Guess we'll have to wait and see</HTML>
September 10, 2004 02:40AM
<HTML> Gentlemen : I am only testing NXT because it was hyped as a breakthrough product . Last test, it was ( according to my best opinion ),
outlasted by Malm's and Griot's and equalled in shine. NXT is easy to apply and may be useful for pro detailing.

I have purchased a couple of Ketch's products but haven't tested them yet.
I haven't even bought any of Bud's stuff yet.

You guys may be quite right that such products beat NXT but I thought these latest findings might be of interest . I am not trying to promote any product so relax a little. If I think something is good I'll say so for the benefit of others and I'll be very careful before being critical of any product
becuse someone's living depends on that product.
Doug

" There is hardly anything that some man can't make a little worse and sell for a little less and those who consider price alone are that man's lawful prey . "</HTML>
September 10, 2004 01:21PM
<HTML>Hey Doug,

I think it's great you are testing NXT, if it suits your criteria and what your customers want, that's most important. I certainly didn't want to sound to mean no pro detailer should use simply because its primary audience is not pros.

Please continue to update your testing.</HTML>
September 10, 2004 01:35PM
<HTML>Don't worry about me relaxing Doug, Everyday is Saturday for me now,and i do, what i want to, when I want to! I realy don't know what, or how much you do know,but from reading your postings sounds like you haven't been at this game too long. I was just trying to help you keep from what I was doing,and that was buying this,that,and the other off shelf products.
I read,read,and listened to the Greats of this forum,and homed on Bud Abraham, Scott Perkin,Jim Hamill,Brian Angelucci,as they seemed to be the tru Pro's. Ron Ketchum wasn't posting for a time here,and I didn't know who he was, then when he came back. Scott Perkin gave him much KUDOS of being the Super Star of this Business. I'm in much agreement with Scott. You can't beat any direction given by Bud Abraham or Ron Ketchum. The going with the professional products lin, is what all of the afore mentioned folks gave to me. This was what I was passing on to you as well,saving some rubbing, buffing time,and spending you monies figuring out and testing all of the Bull Sh!t off shelf products,that ain't worth your time.....................:-)
Unless you have a Glossometer, forget trying to compair products,as most people sit on their best "EYE".......Ha!,Ha!............... :-) Brandy !</HTML>
September 10, 2004 04:30PM
<HTML>Brandy : How did people know if their wax was good before glossometers were invented ? The answer is that human eyes are good at seeing differences in depth and gloss. In this case, there was enough of a difference that I could tell the NXT beat the Duragloss. In the last test, the waxes were so close in appearance that I could not pick a winner. If a glossometer had picked a winner, what good would that do us since we are waxing for human eyes, not glossometers ? If people can't see a difference, for all practical purposes there is no difference.
While it is good of you to try to save me from buying all of the junk off of retail shelves, you are too late. I've already tried over 50 different waxes and most were disappointing in one aspect or another.
NXT has been knocked by some people for its apparent lack of durability even though Meguiar's calls it their long lasting wax. One participant said it only lasted her about 2 weeks. I believe it lasts about 1.5 months on a hood without a garage.
If one does a lot of jobs, product cost becomes important and NXT is expensive.
You are right about the experts on this forum and I do listen to their advice.
Doug</HTML>
Glossometer Re: New NXT experiment
September 10, 2004 06:50PM
<HTML> Well Doug, this is just more of the same old discussion, concerning who has the best product, and who has the best pricing, which has never been discussed too much at length. Personally, I wouldn't know a Glossometer, if I were whizzing on one. It has been referred to on the forum, as tool thats been used to basically seperate the blind from the misinformed, concerning Gloss,etc,etc,etc. You are right, as I've wondered "WHO' was the Judge and Jury, before all of the Buck Rodgers Equipment showed up,declaring what was this,and who was that,so on, and so forth. You know what I'm talking about. Please don't use me for any knowledge, as I was sucked in by all of the new TV hype for all of the Wonder Chemicals. I just read and listened to the folks on the forum,then homed in on what seemed to be the best products ,bought some,and went to work.
I'm not knocking NXT Product at all,and its probably very good,but as Grumpie,and Buda have both told me, the proper prepping of the vehicle will be the deciding factor, of what the end result will be. I'm almost totally sold on water sanding to level before putting on any product,irreguardless whose Snake Oil it is......This is another reason I'm going to attend Autoint Prep Excellence class. I've been told by too many folks now,how much it will improve the attendee's intelligence.
Doug ,please don't take any offence to any post I make.Posts are like A-holes everbody's got one..............................:-) Brandy !</HTML>
oli
Re: Glossometer Re: New NXT experiment
September 10, 2004 10:06PM
<HTML>When and where is this "Autoint Prep Excellence class"
I'm in SoCal.</HTML>
Re: Glossometer Re: New NXT experiment
September 10, 2004 11:20PM
<HTML>Doug ,its in Cinncinnati,Ohio. You can get on the Autoint.com and get the details. I've been emailing back and forth with Jim Hamill,and Brian Angelucci,and wanting to try to get into the same class with them.This would be great if all of us could get into the same class. Cinn may or may not be to far for you to travel. I guess that Jim, and Brian are talking about the Janurary/Feburary Class. I'm just 2 hours away from Cinn,so it won't be a problem for me...........I've had several tell me its the best of the best. I believe anything I do won't harm my old Pea Brain........Brandy!

I think its $300.00 for the class, and its a 2 day affair........Email Grump, as he is one of the instructors.</HTML>
Sorry OLI:
September 10, 2004 11:22PM
<HTML>Sorry Oli, I thought I wuz answering Doug....Still a excellent course..Brandy !</HTML>
Re: Sorry OLI:
September 11, 2004 12:58AM
<HTML>On a 1 stage paint job that is in average condition ,properly prepped the NXT lasted 1.5 months and the Duragloss section 3 months almost and the trunk combining 1 coat of NXT and 24 hours later 1 coat of Detailplus Diamond sealant lasted the same,but initial gloss was breath taking...Gloss on all were good...but I know when the protection has wore off... because of the stains from the trees in my yard and the rain streaks that are now in the paint..how in the world you could ever judge a clearcoat paint for any test without proper tools is very so so</HTML>
September 11, 2004 01:07AM
<HTML>If your going to test durability use a one stage paint thats in decent condition where the product has to work its azz off to be what we call a pro product ,and you can see the wear and gloss disappear without 20/20 vision ,then on a 2 stage paint job it should be great with proper prep and application..just my opinion.!Brandy Im a watersanding fanatic too!!!Willie G</HTML>
September 11, 2004 01:12AM
<HTML>Forgot.... the car in question gets run through the local carwash who sends me a lot of referrals for tint/detail at least once a week and sits outside the rest of the time with only a quick detailer after leaving the carwash!</HTML>
Come Back Willie G!
September 11, 2004 02:28AM
<HTML>Willie G, how the Hell are Ya???? I thought you wuz one of the many I thought that had left to go hunt up somemore Horses Asses. I wuz off for awhile doing Dr. things and came back, and all the tru Pro's seemed to be gone.When I left, Chris Gaines was Pissing and Moaning with everybody including Buda, and Grumpie Ketchum. Can you Imagine that!!!

I'm leaving for your neck of the woods probably early next Wednesday.I want very much to meet you and Paul, while in the Raleigh area.
Going to stop in Winston-Salem first to visit Kendall Johnson, he was on the Biker Build off sometime back. I don't know if you watch,know of, or remember him, if you do watch the series. Kindell is real good folks,and builds some extreme bikes. I sent a friend of mine to him, and you ought to see that thing he bought. He called me, discuised his voice and razzed me into detailing a so called factory Harley. Yeah right, man you should have seen that rig. 190 Certified Dyno Horse Power to the back wheel. That thing is beautiful. I detailed it for him ,didn't charge him a thing,but he had to let me cool it through the neighborhood. That ride got the old juices flowing. My wife,said I wuz too old, couldn't see, no reflexes, couldn't hear, couldn't travel for more than an hour before having to stop and Pee, and buying another Harley was completely out of the question. I said yes dear,you forgot one thing, thats a Cup ,Dog,and a Cane!
Willie G Email me your phone #, and address................ :-) Brandy !</HTML>
Re: Come Back Willie G!
September 11, 2004 03:00AM
<HTML>Are you referring to Willie, out of Hickory?

If so, he is listed on the www.autoint.com site under the Find a Detailer area.

Don't be surprised if he don't call back, I was there earlier this year, left a message and never heard a word back.

But, I understand that, after all, I am "Grumpy".

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
September 12, 2004 12:06AM
<HTML>On the way Eric...High Point Grumpy not to far from Hickory thou!!!!</HTML>
September 12, 2004 03:29AM
<HTML> melissa G : Your NXT durability results seem to confirm mine. Good to hear it.

My latest test is on a single-stage paint job also.
Doug</HTML>
September 17, 2004 04:00AM
<HTML>Bud : I hope you caught that : melissa G replicated my NXT results on durability ( 1.5 months ) , which is close to 48 days, which in your estimation was not possible for a " plain wax " to achieve. I bring this up because it was my test validity you brought into question in that past post.
Doug</HTML>
September 17, 2004 02:03PM
<HTML> Brandy : As you advised, I purchased two Valuguard waxes from Auto Int.
I tried out the OEM one-step but have not yet tried the Finishing Wax.

The OEM was applied to a clean half of a pick-up bed side . The other half got Malm's Polish & Glaze formula #10 topped with Malm's Liquid Carnauba Wax . I wanted to see if this highly-touted one-step cleaner/wax (OEM ) could compete with a first class two-step process.

It was apparent from the start that the OEM felt abrasive and it cleaned well . Application and wiping were easy as advertised . It left the finish slick to the touch too.

Unfortunately, the OEM left the paint looking significantly worse than the Malm's . Less gloss and depth and an apparent dulling effect from the abrasive cleaner in it.

I will not use the OEM again . I think Duragloss CCP and NXT are equally easy to use and give better cosmetic results. Griot's, Malm's and Mothers remain my favorites. If you need a lot of cleaning power , I recommend using a compound or pre-cleaner before waxing.

I did not wait for durability results . I invite you to duplicate my testing and see whether you agree.

I am puzzled that you say you believe in " water sanding " before applying any product . I've been taught not to strip away paint unless it is necessary to correct defects.

Doug</HTML>
oli
September 17, 2004 03:37PM
<HTML>So, Doug, I am curious, what are you going to use to get rid of that dulling?
I have not yet been able to remove it myself.</HTML>
September 17, 2004 04:26PM
<HTML> Oli : I already went over the area the OEM was on with Malm's #10 polish , which seemed to remove the dulling . Meguiar's Swirl Free Polish or Griot's fine polishes should work about as well .
If you are trying to restore the shine to a precious car , the safest way is to use a fine polish applied with an orbital and to keep at it until you get the result you want. If that won't do the trick, you can use the same fine polish, first applied with a rotary buffer / foam pad combo . Then finish up with the orbital or by hand with a lot of elbow grease .

Note : To do customers' cars quickly , you can use a rotary with a more aggressive product , then use the last procedure described above.

The dulling caused by aggressive cleaner/ waxes is roughing of the paint. Polishing levels the paint by removing a very small amount of paint . This is no big deal unless you do it so often that you remove your paint over time .
I hope that solves the problem for you .
Doug</HTML>
September 17, 2004 11:16PM
<HTML>We are a specialty shop where dealers drop off the worst of the worst for detailing../Window Tint/vinyl&leather repair.To make money and have a finish thats slick as a patch of ice ..I use the 3M Trizact process 1500 then 3000 then black waffle with trizact compound....Go to Tintdude.com and the detailing forum is where I post my products tried and used and the process I use ...We dont watersand your average detail..but half our business is what others cant touch..I'm Tintbandit on the detailing forum...nothing to sell...just hands on ...that the the average joe can relate too..and I stress what I do cant be done over night and you must have the right equipment too!We also fix those 10.00 wash Jobs and 99.00 full details..ha ha ha</HTML>
oli
September 18, 2004 11:14PM
<HTML>I am curious about the results and procedures from August 6 where you said "Will post the procedure tomorrow and a few xtras".</HTML>
oli
September 18, 2004 11:16PM
<HTML>Sorry, Melissa about previous post but I didn't see next page.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login